PDA

View Full Version : Flushing!

Tazzy
13-03-03, 01:07 AM
just wondering, about de-locking, de-badging and de-side-repeating!

one theyve been removed and metal plates welded in etc, and flushed with filler!

whats the deal with the paint job, would the whole panel have to be respryed (wing, door, bonnet, boot, etc!) or can a light coat over the worked area be blended into the current paintwork?

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 11:26 AM
an area can be blended

but if the whole pannel is well discoloured they may T-Cut it all or something

ade
13-03-03, 12:53 PM
if you de side repeat (pointless in my opinion) and de handle (think this is dangerious but thats my opinion) you would prob be best respraying the entire panel (whole side of car) to get a good even colour match - usually they would spray whole wing, door.

You could maks and feather in just a small area but its quicker and easier to do the whole panel.

whitey
13-03-03, 02:30 PM
if you de side repeat (pointless in my opinion) and de handle (think this is dangerious but thats my opinion) you would prob be best respraying the entire panel (whole side of car) to get a good even colour match - usually they would spray whole wing, door.

You could maks and feather in just a small area but its quicker and easier to do the whole panel.

Ade, why u think de-handling dangerous!? Coz its not easy for peeps to open door when trying to rescue you?!?

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 09:32 PM
chances are itll be jammed anyway

Tazzy
14-03-03, 01:53 AM
well i wont be able to afford to whole lot to spray up, theres no point, as long as the over spray can match the current colour, its sound!

i hate locks and a i hate side repeaters even more!

i see de-locking and de-handling more of a security inhancement than a mod, but te insurers never see it that way!

money grabbing b*****s

?Marty?
14-03-03, 02:12 AM
havin'g side-repeaters, and being to open the door from the outside (remote opening not counted) is an MoT requirement.

As for de-handling - most Thatcham Cat 1's automatically lock the doors as the engine is started and unlcok them once it's switched off (anti-hijack). So even if there's no handles, you can wire it up to the alarm to 'pop' the door open once the engine is off (as it' wouldn't be running after a crash - if it was, you wouldn't be able to get in even WITH handles as it'd be locked).

whitey
14-03-03, 12:19 PM
So marty you are saying that cars will fail the MOT if they cant be opened from the outside!? How comes ive seen soooooooooo many dehandled cars driving around!?

Also, after crash and car locked, smash window and pop lock! And to be honest, if the crash is that bad that you cant open the door yourself coz u out cold or injured, then you are most likely gonna need cutting out!

Fill me in on the dehandling coz id love to know how so many cras without handles have MOT certs!

Alex
14-03-03, 12:29 PM
usually have buttons on the car somewhere

?Marty?
15-03-03, 01:56 AM
It has to have something ON the car, to allow it to be opened from the outside.

Various methods - botton on car (under mirrors usually), or you fit a wire/string to pull/push to open it from the outside.

And once u get the certificate, you can just remove them. mine tuns off alarm key fob, so i'm just gonna tape (spare) one onto the car door with cellotape and see if i can get away with it! :lol:

whitey
15-03-03, 02:20 PM
hMMM seems rather a lot of hassle to me! I aint munchin a hole in me beautiful DTM's!

Mite just slip the bloke a fiver! Mite work! Tape the fob to the door, surely that ISNT good enough!?

Need some ideas for this coz mines gettin dehandled soon!

Tazzy
16-03-03, 03:22 AM
de-locking - i deffo want to take the locks off and CL, much easier and safer!

de-handling - i aint bothered about this, ive heard alot of ppl have put a button under the wing mirrors!

de-side-repeaters - i hate them, annoying little f***ers, i want them off, surely if i keep the front indicators, i can whip the little flashers straight off?

whitey
17-03-03, 12:20 AM
If its after a B reg i think it is, you need them on the side to pass MOT!

Getting wing mirrors with indicators will solve this prob!

But then like i said! I wouldnt wanna dehandle it and have to built a switch into a nice new set of mirrors!

