PDA

View Full Version : bodykit dilema

eskiboy
11-03-03, 11:41 AM
i have a big mouth ORIMENTAL bumper on order, but it has to be cut to fit because its a universal bumper. has anyone done this already or something similar cause i would like some advice on what tools i would need and how to go about it.

thanx

peace out

ade
11-03-03, 01:16 PM
depends on what its made of.

If its fibreglass, you can usually just sand it back with orbital sander (like the ones you use on your walls for sanding paint back with) - proving its the right width.

If it needs cutting and shutting to reduce width, you'll need some skill with a jigsaw and fibreglass/filler to rejoin it.

You got a pic/dimensions?

Ade

eskiboy
11-03-03, 01:21 PM
nah aint got any pics but its on www.autofashion.co.uk and its called orimental.

luckily im a carpenter so preaty handy with most tools
ps thankx for your advice much apreciated( not sure on the spelling)

whitey
11-03-03, 02:15 PM
Its actually quite easy! I got a front bumper made of fibreglass!

Just take old bumper off car and put it upside down on the fibreglass one! The mark out the dimensions on the new bumper and cut as described above by ade! Could use a jigsaw with fine blade at low speed too me thinks!

If you are getting it sprayed by a bodyshop and they use ovens then make sure they are good and either let the bumper air cool or they heat it in the oven for 30 mins first at no more than 40 degrees so that any air bubbles and imperfections leave the fibreglass first!

Just remember not to cut too much off! Cut a little too less off than the original GM bumper and see if it fits, if not then sand the rest to fit! Lot safer than doing it with one pass.

mikeoxford
11-03-03, 02:26 PM
http://www.autofashion.co.uk/general_instructions.htm

erm why not read there own fitting instructions!?!?!?! LOL advertised on the front page

General

The products that we supply are manufactured from fibreglass. This material is extremely versatile, and is very DIY friendly, meaning that products can usually be fitted and prepared at home if you have the time and patience.

whitey
11-03-03, 02:47 PM
Where you think I got all that crap I wrote Mike?!?

LOL :lol: