PDA

View Full Version : F16 to replace an F14??

Dod
04-10-09, 09:47 PM
I want to run a Big Block drive set up with my small block engine so I can run a 5 stud set up, obviously I need the F16 Flywheel but will it mate to the 16 16v Crank?

Stuart
04-10-09, 09:50 PM
F14?????

AlexW
04-10-09, 09:53 PM
Presume he means F13 or F15? Anyway, the bolt patten is differnet between smallblock/bigblock. Some how im thinking its not worth the hassle.

mowgli
04-10-09, 09:53 PM
http://mahboubian.googlepages.com/F14-Flyby.jpg

Stuart
04-10-09, 09:54 PM
Presume he means F13 or F15? Anyway, the bolt patten is differnet between smallblock/bigblock. Some how im thinking its not worth the hassle.

you really do suck

the F13/15 will bolt upto a big block. therefore the bolt patterns are the same.

AlexW
04-10-09, 09:57 PM
I thought they were different, sorry

mowgli
04-10-09, 09:59 PM
isn't there something to do with the diameter of the spigot on the input shafts being different????

surely the conversion to 5 stud is more to do with outer cv joints & hubs off a cav/vec/late astra etc....... and not the inner end.

Dod
04-10-09, 10:00 PM
My mistake, yeah an F15.

So does anyone now or are able to tell me if the flywheels are interchangable? I know they are on the TD and NE/SE/SEHs and I was told by someone that a 1.6 OHC flywheel will fit the above 8v 6 bolt crank but would it wor in reverse?

Dod
04-10-09, 10:03 PM
Mowgli, from what I understand, and this thread is to indicate weather or not I'm mistaken, I can machine down a 5 Stud hub to fit a Nova, or in this case, a Corsa carrier whichh will allow me to use a big block shaft, which is nice but then I have a small block box and so the shaft wont fit into it, so instead of messing about with shafts, what about using a big block box?

Benn
04-10-09, 10:07 PM
http://mahboubian.googlepages.com/F14-Flyby.jpg

Is that real?

mowgli
04-10-09, 10:09 PM
Is that real?

apparently so.

http://www.aerofiles.com/f14flyby.html

Benn
04-10-09, 10:11 PM
Thats awesome.

Dod
04-10-09, 10:16 PM
I want to run a Big Block drive set up with my small block engine so I can run a 5 stud set up, obviously I need the F16 Flywheel but will it mate to the 16 16v Crank?

My mistake, yeah an F15.

So does anyone now or are able to tell me if the flywheels are interchangable? I know they are on the TD and NE/SE/SEHs and I was told by someone that a 1.6 OHC flywheel will fit the above 8v 6 bolt crank but would it wor in reverse?

from what I understand, and this thread is to indicate weather or not I'm mistaken, I can machine down a 5 Stud hub to fit a Nova, or in this case, a Corsa carrier whichh will allow me to use a big block shaft, which is nice but then I have a small block box and so the shaft wont fit into it, so instead of messing about with shafts, what about using a big block box?

Back on topic please lads. :)

Benn
04-10-09, 10:18 PM
Yes you'll want machined down hubs to run the big block cvs. To use 5stud wheels.

What about 1.8 astra (late ones) as the engine is small block (like Lee303 has) but i'm sure they are 5stud... So you might be able to use the hubs from that.. with a little machining.

Dod
04-10-09, 10:22 PM
I've the front hubs off a small Block 18xe Vectra here but they arent the issue, its more the Box side of things that concern me more. well the Flywheel.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:23 PM
Edit.

Dod
04-10-09, 10:37 PM
Yah, has anyone got an answer for the flywheel issue?

mowgli
04-10-09, 10:37 PM
dod, if you have hubs from a small block vectra, surely they will be easier to fit with sml block shafts, or are you planning to do the groundwork for a big block engine swap???

mowgli
04-10-09, 10:42 PM
Yah, has anyone got an answer for the flywheel issue?

i think the issue is the drive plate. the sml block flywheel & cover off a 1.6 sml block should be big enough to fit a drive plate that would definitely fit the f16 box. but i don't know if the splines are the same on big & sml block gboxes.

Dod
04-10-09, 10:43 PM
Ok, maybe I'm not explaining myself here.

I have a 16 16v Corsa and I want to run Vectra Super Touring Wheels, which are 5 stud. I want to keep the Corsa small block.

I can machine down the Hubs, thats no issue, the real issue I have is the Big Block box onto the small block engine.

So, in summery, is there a big block flywheel that will bolt onto my 1.6 16v crank?

Benn
04-10-09, 10:45 PM
dod, if you have hubs from a small block vectra, surely they will be easier to fit with sml block shafts, or are you planning to do the groundwork for a big block engine swap???

Prob is, its getting a/the cv to fit the hub to then fit the shaft.

I spent funking ages looking for a cv that would fit the big block 5stud hub and then the nova gsi shaft i used to run.

Found out there isn't. Nova shaft spline, cav hub is 34 (iirc)

mowgli
04-10-09, 10:52 PM
Benn. it is a long held suspicion of mine that if you buy two different gm cv joints from the same manufacturer, then take them apart, the innards will be interchangeable. because there is no need to keep making different innards, just different splined bits.

Benn
04-10-09, 11:07 PM
What yeah, they are. I've seen that from ones i've ripped apart. But you need a special tool to remove the inner cage/bearings. I've never seen that tool for sale.

If i did/do i'll buy it and make my own cvs.

When they are sent by as a surchage, they are just pulled apart, the inerds are binned and they use the outer and add in the inner to what evers needed.

Dod
04-10-09, 11:11 PM
Lads, the flywheel question? Anyone got any ideas?

mowgli
04-10-09, 11:22 PM
dod, the gbox will bolt up. the flywheel assy stays on the engine, its down to measuring the drive plate to make sure it fits.

Stuart
05-10-09, 08:28 AM
dod, just swap the output gears in the Diff with ones from a big block. its what the rally folks do to run fatter shafts. no fecking about with the clutch/flywheel then either.

You seem to be making this job more difficult than it really is lol

Dod
05-10-09, 08:42 PM
Thanks, that should do the trick.lol