PDA

View Full Version : Important turbo guages

Nova_Tek
16-10-09, 05:44 PM
Volt and oil pressure guages are already there thanks to the SR dials and boost guage is deffo on the list.

What other guages are important/must have when running a turbo?

Thanks muchly :thumb:

AlexW
16-10-09, 05:47 PM
None really but oil temp might be good one if you like. Dont want too many gauges cluttering up your interior do you?!

MK999
16-10-09, 05:50 PM
Dont want too many gauges cluttering up your interior do you?!
:gay:

Oil temp is a good one to keep an eye on anything spiking up too high, especially if you're running without an oil cooler. Might be worth getting a more accurate oil pressure gauge as well, not sure I'd trust a standard nova gauge with oil temp/press on a turbo build?

djbrowney
16-10-09, 06:02 PM
the most important next to a oil pressure is a wide band if you setting it up your self !!!

craig green
16-10-09, 07:44 PM
Boost gauges for before intercooler & aft TB. Maybe a fuel pressure gauge & as said a wideband is damn handy.

Dont think you can do it on the cheap though.

General Baxter
16-10-09, 07:54 PM
mines a diesel and its having some

oil pressure, oil temp, boost, egt, wideband lol

Benn
16-10-09, 09:10 PM
Boost gauge, std proper clocks have oil pressure... All you really need.

Nova_Tek
16-10-09, 09:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. oil temp sounds like a good one especially for those hot days and if I ever use the car out of the UK (hence me wanting to do A/C whilst doing the conversion), boost for obvious reasons. I'll stick with my oil guage on the SR clocks but I'll probably change the sender as it is old.

Should be able to find suitable homes for these 2 guages with the ample amount of dashboad blanks the ghetto merit has

Rich
16-10-09, 11:38 PM
im going to be running boost pressure, oil temp and oil pressure. Dont trust the standard nova oil pressure guage

Nova_Tek
17-10-09, 10:11 AM
Ok been checking out some dials boost and oil temp found these items which, reading the write up, seem to be pretty decent and they don't break the bank. They also come with all the bits too.

What do you think?

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_82

and the next model up

http://www.rspec.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_84

What's more useful; Boost in BAR or boost in PSI?

AlexW
17-10-09, 10:34 AM
Those links arnt working for me atm.
As for BAR/PSi theres no reason you cant just pick whatever you prefer, me, id go for psi.

Nova_Tek
17-10-09, 10:47 AM
Those links work fine here dude.

djbrowney
17-10-09, 11:28 AM
are you not going to consider a wideband ???

AlexW
17-10-09, 12:11 PM
Links are working now, dunno why it didnt earlier. Those types of gauges are great, had them in a silvia.

Are you running aftermarket ecu etc? If so like browney says get a wideband.

Nova_Tek
17-10-09, 12:12 PM
With the wideband, it's gonna be useful but I don't have any plans to actually go down the tuning route straight away. I know that many people say this end end up doing the opposite but for me getting the car running and driving it is my main priority. This will allow me to actually get to learn the cars driving dynamics and learn to drive it before I start going crazy with power.

If I start to go down the big power tuning route I will go for a wideband but as a standard engine I just want the basics covered :thumb:

What dopes everyone think of the gauges I linked?

Guderian
19-10-09, 01:43 PM
...Sorry.. what is a wideband? Is it an (AFM) air-fuel mix...?

Stoo
19-10-09, 01:49 PM
a wideband lambda sensor measuers the Air fuel ratio over a wider spectrum than the OEM lambda (if it has one fitted)

Usually more accurate and quicker to register a change in ratio too for more accurate tuning

dan16v
19-10-09, 02:24 PM
I use the SPA gauges, this way you get two read outs on one gauge!. I just use the boost pressure/ temp, and an oil pressure/temp. You can change them between bar or psi, and deg c/ def f, would never rely on a nova dash to give oil pressure reading.

craig green
19-10-09, 02:39 PM
Yeah I like Racetech dual display gauges. Not cheap!

MK999
19-10-09, 02:40 PM
Yeah I like Racetech dual display gauges. Not cheap!
if they're the ones I'm thinking of, £180 ish?

craig green
19-10-09, 02:44 PM
Yeah. Cheap gauges are pretty pointless tbh.

Do it right or dont bother. (best to not bother) lol

dan16v
19-10-09, 02:48 PM
The SPA ones are about £170, but well worth it imo, far less clutter.

MK999
19-10-09, 02:48 PM
I've looked around at a few gauges before now, hard to spot the middle ground though. There's the obvious cheap gauges for £50 for 3 etc that probably just guess somewhere between min and max numbers, then the opposite end you've got stuff like that at £180 a guage (excluding stuff like stack dashes etc) but my perception of it was the £50-70 kinda of area can't be tooooo bad.

craig green
19-10-09, 02:50 PM
Tbh I havent looked in years, but like most products within the modified car industry. The market is full of 'pretend crap' for ebay & the like. Avoid like the plague IMO.

dan16v
19-10-09, 02:51 PM
Seen a few back to back test's, and a fair few times the cheaper gauges out perform the £££££ ones! So you cant always go off the price! (by cheap i dont mean the £50 for 3), those ones will no doubt be toss!

Nova_Tek
19-10-09, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. I've done a search and checked reviwes and what not fopr the gaues I linked and the expensive model show has come up with good reviews about accuracy etc.

I've seen guages for £15 although can't remember where but it's just plain obvious that they are pants.

MK999
19-10-09, 03:55 PM
Seen a few back to back test's, and a fair few times the cheaper gauges out perform the £££££ ones! So you cant always go off the price! (by cheap i dont mean the £50 for 3), those ones will no doubt be toss!

Yeah I mentioned those as the obvious 'toss' ones, but there's no way to tell whats overpriced for what it is, whats all singing all dancing spot on accurate and whats a diamond in the rough of the £50 bracket. Any idea where those back to back tests are? Wouldn't mind checking them out. :)

dan16v
19-10-09, 04:31 PM
The testing was done on boost gauges, think it was in fast ford or performance ford, was ages ago though! sorry for the lack of help. I would just go with a well known brand, doubt you will go far wrong!