PDA

View Full Version : monaro garage fun

chris gsi
06-10-09, 10:59 PM
just found this on another forum and thought i would post it as it was a good read and a nice bit of kit the road hawk

http://www.hsv.org.uk/topic.asp?p=1&f=69&t=747916&h=27

L14MNP
06-10-09, 11:08 PM
That Road Hawk is impressive! lol @ Youtube comment saying 'So they drove a sh!tty VX, must have been a slow day'

TBH though he's a touch naive assuming that all 'technicians' will abide by the rules of the road when taking something like that for a spin!

He has every right to be p!ssed tough, no question.

Plug
06-10-09, 11:12 PM
just shows you cant trust anyone

mowgli
06-10-09, 11:15 PM
i hope justice has been well & truly done. the last time I ever booked a nova into a garage for some work, the mechanic (owner's idiot son) brought it back & was actually telling the missus it was a really fast car!!! Oh & he had put 35 miles on it bringing it the 1 mile from the garage....

Spudly
06-10-09, 11:19 PM
I remember my mate telling me a few years ago of a mate of his with a calibra turbo who took it to vaux for some minor work.....

Only to stop off at a sarny wagon not far away to see it come into the carpark behind where the van was and start performing handbrake turns:roll:

He sat and watched it before wandering back to the dealership and asking for the manager, who although was apologetic, couldnt understand why he was now liable for a transfer box repair or replacement lol

mowgli
06-10-09, 11:22 PM
my grandad took a car in for work in hinckley, and his neighbour saw it 15 miles away in leicester on the same day & asked my grandad why he hadn't waved....

Mike
06-10-09, 11:24 PM
Rah that roadhawk things is ace!!!

The garage at the bottom of my dads roads once done some body work on one of my old Novas an the dick heeds were ranting it up & down past my dads house for about 20 minutes as they didnt realise where we lived lol

mowgli
06-10-09, 11:31 PM
they didnt realise where we lived lol

Discount off the bill by any chance???

Mike
06-10-09, 11:35 PM
Discount off the bill by any chance???

Something along those lines...

mowgli
06-10-09, 11:52 PM
slightly off topic, but we were developing a barn conversion last summer. a young lad who was a trainee brickie was asking the lads if anyone would give him some driving advice before his 17th birthday. well, there was a 200yd stone drive & another lad decided to teach him how to do 4wd burnouts in a fourtrak....... my brother found there were several hundred grooves in the drive & the 2 lads had to re-rake & roll it on their dinner break...

Asa-James
07-10-09, 07:35 AM
seeing as i worked in a garage for a few years (and anyone else on here who does or has worked in garages) this happens. its all about bored mechanics getting the thrash the nuts (semi-responsibly) off a car that isnt yours. admittedly doing 125mph with traffic is stupid, and some of the other stories on here are downright insulting, but i'll hold my hands up and admit i thrashed a few v6 alfa's and cleared thru some diesels. and i'm sure most of you lot (and those on the youtube comments) would do the same, given the opprtunity to drive something a little more exotic than your daily you'd be a little more spirited than usual.

not having a go at anyone, just saying...

Jack
07-10-09, 07:40 AM
This is why I don't take my car to Toyota any more. Last time I went up there, for an MOT, they took it for a "test drive". I'm well aware you have to check the braking on 4WD on the road, but 30-odd miles and 1/3 tank of fuel is a tad excessive lol

burgo
07-10-09, 07:44 AM
my brother either has to take sheet loads of diesels for a thrash or fail them for emmisions on the MOT. end of the day diesels soot up to fook being driven round at 2k max everywhere. thats his excuse anyway lol

Asa-James
07-10-09, 07:45 AM
to add to the stories, our old workshop controller took an Alfa 147 GTA for a weekend test, agreed with the customer etc. he got a court summons a week later. after she'd seen him. overtaking at speed in a 60 zone. while shes was in a friends car coming the opposite way. and she worked for the police.

ooops...