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 12:23 AM
if you have a mk2 facelift then you dont need side repeaters as the indicators are just about visible from the sides and u get away with it

PE4
22-03-03, 06:52 PM
It doesn't matter what age the car is, if there are no fitted side repeaters then they are not even looked at. They will only get checked if they are actually there...if they can't see them, they don't check them!

I went and cleared with the guy who did my MOT's, because I have an early B reg, and a G reg, both without side repeaters (even though the g reg did have them factory fitted)...not a problem for MOT he said......

whitey
22-03-03, 07:44 PM
THATS BULL!

I know that for sure! All cars after B had them fitted thats for sure! If you aint got em then youve had replacement wings or them flushed.

And mike as for seeing the front from side that is debatable some places will let it ride, others wont!

PE4
23-03-03, 09:16 PM
IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THEY WHERE FITTED AS STANDARD! IF THEY ARE NOT THERE, IE NO HOLES OR REPEATERS THEN IT DOESN'T MATTER!

FACT....

...MUPPET!

Like I said

whitey
23-03-03, 09:34 PM
Come on then i need proof! Dont go shouting muppet! Just remember that where is the proof that they wernt there! I could take mine off, flush and spray and they would think "oh they wernt there" would they! "PASS"

LOL

Tazzy
23-03-03, 10:51 PM
i read somewhere that if you take side repeaters off and flush the wing, you wont fail the MoT (as long as you have the front indicators) cuz they aint there to be checked, but if they are there but dont work, that can fail!

ade
24-03-03, 12:35 AM
found this on the following site

http://www.motester.co.uk/index.html

Lights

All required lights are checked for:

operation
condition
security

Side lights and headlamps
are correct type
dip and aim.
Stop lights, indicators and hazard lights*
are correct type
do not interfere with each other in operation
driver's tell-tale works with respect to indicators, or there is an audible warning system.
Rear Fog lamps**

must be fitted to the centre or offside of the vehicle
tell-tale must work
must not be affected by other lamps and not be obscured
must be red.
Number plate lamps

All original lamps must be fitted and working. Rear reflectors

There must be two reflectors fitted reasonably symmetrically, securely attached and not obscured.
* Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1986, but if fitted, must be tested.** Must be fitted to all vehicles first used on or after 1st April 1980.

Please note bold areas!

I thank YOU!

ade
24-03-03, 12:38 AM
Whitey - ref door dehandling - I just find it dangerous - granted if in a smash you aint gonna be able to get door open ir door damaged - but what if you were in a car on fire both you and passenger were unconscious and a passer by or other motorist came up and couldnt find handle to open the door.

Nowmost peeps would smash handle but some peeps will just panic and not know what to do

Like I say - my opinion I;d like summut to grab onto "just incase" - and I like door handles

8)

Tazzy
24-03-03, 12:40 AM
Fair Nuff!

mikeoxford
24-03-03, 12:56 AM
Id like summut to grab onto "just incase"

im sure you would!

whitey
24-03-03, 08:27 PM
Thank you for confirming that for me ade! Whos the muppet now? LMAO!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

But as i said! A lot of MOT places will let it ride! Just you neva know!

De-handling is something which i think looks nice but is troublesome in what you described ade and also MOT coz you need a way to open door to pass MOT!

However, i will be getting an alarm with anti-hijack so you are locked in either way! Unless you can be bothered to pull up pins each time!

Chris LR
24-03-03, 08:42 PM
Save all this hassle :roll: get a bent MOT

mikeoxford
25-03-03, 09:57 AM
Save all this hassle :roll: get a bent MOT

yeah 8)

and then crash a week l8a cos your car ent road worthy :roll:

or do as i did, have an MOT to find out whats wrong. sort the problems out. ignore emissions, and other stuff like that we dont need :lol: THEN get a bent MOT !

?Marty?
25-03-03, 10:00 PM
Depends on how 'bent' the mot person is.

Mine will tell me what's up, and i'll tell him whether i'm gonna do anything about it or not (depending on whether it's to do with safety).

Then he gives me the ticket. This is at a Vauxhall main dealers too. lol