PDA

View Full Version : Bottom end balancing

Iain
15-10-09, 03:10 PM
Is it worth getting a bottom end balanced if it's not been modified (except for a lightened fly maybe)? Standard crank, pistons, rods etc?

Thanks!

therealnovaboy
15-10-09, 03:19 PM
not really a necesity as the standard crank is very well balanced. you have to weigh it up relative to the way its driven ie hard, high reves. theres no power gains just piece of mind.

mainly depends on how much you are spending on tuning the engine. a highly tuned engine does not deserve to have money skimped on balancing in my opinion. i think that it is a good place to start when building an engine as once you have got uprated rods and pistons and a balanced and lightened crank you can basicaly score the bottom end off the build list for a long time.

Welsh Dan
15-10-09, 04:42 PM
If I was doing your project, I'd have the whole bottom end balanced and ARP's fitted, that way you needn't worry too much about the bottom end/rev limit when you decide to add some cams&tbs in the future.

burgo
15-10-09, 05:24 PM
being as i beleave you are going to be doing alot of trackdays and therefore using the top end of the rev range alot for the sake of £80 i would get it done

auzzy-b
15-10-09, 05:50 PM
I would bud its worth it, don't no if yours is but especially if the flywheel is from another engine! have it all balanced...:)