PDA

View Full Version : Rip off Vauxhall prices

NovaNeil
10-03-03, 08:42 AM
Is it just me or are genuine Vauxhall parts an absolute rip off!!!!
Vaux wanted ?80 a piston when I had a rebuild on my GSi and I got them from a place down the road for ?23 each.
They wanted ?18 for a head gasket and I got one elsewhere for ?7 and also ?150 for some engine mounts but I got some TAS ones for ?76 pounds.
NEVER buy from Vauxhall unless its a part that you can't get from elsewhere!

whitey
10-03-03, 09:25 AM
EVERYONE knows that!

They aint a rip off as such! The thing to remember is that they are genuine GM parts so will be better although it isnt really noticable.

Some parts are better off from GM and some not, depends on the application they are being used for!

NovaNeil
10-03-03, 09:29 AM
So what are the key parts that I should look out for, that I should only buy from Vauxhall? Are we talking engine components or something else?

whitey
10-03-03, 09:59 AM
Well Id say dont buy things like Vauxhall Dizzy caps etc etc! Minor things but as for some of the more primary things id pay good money!

Im not too hot on this area so others would expand!

But lets say you were doing rocker gasket, then go for cheaper coz its easy enough to change again.
However, if you were doing head gasket, would you really wanna buy a cheap and nasty one!?

MattyWoo
10-03-03, 11:13 AM
I'd buy all gaskets from vauxhall mate, i got a rocker cover gasket from my local parts shop and it was wank!!!

novax
10-03-03, 12:11 PM
we spent 2 days rebuilding a Calibra Turbo cos it wasn't a GM gasket. The rebuild was only 2 days old and it blew the water jacket.

Remember you're also paying for the reputation of the parts not to let you down, if it's criticle then buy GM

ZuG
10-03-03, 03:15 PM
116 quid for a electric window motor :(.

Chris LR
10-03-03, 03:56 PM
Yeah they take the piss, but Head Gaskets should really be GM, Mine lasted 25,000 miles and it was a Jap Crap one.

Nova-Flair
10-03-03, 04:07 PM
40+ quid for a leccy window switch i nearly shat!!!

TeddySRi
10-03-03, 04:09 PM
ITs alright for me I get my staff Vauxhall cost.

Or failing that I get my Vauxhall Performance Car club discount!!!

Sorry!

Chris LR
10-03-03, 04:11 PM
The only ways I've found to get a lower price are

1. If an Item has to be ordered, Order the wrong one, then blame the guy behind the counter for the mistake and demand a discount

2. Just demand a discount

Ste_Nova
10-03-03, 04:23 PM
how about jumping over the counter and using the epc without asking :lol:

Chris LR
10-03-03, 04:29 PM
I haven't thought of that, It's been ages since I last went to Vaux..... :(

whitey
10-03-03, 08:03 PM
Goto a scrappy or use the trader section!

Wouldnt advise that for gaskets though LOL Unless you on a real tight budget! LOL

locky
10-03-03, 08:07 PM
Genuine parts a rip off? not 4 me :lol: :wink: :wink:

techie
10-03-03, 08:14 PM
?130 for a n/s/f hub from Vauxhall for my GSi. And they cant supply it anyhow, alot of parts are now discontinued for the Nova as even the latest ones are over 10 years old now.

Got one, all be it a second hand one from VPSC for ?30

NovaNeil
13-03-03, 12:48 PM
I've noticed you can barter with them, I don't think the prices they quote are not the ones you have to pay :?: If you by a couple of things you can get the VAT off.
This is at Arriva Vauxhall in Leamington Spa by the way, I don't have any experience with any other Dealerships.
I purchased ?50 worth of stuff and got ?10 off just for asking if they could do it any cheaper because I was buying a number of items.

Worth a try next time you guys go to buy something.