PDA

View Full Version : Selling a car with a private plate

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 02:18 PM
I have just put my bm cab up for sale just because i was bored Lol and seeing if there's any interest. however though i have a private reg on it which i will be wanting to take off. if somebody came to view the car and wanted to buy it there and then how would i go about this?

im obviously wanting the quickest way and a way where the plate is legally mine, in writing or whatever.

any ideas or has somebody been in the same situation? i don't want to be taking it off now and then ending up not selling the car, as im not too bothered about it going to be honest.

napalm_27
10-10-09, 02:19 PM
only really way of doing it would be to put the plate on retention there and then :thumb: (please dont ask how tho lol)

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 02:25 PM
im trying to think of what i did last time to take a plate off. can you take them off at the dvla there and then or do you need to wait a week or two for a retention form? because if that is the case then surely i could just ask for a deposit and once the plate is off i could give them the car

xe_nova9
10-10-09, 02:30 PM
I went into the DVLA office the other day to get a private reg put on a car, took the necessary paperwork, she changed the MOT paperwork there and then. Was legal to put the private reg on straight away.

Assume it would be the same sort of thing taking one off?

EDIT: Also wrote out a new tax disc there and then.

napalm_27
10-10-09, 02:30 PM
as i said mate im not sure how it works at all ring them up and ask is the way to go about it really :thumb:

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 02:35 PM
i know with all the forms you can put them on straight away as that's what iv always done. just not sure if it's the same for taking it off. im looking on the site now and reading the forms to see what's what.

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 02:41 PM
hmm im stuck on how this is going to work. if i take it off then obviously i wont have a logbook for a few weeks. could i take the reg off without the new keeper sleep and just the first half of the logbook? then at least the new owner could have that slip until i have sorted it all out and then send it off for him.

Ernie
10-10-09, 03:16 PM
best thing to do is send it all off and get the new plate for your cab and get your plate on retention.I had to do this when i sold one of my old cars and wanted to keep the plate it was a pain.

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 03:21 PM
The problem doing it all now is that i might not end up selling the car and not having the reg on it. Im not really bothered if the car gets sold or not so only wanting to take the plaste off when and if i sell the car.

surely theres a way to do it as loads of cars are up for sale with plates still on...

Ernie
10-10-09, 03:28 PM
the only other way is to come to some sort of agrement with a new owner were the new plate can be sent on or sorted out before collection.

Ben
10-10-09, 03:29 PM
You need to take the plate off, if you keep the new keeper slip and already have a diff reg allocated the v5c is useless as the reg on it dosent corespond at all.

Need to decide if you want to sale or not then go from there.

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 03:32 PM
hmm, il see how much interest i get this weekend. it isnt a bargain price lol but if people show some interest i think i might get it taken off on monday. but then il have to tell people they cant have it until i get the logbook back!

decisions :( i suppose its one step closer to buying an SL lol

L33 LEG
10-10-09, 03:41 PM
I've just been told that once iv been to the dvla they give me the v5c/2 back anyway and even though itl have the old reg on it the buyer can either take the car and that slip and trust me or wait until i get the logbook back i suppose :)

L14MNP
10-10-09, 06:17 PM
the only other way is to come to some sort of agrement with a new owner were the new plate can be sent on or sorted out before collection.
This is what most people do IME.