PDA

View Full Version : help with rust please

novah108gly
05-10-09, 08:59 PM
http://i898.photobucket.com/albums/ac183/novah108gly/P1010003.jpg

anyone help me i need a way to get rid of this whilst at its early satge a bit of a how to would be appreiceated if you could as i realy want to look after this car whilst saving up for a respray a its taking me a while to save:mad:

jonn
05-10-09, 09:03 PM
if its surface rust sand it down to bare metal put a skim of filler over it then sand down/prime/paint

novah108gly
05-10-09, 09:09 PM
if its surface rust sand it down to bare metal put a skim of filler over it then sand down/prime/paint

thanks for the advice mate really need it as im new to doin stuff like this
wot would you use to sand it down?? wet and dry or wot??? thanks agen
:)

16v Nova Kev
05-10-09, 09:22 PM
i would and do this in work. use a grinder with a strip and clean wheel or a sanding disk with 80 grit paper.sand off the crispy stuff then sand/shot blast the metal. you can buy cheap spot blaster kits quite cheap after that paint with red lead paint

AlexW
05-10-09, 11:43 PM
I bet its rusting from the inside out, once you start to sand that it will problery become a cheese grater.

Wire wheel the bubbles off and Sand it back with 80-120grit to get the worst of it off, but i bet its piss thin. Once thats done your eather be left with piss thin metal with holes or nice thick metal (Bahhaah lool) if it has holes your need to cut the rust out and weld in a new arch.