PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE Buyers guide?

Zeus
04-10-09, 03:52 PM
Hi all, I have my heart set on a GTE, where do i look for rust & what parts are GTE specific. Also, did gte's come without sunroofs? Will have the money as soon as the Audi goes.

Cheers

muzzy
04-10-09, 03:57 PM
Check for rust on anything that is metal, sills, boot floor, chassis legs, battery tray.

mowgli
04-10-09, 06:19 PM
check the front strut tops. a genuine gte has extra plate welded on the top of them. i believe all gtes had a sunroof as std.

craig green
04-10-09, 06:25 PM
Aye. All GTE's had a sunroof, e/w was optional or maybe std after 89 perhaps. It has to be said, searching out a rust free or largely unmodded example would be my priority. In my experience the sporty models (SR, GSi/GTE etc) seem to suffer worse rot than the base spec shells. So if you intend to mod the nuts off it (engine swap etc), I'd buy any rot free shell & buy the bumpers & interior trim to bring it inline with the GTE spec you want.

Just my 2p worth.

mowgli
04-10-09, 06:36 PM
agreed.

LEWI007
04-10-09, 06:39 PM
Nah, if your chopping it about to get an xe in it or whatever, then you might aswell buy a genuine GTE and weld it all up while your at it, then it'll be a proper one in the end.

Will F
05-10-09, 08:39 AM
Nah, if your chopping it about to get an xe in it or whatever, then you might aswell buy a genuine GTE and weld it all up while your at it, then it'll be a proper one in the end.

Totally disagree - you want a good strong shell to start with.

LEWI007
05-10-09, 09:08 AM
There isnt many good mint shells around anymore so they should be left for reshelling proper gsi's,gte's etc.. not cut up and xe'd.

if you xe it your going to have to get the welder out anyway so you might aswell not be lazy and just sort a rusty one out.

i know others think differently to that but there isnt just an infinite amount of mint novas out there so its just a waste imo.

Nova_Tek
05-10-09, 09:09 AM
How about leave the GTE a GTE. If you want to mod the nuts off it go for a non special model like a L, Merit or a plain old Nova. My views anyway.

In either situation check everywhere, usual rust points are everywhere lol seriously though check rear arches, sills, front arches, battery tray, crossmemeber under radiator (if you can) lower sections of doors, check the chassis like the suspension areas etc. Make sure the boot is straight and open the bonnet make sure all is well under there and its not been whacked and badly repaired.

Just use a bit of common sense and don't rush inspecting her.

Remember they are geting on so you need to spend more time checking.

LEWI007
05-10-09, 09:10 AM
yes dont mod special models just keep them original, make a gte rep and xe that.

wwmnw
05-10-09, 11:07 AM
In my experience the sporty models (SR, GSi/GTE etc) seem to suffer worse rot than the base spec shells.

You should come see my Spin lol

craig green
05-10-09, 11:16 AM
yes dont mod special models just keep them original, make a gte rep and xe that.

What is this? The fecking mod police! lol

bmw156
05-10-09, 12:51 PM
lol, no where ha she said he wants to XE it, he hasnt said any plans with it lol

and check everywhere for rust. main areas, inner wings, turrets, battery tray, boot floor, behind both bumpers, front panel / cross member. sills, behind the rear suspension strut. and take a magnet, to check for any large amounts of filler.

Lee H
05-10-09, 02:07 PM

Why? "special" models aren't exactly much better than poverty models to drive when they are standard. I drove my GSi standard for two weeks, they are slow and handle badly.

Zeus
05-10-09, 07:32 PM
Id like a GTE that looks like a GTE & got GTE in the logbook. The only mods would be rfx's & decent engine mods(itbs & cams :D) but keeping it the standard 1.6. White preferably aswell.

Zeus
05-10-09, 07:33 PM
How about leave the GTE a GTE. If you want to mod the nuts off it go for a non special model like a L, Merit or a plain old Nova. My views anyway.

In either situation check everywhere, usual rust points are everywhere lol seriously though check rear arches, sills, front arches, battery tray, crossmemeber under radiator (if you can) lower sections of doors, check the chassis like the suspension areas etc. Make sure the boot is straight and open the bonnet make sure all is well under there and its not been whacked and badly repaired.

Just use a bit of common sense and don't rush inspecting her.

Remember they are geting on so you need to spend more time checking.

Cheers:thumb:

SKoob
05-10-09, 08:03 PM
My advice is find a nice mint rot free, unmolested GTE, get some speedlines and a GSi kit, job done then :D

MK999
05-10-09, 08:06 PM
What is this? The fecking mod police! lol

I'd love to chuck a delta kit on a sport just to see the uproar over it lol

twistysnovagte
05-10-09, 08:12 PM
My advice is find a nice mint rot free, unmolested GTE, get some speedlines and a GSi kit, job done then :D:wtf: and why would you want to do that, speedlines "possibly", but a GSI kit on a fine unmolested GTE,that would be sacrilege!

Novaboyleon
05-10-09, 08:21 PM
[quote=Nova_Tek]How about leave the GTE a GTE. If you want to mod the nuts off it go for a non special model like a L, Merit or a plain old Nova. My views anyway.

Thats a good point! (i know i havent been on here for ages sorry)
but yeah leave a gte a gte and so on, base models are ideal for xe conversions because who wants a 1.2? unless its a real low miler and you want it to be a standard show piece or you can only afford to insure a 1.2. ideally you want a decent shell with a knackered engine rather then the other way round and is probably the best way to pick one up cheap,or even just an xe ready shell.

Zeus
09-10-09, 11:57 PM
I'll be happy with a standard one trims & all. Whats the talk of putting a mk2 kit on a mk1?? Plain wrong, other way around much better.