PDA

View Full Version : anyone mpi'd a 1200 before ?

jimbob-mcgrew
12-10-09, 01:56 AM
curious to see if anyones done this before and what kinda gains they had up on the standard 54 brake.
if so, what parts etc did u use and what needed modding to fit. jets/fueling wise too ?
i guess the 1.2 ports will need boring out a bit to match an sri inlet manifold.

cheers for any info :thumb:

Edd
12-10-09, 02:27 AM
What would be the point?

Asa-James
12-10-09, 07:21 AM
What would be the point?

why not, part of the fun of doing something different is that its different.

on the score of MPI-ing, could you not use the head off an sri? and you'd need all the electrics as well, would be interesting to see it done, i say go for it:thumb:

therealnovaboy
12-10-09, 09:14 AM
i thought about doing it. the problem is the shape of the ports. the mpi has round and 1.2 head has cathedral so youd have to build up the shape of the block ports with belzona or somthing because they dont line up. or you could use a 1.6 head. i came to the conclusion it would be easier to fit carbs, so i did.

MattBrown
12-10-09, 09:59 AM
Get a 1400mpi engine, and stick the head and cam carrier on your 1.2, you will need full loom and ecu!

IMHO after seeing the blue nova van make 102bhp with a 1400 in it, I am defo after one of them!

GRUNT 16V
12-10-09, 10:34 AM
What Would You Gain From It ????????

Welsh Dan
12-10-09, 10:36 AM
The supe-rare Irmscher sprint 1300 injection system should bolt straight on and just need some fettling with the fuel-air ratio.

Another vote here for an SRi head, I'd skim the 1400 head down to match the combustion chamber size of the 1200 head (time to get the syringe out to measure). If you're going to all of that hassle though, you might aswell fit the crank and rods from a 1300 while you're at it to give a high compression 1400.

All that said and done though, by the time you've insured such an engine, its probably cheaper and definately easier to just fit a complete 1400 SRi lump or 1600 mpi lump.

craig green
12-10-09, 10:42 AM
why not, part of the fun of doing something different is that its different.

Yeah when it's a worthwhile exercise... For the cost of all the gaskets & fluids involved you could buy a 2.0 8v (mpi) & have a go at turbocharging it or Baxtering on an Eaton hot air blower. Now that is what 'fun' & tinkering should be about.

Maybe playing with 1200's is fun up until the age of realsitic insurance premiums? :roll:

General Baxter
12-10-09, 10:44 AM
Baxtering on an Eaton hot air blower. Now that is what 'fun' & tinkering should be about.

FTW indeed :thumb:

i also had ago at fitting mpi to a 1.3 with some extras lol
http://www.pngclub.com/images/car_images/2254big.jpg

craig green
12-10-09, 10:50 AM
Yeah but a 1.3 is significantly better than a 1200, not to mention Irmscher created the MPI for homologated motorsport purposes.

I might try & SPI an XE for a laugh, sounds fun. (err no)

jimbob-mcgrew
13-10-09, 01:33 AM
What would be the point?
+

What Would You Gain From It ????????

i didnt say i wanted to do it, just curious to know, but youd get uber mpg if done properly, and im sure youd get a marked difference up on horse with a bit of torque too, and smoother, more reliable running. plus like james said its something different.

realistically tho, unless youve got the time/money/parts laying around, a 32/34 is probably the best way to go for the 1.2

it'd be great to get some pics and info from anyone thats done it tho.

AlexW
13-10-09, 10:23 AM
I see the point, Its different. Id do it... If i even had a 1.2