PDA

View Full Version : Heater help!

Nova_Sean
13-10-09, 12:38 PM
My heater blower motor doesnt blow hot air. And only works on max.

Ive taken the motor apart and sprayed it up with wd40 and that didnt do anything.

Apart from make my car smell.... lol

Ay idea on what it could be and any fixes?

brainsnova
13-10-09, 12:40 PM
the switch or resistor will effect the speeds, the cable changes it from hot to cold.

Nova_Sean
13-10-09, 12:45 PM
Which cable is it?

Will i need to take the vent cowling of to check?

brainsnova
13-10-09, 12:48 PM
i cant remember what side the hot/cold cable goes to but if you look at the side of the heater box from the passenger tray area you will see where a cable attaches and same on drivers.you can manually operate them. i also hope you have enough water in the radiator lol

Spudly
13-10-09, 12:49 PM
Sounds like your fan switch (the middle one on your dash) is dead my mates did this a few years back and its fairly common apparently, look under the passenger side of the dash behind the undertray (take it off if you need its only two screws) ad you should see your cable, it sounds like one of the plastic clips that hold it to the side of the heater box has snapped so it will be all the way back (i think) pull it by hand and you will see the lever move, this switches between hot and cold, all the way forward (towards the front of the car) is hot iirc, get your engine warm and have a play, you will figure it out as you do it!

craig green
13-10-09, 12:50 PM
Hot/cold (temp) cable is on the passenger side under the dash. Move the flap manually to test.

The resistor pack is screwed on the motor by the sounds of it.

Nova_Sean
13-10-09, 05:16 PM
Sounds like your fan switch (the middle one on your dash) is dead my mates did this a few years back and its fairly common apparently, look under the passenger side of the dash behind the undertray (take it off if you need its only two screws) ad you should see your cable, it sounds like one of the plastic clips that hold it to the side of the heater box has snapped so it will be all the way back (i think) pull it by hand and you will see the lever move, this switches between hot and cold, all the way forward (towards the front of the car) is hot iirc, get your engine warm and have a play, you will figure it out as you do it!

Yeh the clips broke and doesnt move the vent/flappy bit. Thanks for your help mate.

But I also found that my main vents in the middle only blow cold, ad the side ones blow hot??

Spudly
13-10-09, 05:18 PM
But I also found that my main vents in the middle only blow cold, ad the side ones blow hot??

This is normal mate, the center vents only blow in air directly from outside:thumb:

Guderian
13-10-09, 05:38 PM
As said above working only on 'high speed' very likely to be fatigue or corrosion on the wires attaching to the little green resistor, on the motor. Second hand motor complete with resistor might be the best bet.

if i remember right the whole assembly is hidden underneath the rainproof black plastic sheet at the rear of the bonnet space.... You know it-the one that tries to crack into pieces when you try and remove it

Nova_Sean
14-10-09, 12:01 AM
This is normal mate, the center vents only blow in air directly from outside:thumb:

Thats gay. Cheers Vauxhall!

Will a corsa b blower motor fit?

brainsnova
14-10-09, 12:03 AM

doubt it but maybe

mowgli
14-10-09, 12:10 AM
i'm sure that you can still get 3 speed resistors for astras.. ask the dealership nicely. maybe even for novas..... as your fan blows full speed, it is ok. so just swap the resistor over..

Guderian
15-10-09, 05:21 PM
yeah with luck. A lot of old stuff is difficult to get now though, (i find this even more with Vaux/GM than with Ford or PCG)

If getting off the shelf resistors from elsewhere, bear in mind the resistance values are quite low,, using a Fiesta as data i happen to have on my desk right now, intermediate speeds are gained by using 0.7 and 1.4 Ohm, and Slow by using 2.4 Ohm. The wattage rating is rather high though. God do those things get hot in use.

I have the vauxhall values somewhere at home.....

Balley
15-10-09, 06:16 PM

mine did that the other week, i was really worried at first thinking my heater matrix was blocked lol..

sparkie1401
15-10-09, 10:33 PM

its not gay, in the summer consider it your A/C lol

corsa B motor, i dont think so

Balley
16-10-09, 08:58 PM
its not gay, in the summer consider it your A/C lol

corsa B motor, i dont think so

no its completly different