PDA

View Full Version : twin carbs on c20xe

Tim
04-10-09, 07:16 PM
im about to start wiring the loom in for my xe lump and was thinking about going down this route, its not going to be a daily car just a bit of fun really.

what am i going to need??

whats a ballpark price i should be expecting to pay for the bits, carbs, manifold etc??

any help appreciated

tim

bmw156
04-10-09, 08:09 PM
hey, i have been looking into this abit. and i only know about the aftermarket management side of things.

there are loads of different companies who do ignition sets, to name a few megajolt and omex, megajolt are cheap. and if you check out my c20xe WIP then it has some really helpful links

and if you wanna go on dizzy then, i think, you need a cav dizzy. but im not sure.

Tim
04-10-09, 08:16 PM
im a bit clueless about all this. all i know is that they make a sweet sound and give a good power gain for the money they cost.

the cav dizzy comes up often when i have searched, im on a budget so this is prob the way to go.

ill take a look. cheers

MK999
04-10-09, 08:25 PM
Loom wise not much at all, just power to the coil and a dizzy. Rest is all old fashioned mechanics, dizzy will sort your spark timing out, fueling is done by splashing roughly appropriate amounts of fuel towards the engine lol

Tim
04-10-09, 08:45 PM
Loom wise not much at all, just power to the coil and a dizzy. Rest is all old fashioned mechanics, dizzy will sort your spark timing out, fueling is done by splashing roughly appropriate amounts of fuel towards the engine lol

my xe is any early one anyways so has dizzy and coil.

so apart from manifold, carbs and throttle cable what else will i need?

Nobby
04-10-09, 08:45 PM

:thumb:

As said above my xe runs bike carbs . I use the HH Ignition kit that includes Dizzy,coil and amplifier. You will need an ignition live to the coil and a negative off the amplifier, wire the fuel pump on like the xe one would be + and -. Then there are manifolds depending on what carbs you go for bogg bros do bike carb ones but weber manifolds can be found on ebay etc.

MK999
04-10-09, 08:47 PM
my xe is any early one anyways so has dizzy and coil.

so apart from manifold, carbs and throttle cable what else will i need?

You *MAY* need a different dizzy setup, as they're often electronically advanced by the ecu, and I'm not sure how that fits in with a carb setup.

Nobby
04-10-09, 08:57 PM
You *MAY* need a different dizzy setup, as they're often electronically advanced by the ecu, and I'm not sure how that fits in with a carb setup.

i believe that you will need a new dizzy to run a dizzy setup as megajolt is ecu controlled ie coilpack?

MK999
04-10-09, 09:02 PM
^^^ Didn't understand that? But I meant the standard ecu controlling the standard dizzy, I'm not 100% on XE's but my gsi is definitely advanced slightly by the ECU under certain conditions, and I think XE's have a knock sensor, or is that only the later ones?

If the dizzy is controlled by the ecu this might need to be replaced to run carbs

Tim
04-10-09, 09:17 PM
right ok, so looks like im going to be looking for a carb and manifold setup. lol.
i think its a wise way to go. more power and a sexy noise to boot. sweeeeeet

The_General_Chancer
04-10-09, 11:50 PM
I use
1981 mk1 cav 1.6 dizzy,coil and amp iirc Cost around £80 for the full lot.
R1 carbs £100
bogg bros manifold £230 with all hoses and fixing
Set up £80
Total £490

produced 150bhp@5700rpm at the wheels 170@crank

Excellent value for money imho