PDA

View Full Version : What Car?

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 08:50 PM
OK, get the choice of a new company car, whittled it down to a choice of three...

BMW 1-series Coupe 120d SE or VW Scirocco GT TDI 170 or VW Golf 2.0 GTD 170

http://www.channel4.com/4car/media/B/bmw/1-series-coupe/03-large/07-1coupe-uk-fs-a.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/9317/images/2VW-Scirocco-CAR-Review.jpg

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/upload/19937/images/1VWGolfGTDCARreview.jpg

xe_nova9
15-10-09, 08:51 PM
Golf looks good :thumb:

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 08:52 PM
well, it'd actually be a 5dr...

Rickardo
15-10-09, 08:52 PM
Scirocco.

other 2 are bob. :thumb:

Sturge
15-10-09, 08:53 PM
rwd correctness of the bm!!!

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 08:53 PM
couple of things to consider...
> little'un on the way, got to consider logistics... leans towards 5dr (Golf)
> I do circa 70'000miles a year :) so MPG (BMW) & kerb weight is a important! (Scirocco)
> it needs to look good (Scirocco) lol

http://img158.imageshack.us/img158/7301/carchoice.jpg

joff-turbo-nova
15-10-09, 08:54 PM
This gets my vote :thumb:

http://fancytuning.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/bb-vw-scirocco-1.jpg

comptoncj
15-10-09, 08:54 PM
Scirocco definatly, nice looking car

mayhem
15-10-09, 08:57 PM
will the bmw the 'saloon' version? cause in hb the look sh!t.

black bmw + bbs wheels = lush

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 08:58 PM
yes Mayham, the saloon version is called Coupe over here :)

Stuart
15-10-09, 08:59 PM
We looked at One series's's's's's, the boot it fapping tiny. A honda civic of the shape you had a F/S thread for lately would have been perfect imho.

urgh VAG cars.... I wouldnt even want to force Sloth to drive one lol. Hateful, dull, lifeless, uncomfortable and overpriced tosh lol

burgo
15-10-09, 09:00 PM
Scirocco

get it?? good

MK999
15-10-09, 09:02 PM
BMW, did I just pick the fastest one there? maybe. lol

Tommy_nova
15-10-09, 09:03 PM
Scirocco ftw

novaload1992
15-10-09, 09:06 PM
Scirocco in white

Plug
15-10-09, 09:14 PM
rwd correctness of the bm!!!

totally agree

Ash
15-10-09, 09:25 PM
BMW if you can get the M-sport pack. If not still the BMW, but check the spec - they seem to come with f-all as standard, everything is an option. Shame its not the 123d M-coupe as they are uber rapid :d

Golf looks pretty rude tho... hmmm

'Rocco shouldn't be a derv.

blue_peg_16v
15-10-09, 09:25 PM
out the 3 id go for the bm specialy with the millage youl be doing alot more comfortable car imo love the rocco but doing 70k a year in it would be a pain in the ass

Stuart
15-10-09, 09:26 PM
Id go for a boggo spec 3 series for the extra space personally.

John
15-10-09, 09:26 PM
Either scirroco or golf, they're both fapping ace cars!

Plug
15-10-09, 09:28 PM
Scirocco would be a no go cant you remember top gear lol

although in the advert the top gear boys made it sounded really fast

MK999
15-10-09, 09:41 PM
'Rocco shouldn't be a derv.

Least not a slow one, proper performance derv (did I really just type that? I'll be going for electric cars next lol) would have been cool, and still within what VW wanted to do with the whole thing.

Pistol Pete
15-10-09, 09:44 PM
Golf IMO. 1 series will be waaay to small and cramped. Scirocco should be hot petrol engined only!

And re: Stus comment about a boggo 3 series. Dont do it. A bog spec will be just that. Bog spec i.e toilet.

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the replies and opinions chaps, none of them gone unnoticed!

