PDA

View Full Version : Suspension top mounts or bolts?

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 12:56 AM
Just wondering, im getting annoyed with my tyres going bald on the inside, im poor i cant afford this!
but i cant really afford the adjustable top mounts, but i have heard the camber adjustment bolts do alright, but they look so dodgey, what to people recon? i have lowered the car 80mm to so will thebolts adjust that much?
Whos tried them both and what do they think?
or whos got one or the other and what they like?
do the bolts comprimise handling? all advice and help apprecciated :thumb:

brainsnova
12-10-09, 01:19 AM
i ve seen the lower shocky hole allongated and a heavy washer welded in and the bolt tightened right up.

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 01:28 AM
did it work well? or was it a bit of a botch and when he went over a pot hole WHAM! no suspension :P? or wouldnt you recomend it? but sounds dodgey as what happens if you over camber and you get a bit of negative on its way, and gotta make sure the other side is allll gravy!

AlexW
12-10-09, 10:48 AM
I too have done the above, enlonggated the top hole and then welded on a washer each side in the right place once the camber was set. AFAIK its still on a corsa somwhere.

craig green
12-10-09, 10:49 AM
-80mm is bad mkay!

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 03:41 PM
-80mm is bad mkay!

to low? and somewhat agree with that. :thumb:

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 06:00 PM
anyone else, pwease!

John
12-10-09, 06:06 PM
I tke it you've had the chassis allignment done correctly after lowering? camber/toe can be easily adjusted/checked/set.

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 06:16 PM
you cant adjust camber on a nova without fitting bolts or diff top mounts or modifying somthing to allow it :s only toe can be adjusted.

John
12-10-09, 06:18 PM
you cant adjust camber on a nova without fitting bolts or diff top mounts or modifying somthing to allow it :s only toe can be adjusted.

So have you had the alignment checked after lowering or not?

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 06:23 PM
yes ofcourse the toe was set up, but they dont do camber as that cant be adjusted

John
12-10-09, 06:30 PM
I'm not being awkward here fella, just trying to help you out!

I'm referring to the whole chassis allignment being checked, not just the "tracking" (bout £30 round here for a full check) After you've had the toe adjusted (commonly referred to as tracking) How much -ve camber do you have?

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 06:35 PM
I'm not being awkward here fella, just trying to help you out!

I'm referring to the whole chassis allignment being checked, not just the "tracking" (bout £30 round here for a full check) After you've had the toe adjusted (commonly referred to as tracking) How much -ve camber do you have?

sorry if i come across as pissy, im not trying to be in the slightest, but with negative camber its to much lol so bad my inners are bald and the outside still looks new, the chassis allignment i cant recall its being checked, dont think its bent or twisted but if its out i dont partyicually want to shed out on them putting it upon a bed and stretching it, but im sure its okay. but know anything about the bolts or top mounts?

AlexW
12-10-09, 06:38 PM
Baxter had good results from the camber bolts iirc. Maybe PM him?

John
12-10-09, 06:42 PM
Let' see if i can explain myself properly lol.

tracking=adjusting toe.

Full wheel/chassis allignment= toe/camber/castor checked and adjusted if neccesary.

Your car won't need to be stretched fella lol. From my experience, (lowest i've ran is approx -70mm) a good allignment check after lowering will highlight and suspension problems. I ran at -70mm with no tyre scrubbing issues whatsoever. Go and have the full suspension allignment checked, and see what's wrong, as it sounds like it's mahoosively out on yours.
Imo the camber can be altered sufficiently by just slackeneing the strut to hub bolts and levering the hub out as far as it will go and re-tightening.

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 06:55 PM
there is no play in my suspension to steering knuckle, and i know what tracking is casting and camber is. but when you said chassis allignment i immediately thought the chassis might be out afer a crash or what not, but anywhos they cant adjust camber on nova's i didnt think! so maube the top bushes have gone or the suspension is nackered, but whatever i do i think im going to kick it lol.

Novasport
12-10-09, 06:58 PM
The camber adjustment bolts are made by Eibach afaik & their stuff is top quality as it has to pass the strict German TUV. Not heard any horror storys about them either.

nova_saloon
12-10-09, 07:56 PM
The camber adjustment bolts are made by Eibach afaik & their stuff is top quality as it has to pass the strict German TUV. Not heard any horror storys about them either.

Top stuff, that is what i like to hear. That much appreciated novasport, might get them for the time being untill i am rich lol! and after i get the camber sorted i will take it to a place to get all the allignment and stuff sorted!:thumb: