PDA

View Full Version : Norman sounds like a subru!!!!!!!

Nebbz
06-10-09, 01:10 PM
Not happy, drove to college, car was fine, but it was fooooking wet this morning! so i dont know if this would have any thing to do with the miss firing

driving half way home, just before i got on the motoway the car just pulled back, didnt want to go forward, I DONT KNOW but i think it may be the spark plugs, ht leads, or dizzy cap by the lack of power, and the fact it sounds like a frickin scoobie (alas not the nice sound!)

am i right for which part it needs

its also been running a little rich, and black soot out the exhaust. Going to have a poke and prod but somthings telling me the spark plugs are spent!

help!

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 01:29 PM
The weather being damp could mean the HT leads have become a bit moist. First check your spark plugs to make sure they are ok, then spray some WD40 on the leads and dizzy to remove any moisture. See if she imrpoves and take it from there.

burgo
06-10-09, 02:23 PM
do you know when the plug, lead, cap and rotor arm were last changed?

Nebbz
06-10-09, 02:28 PM
No i dont unfortunaly. ill do the WD40 thing now, I dont think i have the right tool's to take the spark plugs out though :( so may have to wait till i can get hold of a mate (after 6pm)

Nebbz
06-10-09, 03:54 PM
Touch wood it seems to be okay now, I did as you said. and then left it, drove it to a local garage ( half a mile away) and hes running as sweet as before.

One of the HT leads are also pretty loose as came of too easily, being low and bumpy i have a feeling this is what kicked it off.

so pay day, new ht leads :roll:

thanks guys! nice simple fix! i like those

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 04:14 PM
No worries, Id go with changing the HT leads seeing as the simple check made the engine run properly. If you don't know when the dizzy & rotor arm was last changed then I'd also suggest you renew them too. Parts are very cheap anyway.

Get your spark plugs looked at. It's normally ok to use them for around 2 years before they need changing, cleaning them maybe all is needed is the electrode is undamaged. Once all the basic service parts are sorted any problems will automatically eliminate those specific bits.

Glad the simple fixes worked. Regards to Norman lol