PDA

View Full Version : LET Shafts

Nova_Tek
04-10-09, 02:38 PM
Done a search and read a few posts, just to clarify I need:

- Cav MK2 inner CV's (shown here http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=71 ) < I assume these adapt so that you can use 22 spline outer CV's.

- Nova GSi 22 spline outer CV's.

Which actual drive shafts do I use, can I still retain the 1.2 drive shafts coupled with the MK2 inner CV and 22spline outers?

Can the above items be used on the F28? The 'How To' section and the search only really talks about the F16 and the F20.

:thumb:

AlexW
04-10-09, 05:49 PM
You need Nova 22spline shafts, 1.2 stuff is 28spline.

inner cvs like you say, and standard nova outers.

Dont know if everyone runs LET's like this, not sure how much the standard shafts can take.

krobinson
04-10-09, 07:09 PM
Just buy proper shafts. GTE shafts wont last long with the Torque.

You'll need chris astley big shafts and two machined driving flanges.

If you can, get the equal length setup and this will help reduce torque steer.

Keith

Benn
04-10-09, 07:20 PM
Keith, loads of people told me to use gte shafts and my convo ones wouldn't last... Everyone things a lil different.

You want nova gsi/gte shafts with std nova outers and 22spilne cav mk2 inners.

Lee H
04-10-09, 10:31 PM
I ran the 22 spline shafts on my LET, only changed them so I could fit equal length shafts.

Welsh Dan
04-10-09, 10:34 PM
Standard nova outers are 28 spline.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:35 PM
I ran the 22 spline shafts on my LET, only changed them so I could fit equal length shafts.

Did you find the equal length did much?

MK999
04-10-09, 10:38 PM

I thought the equal length setup was robbed off of cavs? so would be the same shafts apart from the side that's made to equal length?:confused:

Lee H
04-10-09, 10:40 PM
They need to be big block shafts with a big block hub to run the equal length setup. Wouldn't fancy keeping a standard shaft and hub on the short side really.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:42 PM
I thought the equal length setup was robbed off of cavs? so would be the same shafts apart from the side that's made to equal length?:confused:

The short side is what you are running before.. You dsont need to touch it.

MK999
04-10-09, 10:42 PM
ah ok, that makes sense :thumb: Cheers for clearing that up, as they say every day is a school day lol

The short side is what you are running before.. You dsont need to touch it.

But as Lee says it does make sense to swap both. I understand why he changed both shafts now :)

edited to add reply to Benn

Lee H
04-10-09, 10:46 PM
Did you find the equal length did much?

Hard to say really as I fitted the Quaife diff at the same time.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:46 PM
Ah ok.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:47 PM
But as Lee says it does make sense to swap both. I understand why he changed both shafts now :)

edited to add reply to Benn

What?

MK999
04-10-09, 10:47 PM
Would probably depend how level your shafts are currently, the more angled they are the more equal length would help imo. Obviously they don't stay the same all the time though.

What?

You don't need to touch it, but it does make sense to have the same spec shafts in both sides.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:48 PM
Whats them being level got to do with anything?

MK999
04-10-09, 10:49 PM
More angled = more power loss from heat/friction through the CV, hence equal length shafts levelling up the power transmitted to both wheels.

Lee H
04-10-09, 10:51 PM
The longer shaft won't be at as steep an angle as the short shaft on a typical Nova setup. With equal length the angles will be similar.

Both my shafts go upwards to the wheels anyway which isn't ideal.

Benn
04-10-09, 10:55 PM
Both my shafts go upwards to the wheels anyway which isn't ideal.

But as a std nova they point down, so it isnt that bad.

MK999
04-10-09, 10:56 PM
But as a std nova they point down, so it isnt that bad.

Well, that's not ideal either lol

Benn
04-10-09, 10:57 PM
No but people say if the shafts point up it will wreck the cvs faster, but they forget that as std a novas shafts point down.

Lee H
04-10-09, 10:58 PM
But as you go over bumps with standard suspension, the CV joints still have full movement as the shafts just go more level.

If they are already angled up they go even more angled over bumps which isn't really doing them much good.

See what you are saying though.

MK999
04-10-09, 10:59 PM
Standard novas also don't come with 150bhp+ and sticky tyres, which all just helps strain the CV's more.

edit: also not ideal in a power transmitting sense, less power at the wheels if the shafts are angled.

Benn
04-10-09, 11:01 PM
True Lee,

Mk, when you fit a xe/let you know cvs wont last all that long.

MK999
04-10-09, 11:02 PM
Will be looking into an XE for next year, how many CV's a year am I in for? lol

Benn
04-10-09, 11:04 PM
You wont brake them that often, its more so say hitting a pout hole at about 5k with your foot down that brakes them...

Lee H
04-10-09, 11:05 PM
I've never broken one and my XE got so much abuse yet I know mates who've smashed a couple. Guess its luck of the draw maybe......

