PDA

View Full Version : big end bearings questions

Bobminda
11-10-09, 12:05 PM
help please ??

Just had the sump and manifold off after some nasty noises coming from the engine, found that one of the shells looked like it had spun as it was scored so new set are in order.

They say on the back STD 71-3626 and have the Glyco symbol.

Can anyone recommed where to buy them from ?

They are on the bay for £16 but dont mention lead back which my friend says is a must ??

Any advice very welcome

therealnovaboy
11-10-09, 12:30 PM
try yellow pages. most are lead backed

mowgli
11-10-09, 01:15 PM
if the big end has spun, then you need your crank out & taking to a decent engineers now.. the crank will need grinding & undersize shells fitting..... any other attempt at fixing this problem will result in the rest of the engine knackering up..........

Bobminda
11-10-09, 01:36 PM
if the big end has spun, then you need your crank out & taking to a decent engineers now.. the crank will need grinding & undersize shells fitting..... any other attempt at fixing this problem will result in the rest of the engine knackering up..........

The shell spun but hasnt caused any other damage... Mate reckons i'm a lucky B*stard as it only needs shells

mowgli
11-10-09, 03:49 PM
a standard shell doesn't just spin without causing any other damage........

just where do you think the bearing metal has gone????? up the crank oilways is the most likely answer....

the big end will have worn as well, because there has never ever been a situation where one metal surface wears and the other doesn't... its physically impossible..

i wish you all the best, because you'll need it unless you are planning to flog it quick

Bobminda
11-10-09, 03:59 PM
a standard shell doesn't just spin without causing any other damage........

just where do you think the bearing metal has gone????? up the crank oilways is the most likely answer....

the big end will have worn as well, because there has never ever been a situation where one metal surface wears and the other doesn't... its physically impossible..

i wish you all the best, because you'll need it unless you are planning to flog it quick

Cheers mowgli

The locating part was pushed flat on the top shell and the bottom one was snapped clean off which i found in the oil. I had new oil and filter in it only 25 miles previous but of course i'll be replacing oil/filter with probably a another new baffle. Think I'm gonna try this option first and see how things go ! I do intend to keep it for a while as I've spent a small fortune of it !

Thanks again:thumb:

Pistol Pete
11-10-09, 04:03 PM
Local motor factors should be able to supply bearings. Or the engineering firm that works your crank might be able to help.

Graeme
11-10-09, 04:05 PM
I'd say chance it first before doing a full bottom end rebuild

Bobminda
11-10-09, 04:13 PM
I'd say chance it first before doing a full bottom end rebuild

Thanks Mr Dixon

Thats the plan anyway !!!

Graeme
11-10-09, 04:16 PM
As they say in the Dr pepper ads 'Whats the worse that can happen'

Tbh its cheaper to find a good replacement bottom end than to rebuild one