Jon_nova1
07-10-09, 07:56 AM
That Road Hawk is impressive! lol @ Youtube comment saying 'So they drove a sh!tty VX, must have been a slow day'

TBH though he's a touch naive assuming that all 'technicians' will abide by the rules of the road when taking something like that for a spin!

He has every right to be p!ssed tough, no question.

lol yer, when the mechanics took my 4wd for a test drive at the mot i could hear just hoiw fast they were going with its uber loud exhaustlol

can't believe he didn't namre and shame:roll:

therealnovaboy
07-10-09, 09:46 AM
This is why I don't take my car to Toyota any more. Last time I went up there, for an MOT, they took it for a "test drive". I'm well aware you have to check the braking on 4WD on the road,

i thought there was a thing in the mot testing that the owner has to be able to witness them doing the mot. thats why every waiting room in an mot centre garage has glass windows looking onto the garage floor. does that mean you have to go with them. i wouldnt let them go out in my car without me there. one of the main reasons i try and avoid garages is you dont know what there up to. only time i go to a garage is for mots and to get tyres changed and even then i watch them like a hawk. amount of times ive watched them tighten wheel nuts with a windy gun and then have the cheek to say come back in 100 miles and well re torque them. if they cant even torque a wheel nut god knows what else theyd get up to if i gave them the keys.

brainsnova
07-10-09, 10:00 AM
my nova blew past me accelerating hard after i dropped it into get the wheel alignement done and the boy claimed he had to feel the steering pull. lucky i got it adjusted for free.

MattBrown
07-10-09, 10:00 AM
Local garages apart from a very good friend all do the same!

Countless stories of writing off cars, scrathes, dents, dings etc from them!

A local body shop is bad from what I have heard! Taking cars out to check for road noise?

Theres going round the block, and theres taking the pish!

I do all my own work, and even use the tyre machine myself, mot is done infront of me, with me usually making the tea for the lads in the garage!

If you dont like it, get of your ass and do your own work!

craig green
07-10-09, 10:11 AM
Going by the stories I've heard off my dealer tech mates, I wouldnt trust or allow any mechanics to work on mine tbh. Quite a few years ago shortly after the turbo conversion, I tore an engine mount & took it to my local Vaux stealership. I insisted a test drive was not necessary upon completing the work, I waited for it to be done & reversed it off the ramp myself. Thanks. Bye.

As for Cav/Calibra turbo's. There isnt a Vauxhall technician in the land that understands that transmission.

MattBrown
07-10-09, 10:13 AM
Going by the stories I've heard off my dealer tech mates, I wouldnt trust or allow any mechanics to work on mine tbh. Quite a few years ago shortly after the turbo conversion, I tore an engine mount & took it to my local Vaux stealership. I insisted a test drive was not necessary upon completing the work, I waited for it to be done & reversed it off the ramp myself. Thanks. Bye.

As for Cav/Calibra turbo's. There isnt a Vauxhall technician in the land that understands that transmission.

You couldnt change a mount? Or couldnt be assed?

Personally, I would rather struggle for 8 hours, than use a garage and pay!

Hence my car still has black wings, and gay front bumper!

craig green
07-10-09, 10:19 AM
Couldnt be arsed. This was years ago (2001 infact) when I was less experienced with cars.

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 10:45 AM
Hate it when that happens and a lot of these mechanics are :tard: as they even do it infront of you.

Example when my bro had a lot of tourble with his XEV cutting out and not starting. Gave it into a garage that does a good job normally and we have used them meny times before. We arrived in the morn to pick up the Cav. Guy said 'just gonna take it for a spin to see if it does what you descirbed yesterday'.

We're like 'yeah go for it' Only for him to gun it down the road in first infront of us. I don't see the point tbh as its not an 'exotic' car its a X20XEV facelift Cav lol Me and my bro just turn and look at each other. Granted he did only go round the block for about 3 - 5 mins but god knows how much he was going when we were out of sight. Brought it back to us after and said 'she runs sweet mate goes well' I'm like 'oh yeah' wondering if I should question him for his drive test method.

Anyway we took the car drove off and 400yards she breaks down with the same issue lol

I'd report those muppets like theres no tomorrow especially if I have hard evidence. I got pixxed off at someone driving my bro's car hard when there was no need but what they done in the Monaro is plain stupid and dangerous.

That roadhawk is some nice bit of kit :)

L14MNP
07-10-09, 11:07 AM
I dropped my Nisssan off once at a mates mates back street garage to have the front bumper blown over :roll:. Same story as CG, younger/inexperienced/CBA at the time. As with everyone else I saw it come tanking past me and then lock up when a van pulled out in front of it. I had damaged a front ABS sensor changing a CV boot a week or so before.

The car then headed back in the general direction of the garage and I was on foot so walked back down, by the time i got there they were rubbing it down (didn't even remove bumper ffs) I just said how much did you say this was again? I think he said £70/80. I said well, we'll just call it even then seeing as you were kicking my car in going past and have probably gave me sqaure spots on the tyres after slamming the brakes on and locking up in that 30 zone. The ABS is off ATM (hence warning light) Didn't realise you need to test drive cars when doing body work lol.

A better one for me though was dropping the car off at another sh!t backstreet garage to have the head gasket done, 2 weeks went by, and long story short, depite numerous promises it was still not finished. So we agreed I could collect it and do it myself.
Went over there with the AA and pushed the car down the street with one of the monkey mechanics, he said just go back in and sqaure up with the boss for the parts...
We left, along with a nice 3/8's Snap-On ratchet and socket that was in the footwell along with a couple of semi-decent spanners, a MAC tools wing protector and of course a new HG set and timing chain tensioner. :thumb:lol

Mazz
07-10-09, 11:33 AM
Those RoadHawk's look an awesome bit of kit, be handy to take one to the ring!

EDIT : After a bit of digging around, similar can be bought here quite cheap!
http://www.expansys.com/d.aspx?i=177703

wwmnw
07-10-09, 11:42 AM
Lad I know of took his R-32 Skyline to a garage near me, needed something doing to the brakes, garage took it out for a test drive and hadn't set the brakes up properly, resulting in rolling it and writing the car off.

phazer
07-10-09, 08:05 PM
Loving the video evidence, end of the thread on HSV said the Police came to him for the film!

I hate taking any of our cars anywhere. Strictly no test drives - always gets a funny look when the VXR gets serviced. Last time they even said it's an important part of the service lol how about it's driving nice, change the oil and stamp the book, ta muchly.

The nova is much easier to sort, when it went to have the exhaust made I set the DTA rev limit to 2k - I think even the biggest idiot would get bored at 20mph :thumb:

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 08:13 PM
hahaha nice one 2k rev limit lol

craig green
07-10-09, 08:13 PM
The nova is much easier to sort, when it went to have the exhaust made I set the DTA rev limit to 2k - I think even the biggest idiot would get bored at 20mph :thumb:

Top idea. lol

Jon_nova1
07-10-09, 08:18 PM
wow, when i got my first car i couldn't afford to get a garage, how did you lot manage? i remember three weeks after owning it changing the engine and cylinder head gasket with nothing more than a socket set, torque wrench and a haynes...surprisingly the engine never let me down lol

mowgli
07-10-09, 08:25 PM
my step brother is an antique book dealer in london... he loves driving but knows sod all about cars. a few years ago, he booked his trusty mk3 cav 1.6 (g plate flame pink) into a fast fit in croydon for an mot then went to work....
dad & me were working together when the call came.. apparently the car had
seized master cylinder, leaking calipers, snapped handbrake & it needed welding. they wanted £750.. he'd said ok, but rang dad to double check...
i grabbed the phone off him & asked how big was the hole in the workshop wall... he said there wasn't one, and why would i think there was one..... so i pointed out that if the brakes were that bad, he'd have sailed straight thru the back wall of the garage......

he had to pay £100 for the welding, cough cough, and took it to another garage.. their verdict.. some cock has drained the fluid & welded a plate onto a perfect bit of chassis....

my step brother now gets his stuff serviced when he's up in leicestershire visiting.