Funny Stu should mention the 1series boot size, as when Michelle and I checked it out we thought it we huge, lol, much bigger than the Jeep boot, and 172 boot

John
15-10-09, 10:05 PM
Congrats to you both on the baby btw!

I've pdi'd a gtd today, lovely car! Actually i'd go for that over the rocco. The boot is tiny on the rocco!

MK2 Cat
15-10-09, 10:17 PM
Golf! The Scirocco is ugly as fook.

MK999
15-10-09, 10:19 PM
Golf! The Scirocco is ugly as fook.

Awesome looking cars (for a modern car at least), engine of fail. You have it the wrong way round lol

trackdaynova
15-10-09, 11:11 PM
Thanks John... Kinda explains the Nova breakage now eh, hehe

what's PDI'd mean mate?

Mike
15-10-09, 11:18 PM
id have none personally. But look towards either Volvo's or SAABs are most are fully loaded as standard.

Novasport
15-10-09, 11:41 PM
120d Coupe all the way, you will not be disappointed! The new 177bhp diesel engine and runing costs are the best out there. I personally think BMW are miles ahead with the combination of economy, performance & refinement. The 1 series handle absolutely suberb and are a right laugh to drive.
I work for BMW and I take 1 series as a company car, I had a 123d for a few months and it was fantastic, it did 40-42mpg on short journeys to work(3miles) of enthusiastic driving. Got 62 mpg out of a 118d on a trip to Wales!
BTW, the 118d is only £35 a year road tax and still 148bhp iirc.
1 series Coupes are still a rare sight on the roads, Golfs and even the Scirroco's are everywhere.
SE spec is good with climate & PDC but M Sport spec is good if you can get it. Also Sport spec with a few optional extras is good as you get the superb Sport seats.

wwmnw
16-10-09, 01:42 AM
I'd go for the BMW all the way even if it is ugly, I like the Golf and Sirocco, but they're just the same car basically, BMW for the comfort and correct wheel drive.

Asa-James
16-10-09, 07:08 AM
what's PDI'd mean mate?
Pre Deliver Inspection, alls it is is to make sure the monkeys in munich bolted it together properly and its mechanically ready for the customer.

edt--and as much as i dont like them, i'd say 5 door golfs based purely on practicality, the other two will make you look like your having a very cheap mid life crisis (i wanted a sports car but all i got was this pseudo diesel coupe...)

Welsh Dan
16-10-09, 08:44 AM
Another vote for the 1 Series here :D.

ade
16-10-09, 09:56 AM
Go golf - BMW looks like its melted and as my miussus always says - "why get that one - why not just save up and get a propper BMW!"
The Scirrocco is nice but its just a the current fad.

Golfs are timeless and v reliable...

Welsh Dan
16-10-09, 10:28 AM
Golfs are timeless and v reliable...

They are perceived that way, but they're no more reliable than a Vauxhall or Ford, both of which are cheaper to fix than a VW. :)

brake-dust
16-10-09, 10:33 AM
the Sciroccois a gorgeous looking car but apparently the diesels ****e, watch the review top gear did on them, bmw for me :thumb:

Pete
16-10-09, 11:02 AM
the sirroco :) looks beautiful ;)

Angus Closier
16-10-09, 02:25 PM
New golf is amazing! my brothers just got a gtd! well worth it! by far the best golf yet!!

auzzy-b
16-10-09, 02:31 PM
Going off looks only id say NO to the bmw!! Do you not watch top gear.. There for cocks lol. I originally thought golf but all companys seem to use them now? So id go for the sirrocco as is different and kinda cool:)

Ben
16-10-09, 02:38 PM
1 series!

Stuart
16-10-09, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the replies and opinions chaps, none of them gone unnoticed!

Funny Stu should mention the 1series boot size, as when Michelle and I checked it out we thought it we huge, lol, much bigger than the Jeep boot, and 172 boot

the one serieseses that we looked at wouldnt have fitted the buggy in without a seat going down... Atleast the clio can "just" about take a Quinny etc lol

Even the X3's boot is "tiny" (read that as wont take a buggy without dismatling)

Makes it sound like we have a massive buggy, but its no bigger than all the usual suspects.

burgo
16-10-09, 06:00 PM
havnt you got a one series already???

