PDA

View Full Version : External HDD Help Please

Rysee
14-10-09, 03:09 PM
My Toshiba 250GB HDD has stopped working, it normally has a blue light , but at the moment has a red light

It's powered by 2 USB 2 cables

I really don't want to lose the 200GB of data i have:(

Any suggestions?

Nick
14-10-09, 03:14 PM
Doesn't sound good. Have you plugged anything in recently !? Sometimes XP has a habit of just not recognising something when you've plugged another device into the computer that shares it's same default Drive path. I.e I have Drives C: to H: In my other computer, and sometimes my External Drive which usually comes up as J: Decides to call itself D: now and again, and just wont show up untill you go through the admin tools and change it.

But, sounds like it's dying. Take it to a computer place, they will probably be able to get the data from it somehow !

Prey
14-10-09, 03:15 PM
What does a red light mean? not being picky but I mean does it relate to anything in particular - ie in the troubleshooting/toshiba website?

If the caddy is dead then theres a chance the hdd will be ok - is it a desktop or a laptop drive? Can either use a sata or ide usb adapter to plug it in if you take it out of the caddy.

Tidy Max
14-10-09, 03:20 PM
run a magnet down the side or get the drive spinning and give it a really good shake

DONT DO EITHER OF THESE lol

have you tried it with differant usb ports? have you recently changed what ports you use?

the reason it takes 2 usb is because one is for power and one for data incase you were wondering matey

Rysee
14-10-09, 03:25 PM
Yeah I know it's for power as it isn't externally powered,

I always comes up as J: never had a problem until my PC spazzed out the other day

Haha Max I'll take that advice and I won't magnet it

The drive is less then 6 months old if i remember right, i'll try calling Toshiba, their site doesn't offer much help

Tidy Max
14-10-09, 03:28 PM
"ohh konichiwa ryssee, you driveea isssaa kamikazied" lol

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 03:56 PM
Is it an interchangeable external casing (i.e can you swap the hard drives) or is it a sealed unit? I'd personally check the drive case manual to see what the light means and try troubleshooting it. If that don't work then time to take it to a pc place.

Rysee
14-10-09, 04:02 PM
I'd say sealed unit. i'll hunt the box

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/Rysee_sri_130/14102009082.jpg

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 04:25 PM
Yeah that's a sealed one cannot be interchanged with other HDD's. See what it says on the manual, if you can't find the manula search on Toshibas website. Should shed some light

Richie_B
14-10-09, 08:15 PM
Computer shops can often get the data off for you, but it can cos a few quid. Maybe someone more clued up will know how to do it since they usually overcharge for simple things