PDA

View Full Version : Nova C20let

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:19 PM
what is a Nova C20let like to drive and live with?

General Baxter
26-09-09, 10:20 PM
depends on who and how its been built

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:21 PM
say its done to a good standard nothing bodged, and a nice engine been looked after. so its running spot on. and it has an f28 box

Mike
26-09-09, 10:27 PM
Pretty fast & scary in wet probably. Wouldnt leave it parked out my sight anywhere other then a garage lol lol you'll probably + a few brownie points on your license too if you drive like a tool (well i did anyway but not in a LET)

Define a good standard?

Rickardo
26-09-09, 10:28 PM
Exciting and unpredictable sometimes.

Put it this way, you'll never get bored. :thumb:

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:32 PM
Define a good standard?[/quote]

complete rebuild, OEM parts would be fine though, re horn, rings, bearings, stem seals ect, and new turbo if theres play. nothing special just a standard build. standard parts are good for up to 250bhp aren't they?

Mike
26-09-09, 10:33 PM
Put it this way, you'll never get bored of torque steer changing you lanes on up shift whilst motorway driving

lol lol

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:34 PM
for those who have had a C20let nova.

for example.

can you use the power on B roads? or would it just spin up and go wild. lol
are they the sort of car that are only good for main roads. duals/motorways ect?
just trying to get some sort of image

brainsnova
26-09-09, 10:36 PM
gently apply the power and you'll be just fine.

Mike
26-09-09, 10:39 PM
for those who have had a C20let nova.

for example.

can you use the power on B roads? or would it just spin up and go wild. lol
are they the sort of car that are only good for main roads. duals/motorways ect?
just trying to get some sort of image

Its only the same as driving say an Elise/GT3/VX220 on those kind of roads tho. A lot of power, no weight, similiar concept really.

So in a nutshell, unless you drive like a complete **** then no, it'll be fine on any road/lane.

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:41 PM
yeah i suppose. but those car were designed to have a powerful engine in them lol. i get your point though.

General Baxter
26-09-09, 10:44 PM
keep the LET the cav you ******* lol

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:46 PM
are you talking to me? if so, i dont have a cav lol

edit, yeah doing cav owners a favour, making them rare and worth more money

Mike
26-09-09, 10:47 PM
going by your username id say you have dealings with Jap motors.....

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:48 PM
me?

Rickardo
26-09-09, 10:54 PM
My let is RUBBISH in the wet. 1.0ltr Corsa will spank you. Thats if you don't torque steer into him anyway.

In the dry, it will live with some very expensive machinery.

My mate has a 911, he has stopped playing when we are out.

Country lane's..It's a bake bean tin with 250 bhp, so it can be twitchy ar$e time sometimes.

Would i recommend one, of course i would, just be prepared to work on it alot. Even a good one needs looking after. :thumb:

Mike
26-09-09, 10:54 PM
me?

Yep, im sure C16B** is a Civic engine code...

Ala: D16Z6 1.6 16VSOHC VTEC for example.

Fcuk knows lol its late, i forget easily.

gez c16b
26-09-09, 10:59 PM
Yep, im sure C16B** is a Civic engine code...

Ala: D16Z6 1.6 16VSOHC VTEC for example.

Fcuk knows lol its late, i forget easily.

lol, no i used to have a corsa 1.6 sport. had a c16xe engine rebuilt and put that in.
here it is:
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/8252/dsc00654.jpg
http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/8252/dsc00762.jpg

so i came up with the name either c16b ( corsa 1.6 and 'b' for its model}

or

c16b ( c16 the engine code. and 'b' the shape again) lol

Mike
26-09-09, 11:00 PM
OOoooh i see lol meh was close anyway lol

gez c16b
26-09-09, 11:01 PM
lol, wouldnt have known if you didn't ask isnt it

Edd
27-09-09, 12:17 AM
You would have more fun with a tuned/turbo'd/charged smallblock engine IMO.

Big block engine in a nova=crap handeling.

gez c16b
27-09-09, 10:13 AM
but the money it would cost to convert to turbo, change internals ect. you could just go out and buy a c20let for that money, know its reliable and have 200bhp standard.

