PDA

View Full Version : best way of fixing an sr spoiler on?

Steve
06-10-09, 01:59 PM
Last time I used silicone sealant, but found that it didnt hold that well, whats a good alternative? something thats strong, but ideally waterproof, or failing that where can you get the double sided foam from that they originally had?

L14MNP
06-10-09, 02:04 PM
Tiger seal?

Steve
06-10-09, 02:06 PM
never used it before, whats it like?

craig green
06-10-09, 02:22 PM
never used it before, whats it like?

It'll be the strongest thing on your car. You could pick the car up by the spoiler! lol

L14MNP
06-10-09, 02:25 PM
lol What he said! Best way to go about it if the studs are missing/damaged IMO.

I've used tit for similar things before and it grips like a Jew with a fifty!

craig green
06-10-09, 02:29 PM
I heard it gripped like you with a stiffy! :d

L14MNP
06-10-09, 02:32 PM
My liquid doesn't have such a strong bond but I'll grip the sh!t out of her fkn hair. lol

craig green
06-10-09, 02:33 PM
Lol

projctnova
06-10-09, 02:34 PM
this is what is currently holding my fibreglass roof on. tube and a half of the stuff and it aint going to budge!

L14MNP
06-10-09, 02:43 PM
A tube and a half! You must come with the thunder? lol

projctnova
06-10-09, 02:47 PM
haha sorry the other messages appeared as i typed mine so i was blissfully unaware of what my message now sounds like! however nice i think my car is i had to hold my roof on with sealant and not manlove

mayhem
06-10-09, 02:57 PM
My liquid doesn't have such a strong bond but I'll grip the sh!t out of her fkn hair. lol

men have the strongest glue there is... ever seen a baby fall in pieces?

Balley
06-10-09, 06:37 PM
Use double sided foam tape from B&Q. Use there own brand one, clean the serface well and stick it on,...

sticks like sh!T to a blanket!

Jon_nova1
06-10-09, 06:50 PM
men have the strongest glue there is... ever seen a baby fall in pieces?

im sure i fell to peices as soon as i fell out of the womb to be honest, then crudely glued back togetherlol

brainsnova
06-10-09, 06:58 PM
i used the top nut things and double sided tape down the side same as original and stuck like fuk

Steve
07-10-09, 11:49 AM
Think im gonna go with tiger seal as it seems the easiet way of doing it, thanks for the help, and banter lol

Spudly
07-10-09, 12:35 PM
Im assuming youre meaning a mk1 spoiler, as said tiger seal or indeed any variant of this (ask for tiger seal in your local bodyshop supplies place) should be between £5-10 a tube, you will need a caulking gun to apply it, clean the surfaces youre gonna stick the round the paint under where the spoiler will be to key it so it grips (remember there is a spot along the top of the tailgate where the paint is exposed so dont rough that bit) then run a load around the tailgate and push the spoiler into place, you will need to tape it into place overnight or for a few hours till it goes off, afterwards you will never seperate the spoiler from the car:thumb:

I fitted one without the fixing studs before now just using tiger seal, when i broke the car i had to leave the spoiler on the tailgate as i couldnt seperate it lol

Steve
07-10-09, 12:41 PM
Wish I would have asked earlier as it was a right pain measuring where to drill the holes! cheers, gonna fit it today

7ova
07-10-09, 01:06 PM
bit of advise,
wear a pair of gloves, its a right pig to get tiger seal of your skin :thumb:

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 01:51 PM
Sounds too good to be true. Seeing as its that great I'm gonna forget messing about trying to drill my mint tailgate and just tiger seal the sucker down. Don't really feel like having to remove the spiler to fix rusted drilled holes in a few years time.

BTW mine is a MK2 spoiler.

MattBrown
07-10-09, 02:27 PM
Its not an sr spoiler if its mk2

Is the the 3 legged spoiler or the 1 legged gsi (It az got Boost) one??

AlexW
07-10-09, 02:27 PM
Nova Tek as long as you protect the holes youve drilled with paint or w.e, and fill the inside of it with waxoil if you can it will be fine. Mines not rusted :)

AlexW
07-10-09, 02:28 PM
Its not an sr spoiler if its mk2

Is the the 3 legged spoiler or the 1 legged gsi (It az got Boost) one??

Wtf are you talking about.
Steves is mk1.

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 04:10 PM
Nova Tek as long as you protect the holes youve drilled with paint or w.e, and fill the inside of it with waxoil if you can it will be fine. Mines not rusted :)

I know but still no holes on an already mint tailgate mean deffo 100% no rust, that's what appeals to me.

Can tiger seal hold up a GSi spoiler as its only up top? Unlike the SR which kinda supports itself with the extra bits down the side.