PDA

View Full Version : dead rear shock - repairable ?

jimbob-mcgrew
08-10-09, 05:17 PM
i have a dead rear strut that wont expand back out once compressed, is there any way of servicing these or is a new unit needed ? its a gmax -40. ta.

AlexW
08-10-09, 06:28 PM
Unless there gas they shouldnt come out again?

Jon_nova1
08-10-09, 06:39 PM
i suspect they are gas, is there any resistance while compressing?

only way is to replace, to be honest if the shocks gone, it may be time to replace the lot?

Benn
08-10-09, 07:27 PM
You'd pay more getting it refurbished. Just buy a new one.

napalm_27
08-10-09, 07:32 PM
£30 a shock i think they were when i was working for them

craig green
08-10-09, 07:47 PM
You'd pay more getting it refurbished. Just buy a new one.

Exactly. ;)
Not all dampers 'return' btw. Bilstein's do, Koni's don't for example.

Now use the opportunity to purchase some proper stuff.

MK999
08-10-09, 07:49 PM
Now use the opportunity to purchase some proper stuff.

Took me and shaggeh long enough to convince him this was far better than standard gsi stuff, little steps, little steps lol

jimbob-mcgrew
08-10-09, 11:31 PM
if the fronts are sitting -65mm for a -40 kit, does that mean there shot too ?

Spudly
08-10-09, 11:37 PM

Not neccessarily, it could be your springs are old and have sagged, on say a 1ltr-1.6 nova this isnt that bad a problem, possibly means youre gonna have a bouncier ride than if you had fresh springs, but anything above/heavier than thos engines then yes, imo youre gonna be best off saving for a decent spring kit and replacing the lot, not had much dealings with spax RSX but i have their rear dampers (adjustables) and theyre cock on, get these and you wont go wrong, once youve had a good setup you will notice how poor the driving experience has been!

AlexW
09-10-09, 10:50 AM
Spud - RSX fronts are coilovers afaik. Got them myself.

The height differance could just be the springs are ment for GTE/GSI's or whatever.

therealnovaboy
09-10-09, 12:14 PM

make sure the kit is correct for the car. the gte/gsi/sr ect are 20mm or so lower than standard. therfore a kit for a gte/gsi/sr that lowers 40mm will actualy lower a normal nova i.e. 1.2/1litre/merit ect 60mm.

best thing to do is build up shocks on both sides and push down on them if they bounce about or feel more soft than the other side there on the way out. the damper should be resisting the rebound of the spring.

jimbob-mcgrew
09-10-09, 04:04 PM
reet, cheers for info lads :thumb: