PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration Gearbox

Nova-Boy
13-03-03, 08:09 AM
Sorry if this is one of those questions that keeps comming up.

I want to change my gearbox on my 1.2 4 speed. What is the best gearbox that will fit and give me best acceleration from the lights. I'm not bothered about top speed as long as it will hit 60-70 i dont mind!

Thanks

Aragorn
13-03-03, 10:36 AM
for balls out accelleration u want a close ratio F10 from a 1400 SR coupled with the 4.18 FD from a 1300 SR

u might however be better off buyin some engien mods too as you'll prolly notice these more

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 10:50 AM
Quaiffe LSD

Nova-Boy
13-03-03, 11:17 AM
I am planning to do lots of engine mods aswell as talked about in the 1.2 8v tuning guide.

Quaiffe LSD

What does that mean??

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 11:23 AM
goto nova-land.com > how to guides > mechanical

or it may be

goto nova-land.com > how to guides > engine

theres a guide in there

basically its a gearbox component

Jim
13-03-03, 06:59 PM
LSD = Limited Slip Differential.

Basically it'll help reduce wheelspin.

Jim

mowgli
13-03-03, 08:36 PM
the 4 speed is actually a good box for acceleration. As the ratios are wide spread, you don't need to change gear too often and with a revvy motor, you should get 60 in second gear. if you put in a close ratio box, you need to change up to third, costing maybe 1/2 a second.
Vauxhall actually put a wider ratio box in 16v Astras so that they could do 60 in second, so that the marketing people could sell them as 0-60 in 7 seconds.

decent tyres and front shockers, with a proper suspension alignment would probably help your acceleration a lot more.

P.S. if you do go for the 5 speeder, remember to buy the 5 speed gear stick assy as well, they are different. also get the linkage rebushed it improves the gearchange a lot.

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 09:09 PM
whats ths score with quickshifts?

asking around for a while now

they worth the purchase?

NovaNeil
14-03-03, 12:38 PM
Why would you want to fit an LSD to a 1.2? Theres barely enough power to spin the front wheels, so whats the point in spending ?500 on a device that limits wheel spin. Even a standard GTE or GSi wouldn't really benifit 0-60 with an LSD as you can plant your foot to the floor in first gear on a dry round with decent tyres and not get much spin.

I have a quickshift on my GSi, its a red dot one from demon tweeks. For what you get its a big waste of money, all it is is a piece of metal with 2 ball joints on. But on the car it makes a big difference. Theres a much shorter throw between gears meaning your 0-60 is reduced by about 1/2 sec, only problem is, if you try to change too fast the syncromesh doesn't like it, and it can damage your gearbox if you constantly do it.

Nova-Boy
14-03-03, 03:05 PM
So should i just Fcuk it off and keep my 4 speed for best 0-60 times? Saves money and time and should be ok?

rgv_stu
14-03-03, 03:09 PM
nova neil dont suppose u got a pic of the quickshift??

mikeoxford
14-03-03, 05:01 PM
duno wether to fork out for one or not

may wait to see if a second hand one comes along