PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust drone!!

Mattig Nic
28-09-09, 10:47 PM
I've got a powerflow backbox on my sri.....i like it.....but it kinda drones a bit and does my head in.

would prefer to 'tone it down'.....or replace it completely. Any ideas??

What are other people runnin thats quiet but looks nice?? I'm all for the standard look btw....just a nice bit of shiny stainless is enough...

Nova_Tek
28-09-09, 10:58 PM
Maybe that fact that its just the backbox maybe why it drones.

For example I have a sportex backbox on my 1.2 carb, its quite deep, fairly loud and peaks at 3k.

My bro has a sportex full system on his SRI Cav, I thought it would make the car sound like mine but his one is very subtle sounds perfect, doesn't rasp, doesn't peak and isn't much louder than standard.

That's one possibility. So maybe investing in a full system may reduce the noise.

Mattig Nic
28-09-09, 11:00 PM
Maybe that fact that its just the backbox maybe why it drones.

For example I have a sportex backbox on my 1.2 carb, its quite deep, fairly loud and peaks at 3k.

My bro has a sportex full system on his SRI Cav, I thought it would make the car sound like mine but his one is very subtle sounds perfect, doesn't rasp, doesn't peak and isn't much louder than standard.

That's one possibility. So maybe investing in a full system may reduce the noise.

hmm.....i had a full magnex system on my previous sri from cat back at that was perfect....might see if i can get the same one again...or i may even get a standard back box and 'modify' a shiney subtle tailpipe on...

gazjoiner
28-09-09, 11:03 PM
got a mk1 ss mongose no cat system on my gsi! that thing in the morning is a little bit too much tbh! i had a magnex backbox on my old gte, that sounded pretty much standard up to 3000/4000 ish rpm! i think curtois has it on his red nova now! magnex ftw

Mattig Nic
28-09-09, 11:14 PM
am a fan of the 'nex too. good systems for a good price.....may even take it back powerflow tho..

gazjoiner
28-09-09, 11:19 PM
ye if i was parting with my hard earned again it would be a magnex! but as these are ss i,am going to have to put up with it till i die lol!
will powerflow muffle it abit more? is it new

Rysee
28-09-09, 11:23 PM
Im looking for a quiet system at the moment, a lad with a corsa i know tried to tell me his powerflow exhaust was loud then he heard my standard exhaust with rage backbox and conceded defeat