PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 spi 8v......is there any more power in there

vauxluva
14-10-09, 01:54 PM
ok so im new to this forum ive had a few novas bt ive ended up with a base model 1.2 spin on 4 speed box..........ino bad sh*t but i love it its lowed 40mm straight trew zaust air filter,plugs is there any way i can get some more power out ov this lil enjine i havent got much money as im at collage studying welding plz dnt take the piss to much!!

AlexW
14-10-09, 02:08 PM
Read the rules for a start, No text typing or your be banned. Most of us cant read it for ****!

Oh and 1.2 spi plus power shouldnt be put in the same sentance. Your best off waiting untill you can acualy afford the insurance and change the engine for somthing a little bigger.

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 02:28 PM
Hi mate, what AW06 said, text typing is a big sin on PNG. As for the power, there isnt really a cost effective way of getting loads more power from the little 1.2i. Its 45 odd bhp to start with. You can go down the route of manifold, full exhaust system, panel filter (K&N for example) etc but you will only see minimal gains if any.

If I were you I'd get her looking smart, makes sure she runs sweet and use her for a couple years till you build up your NCB, improve your driving skills and save up some cash money. Then you can go for an engine change. If you wanna stick to small block you can go for the 1.6 8v or even the baby valver 1.6 16v whch are tunable too. By then she'll already be looking sweet so thats one thing less to worry about. :thumb:

mowgli
14-10-09, 02:30 PM
take a look at this article.

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93429

its a bit like making an chocolate fireguard in my humble opinion, trying to tune a 1.2, but people have done loads to them....

Andy
14-10-09, 02:53 PM
I would ditch the welding and study english mate
Seriously though you are never going to set the world alight with power from the 1200.

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 03:10 PM
Seriously though you are never going to set the world alight with power from the 1200.

Well not on a students budget.

If you look at Novarally's project that is a 1.2 bored down so big power can be made but costs ££££'s

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132042

vauxluva
14-10-09, 03:39 PM
:wtf:
I would ditch the welding and study english mate
Seriously though you are never going to set the world alight with power from the 1200. ok cheers

vauxluva
14-10-09, 03:44 PM
Hi mate, what AW06 said, text typing is a big sin on PNG. As for the power, there isnt really a cost effective way of getting loads more power from the little 1.2i. Its 45 odd bhp to start with. You can go down the route of manifold, full exhaust system, panel filter (K&N for example) etc but you will only see minimal gains if any.

If I were you I'd get her looking smart, makes sure she runs sweet and use her for a couple years till you build up your NCB, improve your driving skills and save up some cash money. Then you can go for an engine change. If you wanna stick to small block you can go for the 1.6 8v or even the baby valver 1.6 16v whch are tunable too. By then she'll already be looking sweet so thats one thing less to worry about. :thumb: it sounds daft but i would only want to go down the 8v route ino the ohc pretty well i would like to put a 1.48v out of an astra or corsa in,but dnt no how difficult thiss would be would a spi 14 go straight in ? again cheers sorry about the grammer peaple

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 03:51 PM
For starters dude, theres the 1.4 8v out of the Nova SR Nova, which would be a straight swap, no need for any conversion mounts or messing around.

The 1.6 8v out of the GTE or GSi again will go in no problem. You have quite a choice of Nova engines that will go right in and all 8v too. You just need to think about what you want to do the engine, the main usage of the car and what you want to gain at the end of your modification. The 1.6 8v puts out 100BHP so its the most powerful from standard.

This choice is yours

vauxluva
14-10-09, 03:57 PM
For starters dude, theres the 1.4 8v out of the Nova SR Nova, which would be a straight swap, no need for any conversion mounts or messing around.

The 1.6 8v out of the GTE or GSi again will go in no problem. You have quite a choice of Nova engines that will go right in and all 8v too. You just need to think about what you want to do the engine, the main usage of the car and what you want to gain at the end of your modification. The 1.6 8v puts out 100BHP so its the most powerful from standard.