MK999
04-10-09, 11:05 PM
About 12 then :( lol I don't have my foot down at 5k all that often in all honesty, so I should be ok, I'll get a couple of spares in the garage though, hate those fecking circlips in the middle! lol

I've never broken one and my XE got so much abuse yet I know mates who've smashed a couple. Guess its luck of the draw maybe......

And probably ride heights as well has a bit to do with it, mines far too low atm, wouldn't be surprised if my 1.6 popped a CV lol

Nova_Tek
04-10-09, 11:14 PM
Damn, from no posts when I left to 3 pages lol

Ok so to be able to drive the car I need MK2 Cav inners (as shown on Chris Astley's site) GTE 22 spline shafts with standard Nova out CV's. Are all Nova outer CV's the same fitment (I'd assume so)

How bad is torque steer when using the above setup?

MK999
04-10-09, 11:15 PM
Ok so to be able to drive the car I need MK2 Cav inners (as shown on Chris Astley's site) GTE 22 spline shafts with standard Nova out CV's. Are all Nova outer CV's the same fitment (I'd assume so)

From what I've seen while buying mine, yes.

Benn
04-10-09, 11:20 PM

Yes. Gte/Gsi shafts are only 22spline on the inner end.

Torque steer on a let? Mine isn't bad (using custom big block both end shafts) With it being low aswell (bump steer and that)

Nova_Tek
04-10-09, 11:20 PM
Cheers fella's, shopping list updated :thumb:

EDIT: [Benn] Are your custom big block shafts equal length?

Contemplating whether to just do it like has been mentioned with the 22 spline business and use the 2L conversion mount kit or go for the motorsport setup which gives you custom shafts hubs etc.

The difference in cost is £300 quid but there are a few more bits included. Need to do my sums. I have no intent on doing motorsport but may consider it if its gonna be a huge benefit. Just want the car to be totally driveable

Rich
04-10-09, 11:22 PM

Exactly right

If you got uprated shafts from chris astley you could ask for the equal length setup

The Simps
04-10-09, 11:38 PM
equal length helped with torque steer on my old nova no end! I never lost a cv on my nova either. Got told today tho that the lad who has my old nova now has been through 3 sets of driveshafts already! He's only had it but a few months. Must be wheelspinning it everywhere.

Thats the difference imo Nova_Tek. Standard shafts will be ok if you're not doing burnouts/hammering it in 1st etc all the time.

Nova_Tek
05-10-09, 12:08 AM
equal length helped with torque steer on my old nova no end! I never lost a cv on my nova either. Got told today tho that the lad who has my old nova now has been through 3 sets of driveshafts already! He's only had it but a few months. Must be wheelspinning it everywhere.

Thats the difference imo Nova_Tek. Standard shafts will be ok if you're not doing burnouts/hammering it in 1st etc all the time.

That says it all Simps, you knew how to drive it properly. He doesn't or is a :tard: trying to wheelspin and hit the lmiter every other gear change.

Is the torque steer bad on the normal shaft setup?

The Simps
05-10-09, 09:03 AM
Is the torque steer bad on the normal shaft setup?

Mine seemed quite ruthless yeah. No diff and its was quite torquey for some reason compared to most phase 2 lets. You certainly don't want to be planting your foot while trying to cross over the white lines and overtake. It still wasn't that much easier with the equal shafts but certainly better.

With a let nova, especially if you're running boost over standard, its constantly hunting down the weakest part of the car and trying to smash it to bits! I had to do a full nut & bolt check on mine every month as they would just vibrate loose!! :eek: I know other pople do the same.

Build it once and build it right imo. Over spec where you can because I promise you that you will end up running more power later down the line.

Nova_Tek
05-10-09, 09:29 AM
I see what you are saying. Doubt I'd go phase 2 or anything especially when it will be a daily driver, the standard engine is all that I am planning for now but that said like you mentoned its always tempting.

Just added up the difference between the LET motorsport setup with engine mounts, F28 mounts, gearbox spacer tierod lowering blocks, motorsport hubs and shafts £358. In comparison to the normal setup up which is £210 for engine mounts, F28 mount kit, gearbox spacer and the inner cv's. Haven't factored in the cost of finding/buying GTE 22 spline shafts.

Im guessing with the motorsport shaft & hubs I can then use big block CV's rather then Standard Nova stuff which is probably a lot more easier to source in the long run.

EDIT: Those equal length shafts; are they 22 spline or used with big block CV's?

Lee H
05-10-09, 10:28 AM
Motorsport shafts use big block CV's.

Equal length setup uses big block CV's.

22 spline shafts will usually cost you about £60 if you can find any.

Benn
05-10-09, 12:59 PM
EDIT: Those equal length shafts; are they 22 spline or used with big block CV's?

