PDA

View Full Version : welders

Vausey_Nova_Knotla
02-10-09, 05:59 PM
what the best welder to weld cars with? as i want to do a bit of welding on my carthanks rob

L14MNP
02-10-09, 06:20 PM
http://fraservalleymotorama.com/images/JimmyShine3xx.jpg
I've seen him turn out some canny stuff. lol

brainsnova
02-10-09, 06:27 PM
mig that uses gas is best i would say.

MK999
02-10-09, 06:28 PM
mig that uses gas is best i would say.

cheapest/most common ;) TIG is probably the best/cleanest way to weld metals from what I've seen but I'm sure there's some other crazy expensive processes too lol

brainsnova
02-10-09, 06:37 PM
spot welder if you want to go fancy.

MK999
02-10-09, 06:39 PM
Spot welders are just uber cheap process, why they're used by big companies, not actually that good at all, hence people get their track shells and mig them up around the seams.

bmw156
02-10-09, 06:40 PM
MIG welder deffo,

google search mig welding and there is a really helpful site all about mig welding.

i always see it as, mig does thin stuff up to a few mm.

arc does fat stuff
and tig is just special and expensive.

brainsnova
02-10-09, 06:42 PM
spot welding a full sill on looks far neater than my welding lol

bmw156
02-10-09, 06:45 PM
do most spot welders need a different power supply to what normal houses use?

my mate has one and he had couldnt just plug it in. and it takes ages to set up apprantly. but it is rapid once set up

Mike
02-10-09, 06:59 PM
cheapest/most common ;) TIG is probably the best/cleanest way to weld metals from what I've seen but I'm sure there's some other crazy expensive processes too lol

TiG's very good! Very neat but TBH slow. Also it really isnt a DIY'er type skill!

You want 100amp+ MiG, gas fired. Dont even entertain a NO gas MiG, not worth the money or hassle. Adjustable wire speed/feed is also uber bonus too!

Mike
02-10-09, 07:00 PM
do most spot welders need a different power supply to what normal houses use?

my mate has one and he had couldnt just plug it in. and it takes ages to set up apprantly. but it is rapid once set up

3 phase you mean? Or just 110v tranny?

Andy
02-10-09, 07:07 PM
To weld car panels imo anything 90 or over is more than adequate,trouble with owt under 100 is it will cut out every so often,that said you shouldnt do continuous welds with panels anyway as it warps panels from the heat.
Also if you can, weld inside, or if you absolutely must do it outside do it on a calm day as it defeats the object of using gas if its windy lol

donaldsanchez
21-09-12, 08:40 AM
Welding should always be done by a reliable and experienced welder. You can also make the welding of your car done by a spot welder.

-----------------
spot welders (http://www.tjsnow.com/machines/index.htm)

Jon_nova1
21-09-12, 09:38 AM
Bring it to me and i'll weld it cheaper than you can buy a welder for

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jons-mobile-welding-Flint-North-wales/117436788284898

whoever said tig... flol

like said you need a Mig, Andy is partly right with what he says, if you get a welder that is 90 amp you would have to have it set pretty high all the time which means a constant duty cycle I.E it won't only be doing 50% power which wouldl stay cooler for longer, although you can buy Turbo welders which incorporate fans to help cooling, but your looking at £300ish just for a lower spec turbo welder

Paul
21-09-12, 12:13 PM
Old thread.