PDA

View Full Version : Mig welders

Dirtydog1
30-09-09, 08:05 PM
what are good makes of mig wlders?

im looking for something with at least 150amp, not bothered if its not portable etc, it will be used fairly often for car body and such like, any suggestions?????

ps. sorry if this is in the wrong section. :(

John
30-09-09, 08:11 PM
If you're thinking of buying a welder, i'd save and get the very best you can, especially if you're gonna use it heavily. I personally have a miller unit. Dear at £350 but worth every penny. No offence to those who have them, but i'd avoid the likes of machinemart/clarke welders. I speak from personal experience, i worked in an independant garage for nearly 7 years, and spent alot of that time doing body/mot welding, so a good welder is a must!

Milller and cebora would be my choice if you can stretch.

Jon_nova1
30-09-09, 08:18 PM
as above, i bought one from machinemart, why does everything from there break? lol

id say buy a decent one, one that uses disposable cartridges is ok, if its a good one, as you can just convert it to run on gas bottles, like me, c02/pub gas works ok for me

John
30-09-09, 08:19 PM
I run mine on the proper argon stuff, again well worth investing in.

bmw156
30-09-09, 08:20 PM
i think mine is a cheaper make of sealy. got it of ebay, brand new, with mask, gloves, wire and some gas i think for like 150 delivered.

has never let me down. and i have welded in an arch, and some other bits

its a 130amp and the thickest i have welded so far i think is 1.6mm and it did it with ease

Jon_nova1
30-09-09, 08:22 PM
definately if your going to be using it often, for me c02 is fine as theres no rental charges for it.

it depends how much your using it, how good you are at welding that will dictate what you need.

do not get gasless mig!

John
30-09-09, 08:23 PM
definately if your going to be using it often, for me c02 is fine as theres no rental charges for it.

it depends how much your using it, how good you are at welding that will dictate what you need.

do not get gasless mig!

Agreed, gasless migs suck balls!

Dirtydog1
30-09-09, 08:46 PM
yeah i dont want gassles, ive got a 150amp blue weld mig at the mo, it works fine, but after alot of heavy welding the tip gets very hot and wire feed can become slow.

i want to upgrade to something more substatial, im going to check out the miller migs as suggested above, ive heard of them before many times so must be quite well known.

anymore suggestions welcome. thanks

David2005
01-10-09, 06:59 PM
Portamigs are also very good. I've got a Clarke 160tm which was recommended to me as the best cheap welder you can but and hasn't let me down once. All depends how much you want to spend. Search this forum: mig-welding .co.uk . Weldequip on there sells loads of welders and will sort you out no bother

Dirtydog1
04-10-09, 03:09 PM
il spend up to £500, i want something that i can use regularly with the bigger gas bottles. i dont want a portable one really as ive got one thats ok.
this one is going to be for my workshop.

where can i buy miller welders from? most places seem to be in the usa :(