PDA

View Full Version : front coilovers?

Damo
15-10-09, 08:07 PM
Ive just fitted some front coilovers to my nova and the top bolt hole on the foot of the shocker is elongated but i have to have the bolt set as far to the front as i can overwise my wheel catches the locking ring on the shocker i was thinking of takeing out the helper spring to gain more height from the wheel. Also what is the purpose of the helper spring and what do they do.

sorry if i sound thick but its my first encounter with coilovers.:wtf:

MK999
15-10-09, 08:09 PM
helper spring keeps the spring located when jacked up, I wouldn't worry too much unless you're going to be handing it over to a rally driver every other weekend though.

burgo
15-10-09, 08:16 PM
i would whip the helper spring out and then take your car to have the geometry set properly

Damo
15-10-09, 10:17 PM
Cheers for the replys guys i think my spring will stay tight without the helper spring as its nearly wound down to he bottom at present.:)

MK999
15-10-09, 10:20 PM
Cheers for the replys guys i think my spring will stay tight without the helper spring as its nearly wound down to he bottom at present.:)

That means it will be looser when the car is jacked up, as the platform is further from the top of the shock. As long as they relocate it's not an issue though really...

Damo
15-10-09, 10:27 PM
no i mean with the weight of the car off the ground i think the spring would stay tight i just didnt know if the helper spring had to be there .:thumb:

MK999
15-10-09, 10:29 PM
no i mean with the weight of the car off the ground i think the spring would stay tight i just didnt know if the helper spring had to be there .:thumb:

When it's off the ground the weight of the car isn't on the spring? :confused:

Damo
15-10-09, 10:37 PM
yea i know that but the spring would still stay tight i reckon because theres about 2-3 inch of thread to the top.

MK999
15-10-09, 10:38 PM
yea i know that but the spring would still stay tight i reckon because theres about 2-3 inch of thread to the top.

But that makes it looser, not tighter. if you have no thread at all to the top of the shock, it will probably stay tight.

burgo
15-10-09, 11:58 PM
i beleave what he meant is that because of how much thread there is above the adjuster he is able to wind them right up if he takes the helper springs out

MK999
15-10-09, 11:59 PM
i beleave what he meant is that because of how much thread there is above the adjuster he is able to wind them right up if he takes the helper springs out

I see! Makes sense now lol

edit: he does realise that's gonna raise the car too? :p

burgo
16-10-09, 12:02 AM
no its not at all.

MK999
16-10-09, 12:03 AM
no its not at all.

I'm assuming he's moving it up further than the compressed length of the helper spring, otherwise there's not too much point doing it, unless he's got rubbing issues within that few mm.

burgo
16-10-09, 12:05 AM
purhaps you should go back to the original post and read it

MK999
16-10-09, 12:06 AM
purhaps you should go back to the original post and read it

Maybe! I blame it being past 12, brain switched off lol

Benn
16-10-09, 08:11 AM
i would whip the helper spring out and then take your car to have the geometry set properly

Listen to this man.

Damo
16-10-09, 05:14 PM
Cheers guys at least burgo got what i ment anyway ive managed to sort it now without loosing the helper spring so jobs a good un burgo rep coming your way:thumb: .

burgo
16-10-09, 05:47 PM
Cheers guys at least burgo got what i ment anyway ive managed to sort it now without loosing the helper spring so jobs a good un burgo rep coming your way:thumb: .how exactly have you sorted it?

Damo
17-10-09, 11:34 AM
Ive managed to take the camber adjustment in a bit more so the wheels are as they should be and ive also wound the ajuster and locking nut down so theres more clearance between the wheel and spring now but obviously ive had to make the car lower to do that.

Spudly
17-10-09, 12:28 PM
I would still get your four wheel alignment checked out at your nearest tyre place though, i helped my mate rob (novafusion) fit coilovers to his saloon a few weeks back and it knocked the tracking out a mile and scrubbed his lovely new Toyo's all the way to the tyre place:cry:

Damo
17-10-09, 12:59 PM
Oh yea definatly going get it checked today spudly hows your car coming along anyway.