This choice is yours were can i source a good one that hasent been hammerd to death there arnt many around my way ive only found in scrapyards 12s an gsi with no lump,and a turbo deisel,wat do you recon i can look to pay for the 1.68v?? cheers for the reply all my mates tell me to leave it but i just carnt

Andy
14-10-09, 04:23 PM
Around £150-200 for a Gte/Gsi engine with all ancilleries on ebay
Sr lumps around £100

Nova_Tek
14-10-09, 04:28 PM
were can i source a good one that hasent been hammerd to death there arnt many around my way ive only found in scrapyards 12s an gsi with no lump,and a turbo deisel,wat do you recon i can look to pay for the 1.68v?? cheers for the reply all my mates tell me to leave it but i just carnt

I'd check that out if I were you \/ 55hp increase for £200 not bad ;)

Around £150-200 for a Gte/Gsi engine with all ancilleries on ebay
Sr lumps around £100

vauxluva
14-10-09, 04:35 PM
I'd check that out if I were you \/ 55hp increase for £200 not bad ;) cheers for that jst one more thing wat about the wiring will i need the loom?

jimbob-mcgrew
14-10-09, 11:55 PM
u might have a problem on the petrol tank front if u went down the carb route.

a standard exhaust for your current engine will probably bring back a few donkies and improve the low to mid range running. straight thru's with less silencers arent much benefit unless your at max rpm all the time.

not much point touching your current engine, you wont gain much from it without spending a fair whack of cash (alot more than an engine would cost). a 1.4/1.6 8v spi will probably be your easiest upgrade, can find them in mk.3 astra's i think. and yeh ^ get the engine bay loom and ecu from the engine while your there too.

Andy
15-10-09, 10:13 AM
cheers for that jst one more thing wat about the wiring will i need the loom?
Yes take the Gte's loom,AFM,ecu,engine (obv lol) gearbox.You dont need the shafts but if they come with it take them as they will do £50-70 on ebay;)
So you could claw a bit of cash back.:)

vauxluva
19-10-09, 09:55 AM
u might have a problem on the petrol tank front if u went down the carb route.

a standard exhaust for your current engine will probably bring back a few donkies and improve the low to mid range running. straight thru's with less silencers arent much benefit unless your at max rpm all the time.

not much point touching your current engine, you wont gain much from it without spending a fair whack of cash (alot more than an engine would cost). a 1.4/1.6 8v spi will probably be your easiest upgrade, can find them in mk.3 astra's i think. and yeh ^ get the engine bay loom and ecu from the engine while your there too. im always in the top end rev range lol its a bit better than my frends 12,before he wrote it off that was standard exhaust and same filter as mine?,any way realy apriciate the comments you have probly saved me alot ov mess ups

vauxluva
19-10-09, 09:56 AM
Yes take the Gte's loom,AFM,ecu,engine (obv lol) gearbox.You dont need the shafts but if they come with it take them as they will do £50-70 on ebay;)
So you could claw a bit of cash back.:) cheers trust me i wnt be doin it v soon but im sure ill be asking more things over hear lol

Stoo
19-10-09, 09:58 AM
Dude, seriously.

Punctuation!!!!

Jon_nova1
19-10-09, 10:53 AM
as abiove, you don't even want to touch the 1.2 engine

stevie78
23-11-09, 09:45 PM
put ur rubber band round it!!!!

jas2000000
23-11-09, 11:10 PM
ok so im new to this forum ive had a few novas bt ive ended up with a base model 1.2 spin on 4 speed box..........ino bad sh*t but i love it its lowed 40mm straight trew zaust air filter,plugs is there any way i can get some more power out ov this lil enjine i havent got much money as im at collage studying welding plz dnt take the piss to much!!

Heya dude, what you could do is fit all the top end off an sri, including the head, cam and fuel system. That should give you a useful hike in bhp and you can pick up all the parts cheap, you could probably pick up the whole lot for about £100.

vauxluva
24-11-09, 02:22 PM
again will i need the ecu??