PDA

View Full Version : Cav TD rev counter troubles

Andy
02-10-09, 06:31 PM
Just driven a 40mile journey in my Cav TD and for the 1st 10 miles the rev gauge was flickering up and down the clock when on tickover and even when driving at a constant speed.It stopped doing it after a while,any ideas anyone?? I presume summat electrical?
Any help/advice is always appreciated.

Spudly
02-10-09, 06:33 PM
Hmmm, funny one that and you say it stopped after a while, was it doing it from cold then stopped once warmed up..?

Andy
02-10-09, 06:42 PM
Nah it did it when it was warm

AlexW
02-10-09, 06:44 PM
It could be a change of voltage, or a earth problem, then again it could be a duff gauge.

Not really much help but it might be worth popping out the clocks and checking the wiring. If you know anyone with a spare set of clocks it might be worth popping them in, if it does the same the problem is elsewhere.

Adam
02-10-09, 06:44 PM
Probably a dodgy alternator

AlexW
02-10-09, 06:47 PM
Probably a dodgy alternator

I was trying not to say that, i know TD ones aint cheap!

Adam
02-10-09, 06:49 PM
Scrappy ftw.

On the issue of rev counters, the one in my td was acting weird today, it seemed to be counting revs downwards and not up lol lol
I.e. i was accelerating but the rev counter needle was moving down towards 0 :confused:
Was right weird.

Spudly
02-10-09, 06:52 PM
I think all TDs have alternator issues just for a laugh, ive replaced the battery alternator and charge relay on my cav and it still didnt wanna charge, left it off the road over summer while the nova was out then took it to get the alt looked at nefore putting it back on the road and they couldnt fault it, charge light doesnt come on till youve run it, turned it off and started it again, but it does now charge?

They told me rule of thumb is, if the rev counter works, then the alt is good/working!

Andy
02-10-09, 06:57 PM
Apparently the alternator was new a while back but its a reconned one at best.

General Baxter
02-10-09, 07:25 PM
I think all TDs have alternator issues just for a laugh,

210+ k miles and still going lol

Andy
02-10-09, 07:49 PM
Also on the subject of these motors id just like to say-Bio Diesel FTW
Its made mine run miles better and is more responsive.
I got 16litres for a tenner t'other day.Only downside is it absolutely stinks-doesnt really smoke but smells like a sickly greasy cafe smell LOL

Spudly
02-10-09, 07:52 PM
Haha, your cav of love smells like a butty wagon eh lol

I didnt have the dollar to get any while i was up there but wish i had as it cost me £50 to refill my tank from just under half on the guage, shouldnt have been sending it on all day saturday i reckon haha!