LEWI007
27-09-09, 10:19 AM
Whats the fastest you can get out of a let nova in a straight line then ?

theres some 600hp let corsa a some guys built, i always wondered if its possible to get 200mph out of a nova, the aerodynamics kill it though.

Mike
27-09-09, 10:22 AM
^ 200mph in a Nova is impossible, you'll be massivly restricted by the gearbox final drive ratio. Then it begs the calculation of total front mass + wind resistance, power to weight, downforce, and as silly as it sounds wind direction.

MK999
27-09-09, 10:25 AM
and as silly as it sounds wind direction.

80mph gales behind you ftw lol And nothings impossible, it's just hard... look out for a veyron in the scrappers, that'll get it to 200 i bet lol

LEWI007
27-09-09, 10:26 AM
so is there any record thats been set for the speed in a let nova ?

someone must of got about 150-60

Mike
27-09-09, 10:30 AM
so is there any record thats been set for the speed in a let nova ?

someone must of got about 150-60

Id hazard a guess at about 165/170ish utter max. With a trick 7 speed sequental box & about 500bhp I doubt you'd get much more.

Theres only one guy i can think of in the UK who cracked 200mph in a modified "non super car" so to speak. He managed 201.8mph in a Sierra Cosworth at Brunters before he ran out of runway. Then proceeded to over shoot the run off narrowly missing a few trees IIRC.

LEWI007
27-09-09, 10:35 AM
Id hazard a guess at about 165/170ish utter max. Without a trick 7 speed sequental box & about 500bhp I doubt you'd get much more.

Theres only one guy i can think of in the UK who cracked 200mph in a modified "non super car" so to speak. He managed 201.8mph in a Sierra Cosworth at Brunters before he ran out of runway. Then proceeded to over shoot the run off narrowly missing a few trees IIRC.

lol That sounds mad as fook, someone should of got a video.

and well its my aim to one day hit 200mph in a nova :thumb:, just wait..couple of years ill build something lol

Mike
27-09-09, 10:37 AM
lol That sounds mad as fook, someone should of got a video.

and well its my aim to one day hit 200mph in a nova :thumb:, just wait..couple of years ill build something lol

Glad youve got about £50k to do it them lol

The chap that owned that Sierra i mentioned, he sold a concours RST just to fund the engine management system lol

LEWI007
27-09-09, 10:46 AM
damn thats crazy,

you think 2 500hp c20lets and a 4x4 nova would reach 200 ?, if it didnt snap in half when you pull of lol

scott.parker
27-09-09, 10:52 AM
Im biased and would say your going to be better off with an XE on TB's like i and a few others on here have, mainly as theres less chance of sudden under steer as there is no turbo lag about to kick in etc, and you can see 180-200BHP from them without spending a fortune, and i can reassure you my car is more then enough on normal roads!
It will quite happily keep up with "supper cars" etc, but im not happy doing high speeds in it, the satnav has seen 133mph on it,and i let off, that was too fast in a NOVA.

Scott

Mike
27-09-09, 10:52 AM
As i said, you can have all the power, but if the gearings sh1t it'lll never happen!

Youve got a combination of weight issues, total frontal mass & downforce & grip.

If your putting out xxx torque, you'd need a soft compound high wear rate tyre, a kick ass diff to take it all an a funk load of downforce to compliment what potential grip you could have.

Jon_nova1
27-09-09, 10:57 AM
157mph been had out of a nova

200mph with twin engines, your asking for death lol

if your willing to go to those lengths why not get a vxr engine? or throw a skyline engine in, its going to cost no matter what anyway lol

dan16v
27-09-09, 10:57 AM
The saph cosworth is owned by Rod Tarry, think its record is 206mph, built by Mark Shead @ MADevelopments, seen the car a few times as it's where the nova gets mapped, awsome bit of kit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SB7cEuYi8pM

Mike
27-09-09, 10:58 AM
The saph cosworth is owned by Rod Tarry, think its record is 206mph, built by Mark Shead @ MADevelopments, seen the car a few times as it's where the nova gets mapped, awsome bit of kit!

