PDA

View Full Version : Not heating up...

jackbd
12-10-09, 07:01 PM
I've checked water levels and they're fine, antifreeze is cool. the pipe leading upto the heater matrix is luke warm until I start pumping the water through manually. Even after the driving for 1 hour, I don't think there's an airlock...

Any advice appreciated.

John
Water pump or thermostat.

comptoncj
thermostat maybe or water pump

jackbd
12-10-09, 10:23 PM
I don't think its waterpump, as wouldn't it overheat? how would I check? could it be lack of pressure?

Pistol Pete
12-10-09, 10:29 PM
If you have to pump the water through, there maybe an air lock. Or waterpump.

Squeeze the pipes with the cap off to expell any air. What engine is it?

Nova_Tek
12-10-09, 10:40 PM
Airlock or a blockage in the heater matrix I would have thought.

jackbd
13-10-09, 10:41 AM
If you have to pump the water through, there maybe an air lock. Or waterpump.

Squeeze the pipes with the cap off to expell any air. What engine is it?

It's a 1.2 spi. the pipes are hot apart from the one leading upto the matrix. I cleared the airlock as I'm getting warm air out of my blowers now. You think that waterpump isn't running right?

Spudly
13-10-09, 11:46 AM
Fire it up and let it get warm, leave your header tank cap off bung your blower on full, on hot, and sit with it about 2-3k and this should expell your airlock fully, if this doesnt work then your waterpump could be getting lazy, where abouts does your temp guage register after say an hour of driving normally?

craig green
13-10-09, 12:06 PM
My 1.2 Spi was the same. Put a new stat in it (cambelt off job sadly) & flush & backflush the matrix with an airline & hose pipe if poss.

MattBrown
13-10-09, 12:55 PM
Prove its not the temp guage?

Also, if it aint siezed, or getting hot hot hot, why fix it?

jackbd
13-10-09, 04:05 PM
Fire it up and let it get warm, leave your header tank cap off bung your blower on full, on hot, and sit with it about 2-3k and this should expell your airlock fully, if this doesnt work then your waterpump could be getting lazy, where abouts does your temp guage register after say an hour of driving normally?

it moves to the end of the blue, but not off it. il give that a try, if no joy then il give craigs advice a try. Matt because the thermo is telling the ecu its still cold, its pumping way too much fuel, the consumption is cr4p.

cheers fellas

Spudly
13-10-09, 04:15 PM
it moves to the end of the blue, but not off it. il give that a try, if no joy then il give craigs advice a try. Matt because the thermo is telling the ecu its still cold, its pumping way too much fuel, the consumption is cr4p.

cheers fellas

Thermostat mate definately, it should run at quarter not sat on the blue, my old spi did this too and yes because its not at running temp its not quite off choke so is over-fuelling too.

Cambelt off job to do it, so if its not recent id advise cambelt too (£9 iirc) and throw a water pump on it too for good measure:thumb:

Southie
13-10-09, 04:19 PM
Mines been doing this also for about a week. Thankfully my thermostat housing is at the front of the engine.

EDIT: Mines a 16xe so its in a different place to yours, not trying to confuse you. :)

dougie_boi
13-10-09, 04:41 PM
sounds like the thermostat is stuck open if it was me id try changing tht first as its only about 6-7 quid

Guderian
13-10-09, 05:51 PM
Yeah that would be it, the cars last much longer than the original Wahler thermostat does.

The front mounted stat is a fine thing. It was a dumb thing for them to do to start hiding it behind the cambelt. Progress? Naah.

Spudly's right, change cambelt, & waterpump c/w o ring. (should come in the box) .... Especially if you are hanging on to the car.