Novasport
16-10-09, 08:46 PM
the one serieseses that we looked at wouldnt have fitted the buggy in without a seat going down... Atleast the clio can "just" about take a Quinny etc lol

Even the X3's boot is "tiny" (read that as wont take a buggy without dismatling)

Makes it sound like we have a massive buggy, but its no bigger than all the usual suspects.

Err, did they try a beach buggy?!? The X3 boot is quite big, its actually as big if not bigger than the old X5:confused:

"why get that one - why not just save up and get a propper BMW!"

It is a proper BMW, at least it does not platform share with 3 other makes of car, ie VW, Seat, Skoda & Audi! It is an awesome car to drive, I assume you have never driven one.

Novasport
16-10-09, 08:49 PM
Going off looks only id say NO to the bmw!! Do you not watch top gear.. There for cocks lol.

I do, their most recent comment was that the cocks now drive Audis!
Although there are a lot of cocks that do drive BMW's

rwaggers
16-10-09, 08:59 PM
VW Scirocco in white

Stuart
16-10-09, 09:04 PM
Err, did they try a beach buggy?!? The X3 boot is quite big, its actually as big if not bigger than the old X5:confused:

It is a proper BMW, at least it does not platform share with 3 other makes of car, ie VW, Seat, Skoda & Audi! It is an awesome car to drive, I assume you have never driven one.

good lord the X5 is less practical than my vx then lmao

the one series does drive really well though, just a shame its far far too small for "family" use :(

John
16-10-09, 09:20 PM
They are perceived that way, but they're no more reliable than a Vauxhall or Ford, both of which are cheaper to fix than a VW. :)

You really think so? I worked for vauxhall for 7 years, and i'd say the vauxhall is complete rubbish compared to vw (where i have worked for nearly 2 years now) I don't see half as many stupid/expensive warranty repairs as i did at vauxhall! Tbh repair prices on a vw aren't that bad! On a par with vauxhall i'd say some things are cheaper!!

Welsh Dan
16-10-09, 09:38 PM
You really think so? I worked for vauxhall for 7 years, and i'd say the vauxhall is complete rubbish compared to vw (where i have worked for nearly 2 years now) I don't see half as many stupid/expensive warranty repairs as i did at vauxhall! Tbh repair prices on a vw aren't that bad! On a par with vauxhall i'd say some things are cheaper!!

I do, at least it looked that way when I looked into diesels by the three marques. The VAG's seemed to have more turbo failures than the major faults on the others combined, then there's the passat doors that fill with water etc.. I suppose it does depend on where you look, and I'm a bit biased because no Volkswagen has ever really appealed to me.

John
17-10-09, 10:31 AM
I do, at least it looked that way when I looked into diesels by the three marques. The VAG's seemed to have more turbo failures than the major faults on the others combined, then there's the passat doors that fill with water etc.. I suppose it does depend on where you look, and I'm a bit biased because no Volkswagen has ever really appealed to me.

Ahh, turbo failure, ahh yeah all down to customers using incorrect oils/not having them serviced at the recommended interval. tbh the newer turbo stuff is very good imho. Oh and btw i've never seen a passat door full of water? what's this? 3b or 3c passat?
Like i said, i worked on vauxhalls for 7 years, and now vw for 2, i have to say i much prefer the vw stuff (never thought i'd say it tbf!) Like you say though Dan, it's all down to personal preference.:thumb:

Welsh Dan
17-10-09, 10:59 AM
Sods law, I can't find the stuff on the passat doors now lol.

trackdaynova
17-10-09, 12:54 PM
sorry, should have said - we're getting my wife a new car aswell, which will be a Golf 5door, maybe not the GTD due to price, but certainly a respectable specc'd MK4 if not MK5. alternatively, she still likes the Megane derriere

so this car will mainly be for me/ work, but in evenings & weekends it will be a 'family' car

John
17-10-09, 01:07 PM
try and get a mk5 over a mk4 if you cab afford olly, the chassis is so much better imo.

trackdaynova
17-10-09, 01:12 PM
OK cool - can a mod make this a poll so i can see the general concensus, as now I'm blue font skum I'm not allowed :( lol

that farmer
17-10-09, 01:25 PM
get the golf quality car imo! all bmw driver get ****er stamped on there foreheads as they walk out the showroom. i dout u want that!

