PDA

View Full Version : help please

pikey1986
12-10-09, 08:46 PM
right then folks, the nova has developped a few problems, first up when i turn the ignition on sometimes only my oil light comes on then when i go to turn it over theirs nothing, its as if theirs no power going to the starter, after a couple of try's it eventually turns over but its as if the battery is on its way out, when its running the battery light is on very dimly but occationally(sp) it gets really bright but only when the revs are quite high, my lights and indicators all work and dont really affect it but my window wipers struggle like mad to work even on the fastest setting, then when its left to idle it sounds like its hunting for revs and about to stall, it also smells like its over fueling a lot

Jon_nova1
12-10-09, 08:49 PM
alternator? don't know about the overfueling

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 09:17 PM
sounds like alternator, spray a little WD40 in it whn its running, if it dont pick up change it see if that does you, and if still does it change the battery

pikey1986
12-10-09, 10:14 PM
cheers fellas, i suppose the rough idle could be because its not got enough power from the battery, looks like im buying a volt-meter and possible alternator tomorrow lol

novanova636
12-10-09, 10:21 PM
yeah sounds like the alternator. the engine is running off the battery power and not off the alternator. Like you say get a volt meter and see what the battery power is with the engine running

pikey1986
15-10-09, 07:22 PM
right then, ive been and bought a multi-meter and tested the battery and with the ignition off its reading 9.79v and with the ignition on its reading 7.43v, with the engine running and a properly working alternator should it read about 15v?

Adam
15-10-09, 07:24 PM
It should read 12v with the engine off.
The battery is knackered or something is draining it.

Paul
15-10-09, 08:09 PM
Disconnect everythong from the battwry, put the volt meter on it, if it isnt 12v then, then its goosed

Rich
15-10-09, 08:44 PM
But could be low because the alternator is no charging it. You need about 14v with consumers off and engine running

comptoncj
15-10-09, 08:46 PM
is it injection? if so the huntings because the ecu wants to shut down i think they do that at about 9 volts.

pikey1986
17-10-09, 04:31 PM
sorted today, dropped my alternator off to be reconditioned and got a call an hour later to say it was ready to collect, £42 lighter i put it on and it fired straight up (with the help of jump leads lol), put the multi-meter on the battery and it got to 12.9v before i got board, cheers lads