PDA

View Full Version : side lights on when braking

nova_sting
01-10-09, 05:47 PM
Hi all I'm new to all this so go easy on me :)

I'm having problems with my lights, i installed a new dash a few months back (grey mk1 to brown mk1) first off I'm still using the original light switch from grey dash but for some reason my headlights wouldn't turn on unless i pulled out the switch as if turning on the interior light, the headlights are now working fine but the rear lights don't work now and when the lights are off and i brake the side lights come on now instead of the brake lights. All fuses are fine, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Tom

mayhem
01-10-09, 05:50 PM
sounds like an earth problem behind the dash

nova_sting
01-10-09, 05:53 PM
Could you tell me where the earth will be located?

Cheers

AlexW
01-10-09, 06:44 PM
Do you mean the whole lot of sidelights are coming on?

Earth behind the dash is in the middle of the dash iirc, think you can see it if you remove the radio on a mk1 dash.

nova_sting
01-10-09, 07:41 PM
More investigation shows the front side lights dash lights and number plate light come on when braking, the only lights on the back that work are the indicators, the number plate light on rear also comes on when interior light is turned on and head lights are fine. The earth behind where stereo is seems to be fine from what i can see?? It looks like I'm going to have to take the dash out to see all the wires again doesn't it? Nightmare

AlexW
01-10-09, 08:13 PM
Unfortnalty yes, it really sounds like the dash earth, it also could be the one that is on the steering collum mount, i forget where each earth is.

Rather than the rear earth, it could be a dody switch but i doubt it.

nova_sting
01-10-09, 10:05 PM
nightmare i'll see what i can do over the weekend and let you know how i get on cheers for your help anyways

Stuart
01-10-09, 10:09 PM
I had similar with the Astra recently.

Turned out that the connectors that touch the bulb for one of the brake/side bulbs was skew so that both pad touched causing stupid lighting.
take one brake/side bulb out at a time and see if the problem goes away, if it does then that side has the problem and gently bend the connectors back.

Failing that, someone has fitted a single filament bulb in when it should be a twin.

nova_sting
02-10-09, 05:28 PM
Problem solved it was the earth behind the dash above the steering collum it blew the bulbs tho and i've now melted the clear lenses so the new bulbs don't fit in so if anyone's wanting rid of any let me know. cheers guys