PDA

View Full Version : 1.2 motorbike engine in a 1.2 nova??

Nova Modder
11-03-03, 12:22 PM
would it works as the car weighs so much??

the m'bike engine gives out 180bhp... so would it make the car run better/faster, or run worse as a bike only has 2 cylnders.. ??

nova302
11-03-03, 12:57 PM
it would be a lot of work to find out that it has no effect. There are sum types of racin car that runn crotch rocket motors but they are extremely light. Same as a bike they are also real light 4 that sort of power. Unless the nova was totally stripped out i dont think that gains would be huge. Did u want your nova to be road worthy. If so that comes with weight and lots of.

Chris LR
11-03-03, 12:59 PM
And how would you transfer the power?

Don't Bikes use Chains? Last time I checked Nova's don't.

ade
11-03-03, 01:04 PM
there are some road legal cars running on m/bike engines - however most are about a snakes bellys height off the ground made of fibreglass and designed for one person - some as little as ?30k

Think the zonda's one (most are prototypes and pre production). The average car only weights about 500kg in total! They had some on the later eposodes of top gear last year.

And theyre bloody fast

You would need many mods to get it to work and the cost/time etc wouldnt really be worth it.

Just drop a 2ltr in it!

Stuart
11-03-03, 01:31 PM
power is nothing without torque.

and also the flywheel of a bike is so small that the inertia from it wont be enough to get a car of more than 5-600Kg's moving unless its running near max power/RPM.

we have a couple of car running CBR600 enignes, one is direct drive (ie no chain to the diff) and the otehr will be chain drive.

basically it would be a good idea if you had a light kit car or single seater race car. but not such a good plan if you are trying to run a regular production car

Ste_Nova
11-03-03, 03:32 PM
my mates got an R1 engined kitten!!

Austin_Nova16
11-03-03, 03:38 PM
Think I saw that at the pod last summer.

Good stuff! :)

GSiLuvver
11-03-03, 10:52 PM
Bike engines don't have to have just 2 cylinders. They can also have 1 (trials bike), 3 (Triumph Daytona) or 4 (mainly cruisers).

As has been said previously, bike engines are excellent in kit cars as the engine and gearbox is one unit, and the added bonus is that you get sequential (virtually) gear shift.

In heavier production cars, you are going to put massive strains on the chain. Have you looked into shaft driven bike engines? At least this will be a bit safer should anything let go!!

Nova-Boy
13-03-03, 02:00 PM
You could even use two engines. one for the front wheels one for the back. Scrap the chain it wouldn't be a good idea on a car and find someother way such as straigh trasmission.

mowgli
13-03-03, 08:17 PM
I think that losing excess weight and fitting a decent gm engine would probably be just as effective
by the way, a 1.2 nova bodyshell (with interior & glass) weighs about 400kg
the engine can't weight much more than 100kg with all ancillaries, cos I once rebuilt one in my bedroom and had to carry it outside.

courtenaynova
13-03-03, 11:29 PM
Motorbike engines with small CC and high BHP is explained easily by......High performance car engines rev to about 8000 MAX! Some are limited to 6500 and so on....Bike engines rev to over 13,000!!!!!

If you listen to a Formula 1 engine, they literally SCREAM! This is because they rev at 16,000 RPM top wack!. When we were testing in the Dyno room at Cosworth, to be in the big rooms, you still need ear protectors while the engines calm down.

The higher the engine revs, the higher the BHP figures are.

mikeoxford
13-03-03, 11:36 PM
The higher the engine revs, the higher the BHP figures are.

hence why using twin 40s on my nova, with all the mods and the items suggested by velos (bigger chokes and v short ram pipes)

even at full whack the engine still wants to "go" but obviuosly the gearbox restricts it and also the rev limiter

courtenaynova
13-03-03, 11:52 PM
Well Mikey, if ya wanna get techical....

Twin 40's have a butterfly opening for each piston, therefore each piston is fed by its own feed, not like the Weber or Pierbug carb which feeds 2 cylinders per barrell. If ya know wot I mean.

32/34 has 2 throats, and feeds 4 cylinders. 40's have 4 throats and feed 4 cylinders. More air and fuel you can get in....bigger the bang, more power and better responce.