Big block hubs needed.

Nova_Tek
05-10-09, 09:28 PM
Motorsport shafts use big block CV's.

Equal length setup uses big block CV's.

22 spline shafts will usually cost you about £60 if you can find any.

Thanks, like you said, if I can find any hence the equal length setup may be an option as I can use big block shafts that are more readily available.

Big block hubs needed.

Cheers mate.

Any reputable suppliers of equal lenght shafts that I can check out on the net? Wanna check price so I can do some sums :thumb:

Lee H
05-10-09, 09:33 PM
Thanks, like you said, if I can find any hence the equal length setup may be an option as I can use big block shafts that are more readily available.

Cheers mate.

Any reputable suppliers of equal lenght shafts that I can check out on the net? Wanna check price so I can do some sums :thumb:

I got the outer part of the equal length setup from Chris Astley, same price as the other shafts he does.

Then you just need the inner equal length bit (that has the bracket that bolts to the back of the engine block) from a Cav/Calibra, think I paid £30 for mine from a scrapyard.

Nova_Tek
05-10-09, 10:03 PM
Any pics of the equal lenght shaft setup? Never seen one so tryna get my head around it but difficult to visualise.

alan b
06-10-09, 10:14 AM
so to get this clear, is anyone using 22 spline shafts on an let with a diff?

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 09:22 PM
People, if I opt fot the motorsport conversion kit which uses big block size shafts and hubs then which outer CV's do I use. Im sure it can't be any big block Vaux as some sites have different CV's listed for the same engine size.

Also with the big block shaft and outer CV which inner CV's do I use?

thanks

Benn
06-10-09, 09:26 PM
With the big block stuff, you use big block cvs both ends.

(Cav, Cally, Astra whatever they are all big block)

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 09:33 PM
OK so big block stuff both sides but from what car? for example if I go to a parts site and stick in 2.0 litre Cav it will give me 3 different big block CV's with varying prices.

let_nova
06-10-09, 09:34 PM
2ltr 16v c20xe cavalier, calibra

let_nova
06-10-09, 09:35 PM
find a reg of a cav gsi,calibra or astra gsi c20xe

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 09:36 PM
are the F20 & F28 CV's all the same?

let_nova
06-10-09, 09:37 PM
i think so yes.

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 09:39 PM
Ok cool thanks

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 09:50 PM
The Mk2 inner CV's. What year where they present on the 1.6 Cav's? 81-83 or 84-88?

Got a site listing the inners for both years and they are considerably cheaper than Chris Astley £30 - £35 a pop

16v Nova Kev
06-10-09, 10:25 PM
jeessuuussss. shafts this is the one thing that boils my piss. i dont dissagree with anybody elses posts but this is what i think. i have motorsport shafts and m.tec or what ever they are turned down hubs personally i hate them. the turned down hub part is very thin and has been cases of them snapping. so im going back to gte stuff at least the hub wont snap.

Benn
06-10-09, 10:30 PM
The Mk2 inner CV's. What year where they present on the 1.6 Cav's? 81-83 or 84-88?

Got a site listing the inners for both years and they are considerably cheaper than Chris Astley £30 - £35 a pop

The early ones iirc.

jeessuuussss. shafts this is the one thing that boils my piss. i dont dissagree with anybody elses posts but this is what i think. i have motorsport shafts and m.tec or what ever they are turned down hubs personally i hate them. the turned down hub part is very thin and has been cases of them snapping. so im going back to gte stuff at least the hub wont snap.

M tec says it all, if they are done right then arnt that thin.

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 10:30 PM

Cheers for the feedback mate. Im gonna go for the so called 'standard' setup as it seems to be fine from what I have read and the amount of people using this setup.

Just need to know info regarding my previous post.

EDIT: Thanks Benn.

Can anyone vouch for early 1.6 Cav inners?

Lee H
06-10-09, 10:49 PM
They are the 84-88 ones.

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 10:55 PM
Oooh tough one, two diffrent answers. lol

Is that a deffo yes? Seeing as you have a turbo I'm inclined to go with your answer more than Benn's.

Sorry Benn

MK999
06-10-09, 11:01 PM
Benns is a let as well lol

Nova_Tek
06-10-09, 11:03 PM
Really? Must've missed someting. Sorry dude.

See this just makes it even harder now lol

alan b
07-10-09, 12:50 AM
go with the gte stuff. im running let also, never had a problem

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 10:20 AM
Thanks, good to hear feedback from peoples setup :thumb:

Benn
07-10-09, 01:53 PM
lol yes mines a let, i might be wrong, but allways thought it was the early cavs that had them. Lee might be right..

Nova_Tek
07-10-09, 01:54 PM
OK mate, nearer the time I buy them I'll ask the people there whether or not they accept 22 spline shafts, that's if they know what Im talking about lol

:thumb: