PDA

View Full Version : gearbox issue

novah108gly
06-10-09, 10:10 PM
i posted a thread yesterday about changing my gearbox on my sri!! whats happened isthe lad before me blew the box and put a 4 speed on as he recond it would increase acceleration, but as you can imagine i hate it:mad:

ive bin adviced on a f13 box not an f 15 and can get one for 50 pounds but someone posted that to put the 4 speed on the clutch would have been changed and other bits and as i am on a budget i really dont need this:mad:

just wondered if someones got some good advice before i go and buy it and end up not being able to fit it!! thanks chris:thumb:

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:15 PM
right. the f13 gearbox will fit straight on with the clutch you have.

the shafts will fit, the mounts will fit. the speedo cable will fit.

the only issue is making sure you have a 5 speed shifter box on the top of the gearbox, cos the 4 speed one will not select all 5 speeds. then you have to check that your stick is suitable for a 5 speed, the proper one has a spring detent to select 5th, or you can chop a bit off to make the stick go over to the right enough.

novah108gly
06-10-09, 10:17 PM

the only issue is making sure you have a 5 speed shifter box on the top of the gearbox, cos the 4 speed one will not select all 5 speeds. then you have to check that your stick is suitable for a 5 speed, the proper one has a spring detent to select 5th, or you can chop a bit off to make the stick go over to the right enough.

thanks mate ive never changed one before, you think its worth givin it a go or paying:thumb:

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:20 PM
well, it all depends on how mechanically talented you are... if you have a haynes & some stands then it is fairly easy, or PM JohnH and see if he'll do it & how much he'd want. he is local to you & knows his stuff

Stuart
06-10-09, 10:23 PM
the gearstick will be fine assuming its an SRi car as that would have had a 5speed to begin with.

for the record, all a 5speed does is give you a better cruising gear at speed. the rest of the gears are 95% the same ratios, so wont "feel" that different.

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:24 PM
the gearstick will be fine assuming its an SRi car as that would have had a 5speed to begin with.

for the record, all a 5speed does is give you a better cruising gear at speed. the rest of the gears are 95% the same ratios, so wont "feel" that different.

unless its a close ratio one.

Stuart
06-10-09, 10:26 PM
nothing wrong with a CR box... again the CR 4spd and CR5spd would share the same 1-4

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:27 PM
i have never ever seen a f13 4speed cr box.

novah108gly
06-10-09, 10:29 PM
nothing wrong with a CR box... again the CR 4spd and CR5spd would share the same 1-4
yhea i just cant put up with the car reving so high even when doing 60-70 its highish you think having 5th would solve this:thumb:

Stuart
06-10-09, 10:30 PM
correct, they dont exist, unless you make one by fitting the 4 spd cassette into an F13 case.

novah108gly
06-10-09, 10:33 PM
correct, they dont exist, unless you make one by fitting the 4 spd cassette into an F13 case.
the one whats in is an f10 i think!!!:tard:

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:36 PM
yhea i just cant put up with the car reving so high even when doing 60-70 its highish you think having 5th would solve this:thumb:

i'm guessing you have an unfeasibly low diff in that box...... a nova should usually do 70mph at about 3000-3500rpm in top.

yeah a 5 speed will help solve this. when looking for one, there is a flat bit on the underside with the letters WR or CR and the diff ratio (usually 3.74 or 3.94. now wr is wide ratio, so its economy.. cr is close ratio for sportyness.
even a 3.74 cr box will give you 3500rpm @ 70mph

ps. i'll give you a tenner for the old box.....

novah108gly
06-10-09, 10:43 PM
i'm guessing you have an unfeasibly low diff in that box...... a nova should usually do 70mph at about 3000-3500rpm in top.

yeah a 5 speed will help solve this. when looking for one, there is a flat bit on the underside with the letters WR or CR and the diff ratio (usually 3.74 or 3.94. now wr is wide ratio, so its economy.. cr is close ratio for sportyness.
even a 3.74 cr box will give you 3500rpm @ 70mph

ps. i'll give you a tenner for the old box.....

so you think 50 quid a good price or not??? and how long would it take me to do it??? is it do able in a day??? and how wud i get the box to you:p

mowgli
06-10-09, 10:50 PM
if you can get a f13 box for £50 with a warranty, then its ok. seriosly, it would be less than 1/2 a day on your own, maybe a couple of hours with an assistant. i'd fetch the box.

novah108gly
06-10-09, 11:05 PM
if you can get a f13 box for £50 with a warranty, then its ok. seriosly, it would be less than 1/2 a day on your own, maybe a couple of hours with an assistant. i'd fetch the box.

thats from a scrap yard mate:mad: wot would i have to do about the clutch

mowgli
06-10-09, 11:16 PM

as stated earlier..

you just need to get it almost on place, make it safe, refit the halfshafts, stick it in gear, and turn the wheels a bit until it slots into place, then push it up & bolt it up tight. then you musy put some sae80w90 gear oil in it.