Mike
17-10-09, 03:12 PM
Sods law, I can't find the stuff on the passat doors now lol.

Passats are ace!! Lass i know has an estate one with something saft like 280k miles on an 54 reg :eek: (ex Nurburg promotional car) an when she took it to VW for a service they said its either been execptionally well looked after or the milage is fake as its in top notch mechanical condition.

Given it gets ragged to an fro from UK to Bavaria about 50 times a year an has done about 10k laps of the ring, I'd say thats some good going!

L33 LEG
17-10-09, 03:50 PM
Hardly surprising but im going to opt for ze bimmer :wtf: lol

Scirrocco's are quite a cool and nice looking car, but being a derv it wouldnt be very cool and by this time next year i reckon they'l be common as anything and not be very cool at all. A golf would be practical but a bit boring imo. iv never been a fan really of the 1 series but i am growing on them, and being a company car i wouldnt argue to own a black bm tbh.

trackdaynova
17-10-09, 09:16 PM
OK, having been out today looking around all three cars.

We've classed the three choices in points, from 1 (being worst) to 3 (being best)

We have:

Looks
3 - Scirocco (looks mean as hell from front)
2 - BMW (shame I can't have white - got to be metallic or pearlescent)
1 - Golf (run of the mill)

Practicality
3 - Golf (due to 5 doors, bab on way)
2 - BMW (altho 2 door, still being inside than Scirocco)
1 - Scirocco (tiny inside, especially at back due to sloping roof)

So all three have 4 points so far

Economy
3 - BMW @ 58mpg combined
2 - Both VWs have the same with 52mpg

Bootspace
3 - BMW (massively deep boot, over twice as deep as both VWs)
2 - Golf (same depth from back of back seats to rear panel as Scirocco)
1 - Scirocco (only the rear hatch screen opens, thus very awkward/ deep boot)

Build Quality
3 - BMW (everything feels solid quality where is should, sound of doors closing etc)
2 - Golf (good quality, just not in same league as BMW)
1 - Scirocco (very disappointed internally, awfully plasticcy, door cards with plastic cheap triangles as handles?)

We've opted for the BMW 1-series 120d Coupe SE

Just need to decide what colour, would opt for White with black alloys, but we're not allowed a flat colour :( only metallic or pearlescent... so in between Space Grey or Black Sapphire

http://images.sytner.co.uk/w3images/used_stock/-50936/new_image_1.jpg

http://images03.olx.org.uk/ui/1/49/69/f_14834069_1.jpeg

twistysnovagte
17-10-09, 09:23 PM
this would be the colour for me

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autobloggreen.com/media/2008/06/bmw1coupe_official_hi006.jpg

corsakid
18-10-09, 09:05 AM
olly i had a 318d for while 3 months and i loved it 60mpg it had m sport pack and was very nice to drive handled amazing havent driven the 1 series but id imagine they would be on par would rather a bmw over a vw the bmw coupe is a stunning car

Jim
18-10-09, 10:50 AM
Have you test driven any of them? I've been for a spin in a Scirocco and found the interior really impressive. Might be something you should consider, especially if you're doing 70,000 miles each year. It handled pretty well too, but then, most modern day cars have pretty good chassis'.

dannyb
18-10-09, 11:48 AM
Before you go to look at a 1 series, check out this bad boy

http://www.ac-schnitzer.co.uk/sporteco/

£35 a year tax and real world high 50s economy, plus LOOKS!