Thats the geeza, Rod Tarry! Ive got the PF mag with it in somewhere :) funny thing is its still got all 5 leather seats an no cage, in the mag he admits to taking the kids on the school run in it FLOL lol

Hes clocked a better top speed since the feature then i see.

LEWI007
27-09-09, 10:58 AM
yeah its propably going to need some custom gear stuff.

i think this is the best place to test it though lol

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/PTGPOD/310739-FB.jpg
edit: better road lol

Mike
27-09-09, 11:02 AM
Although i wouldnt like to hit that bump in the road at the bottom, when im going 200 in a nova :(

Reyland managed 194mph in a Escos aswell.

Altho Martin Hadland has a little accident abroad with his missus in the car doing about 140 & totalled it lol so he built another faster one lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdyr9PyILk&feature=PlayList&p=8DFAFD4B952117E3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

LEWI007
27-09-09, 11:10 AM
I remember watching that one.

scott.parker
27-09-09, 11:11 AM

Same vid, more info. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gvkk7GENhHk&NR=1&feature=fvwp

philip
27-09-09, 11:14 AM

weigh about 30kg or so less than a 20xe. so with decent suspension i dont think your going to notice too much of a differance.

if building an ouot and out track car and have tons of £££ then yeah id say small block.

but the money it would cost to convert to turbo, change internals ect. you could just go out and buy a c20let for that money, know its reliable and have 200bhp standard

for that money you could build a reliable 400bhp let. but tbh 95% of people are honest when selling things, mainly on forums. but i dont think id ever just wack a motor in and hope its ok, id want to rebuild it to make sure its definately 100% ok.

mainly as theres less chance of sudden under steer as there is no turbo lag about to kick in etc

not true. i built a LET for my mates corsa. ran 376bhp @flywheel before it starting to spin and 60 odd deg inlet temps. so on the road its more like 400 or so bhp with inlet temps down 20-30degrees. it has very very little lag if anything at all. moment you put your foot down its away. its all down to the mapping.

if on chips and not management then yeah i will agree about lag/sudden boosting etc etc

Rick Draper
27-09-09, 11:26 AM
Thats the geeza, Rod Tarry! Ive got the PF mag with it in somewhere :) funny thing is its still got all 5 leather seats an no cage, in the mag he admits to taking the kids on the school run in it FLOL lol

Hes clocked a better top speed since the feature then i see.

Caged now.

Jon_nova1
27-09-09, 11:26 AM
surely you'll always get lag unless you have a small turbo or antilag lol

my cars got a small turbo, but you've still got to wait for the woosh of the turbo spinning up

philip
27-09-09, 12:29 PM
my mates on a t04e hybrid(spl)so not small but starts making boost just over 1100rpm, plant your foot and your gone

Jack
27-09-09, 12:30 PM
Lots of things affect lag, massive intercoolers are the worst lol

Anyway. Corners are for homos, put a 180c V6 in and have a cheaper & faster car than one with a LET lol

Jon_nova1
27-09-09, 12:44 PM
yep, massive coolers and bodging a route with really long pipework lol

Im running a vj20 (smaller than the garrett gt2871r)with a starlet sized intercooler (not in a nova)

and yes, theres still turbo lag, its an impossibililty without keeping the turbo constantly spinning lol

Adam
27-09-09, 01:10 PM
Oh noes, not again lol lol

Dar's seems to handle "ok" ;)

philip
27-09-09, 02:51 PM
olly hewitts handled ex well toolol

and if not mistaken...didnt you end up going big block adam after similar discussion?:confused: lol

scott.parker
27-09-09, 02:59 PM
Funniest thing is most people who say this, make this comment are going off others who either have no first hand experience, or have experienced a xe with near to standard suspension set up's etc.

philip
27-09-09, 03:00 PM
scott - you on about the big blocks dont handle?

Paul
27-09-09, 03:12 PM
IN answer to the original post.

It will only be as reliable as to the standard its been built too.

B roads, hang on tight to the steering wheel when you floor it.

Just for general driving theyre ok.

Theyre only as good as the standard theyve been built to. When I first done mine with a supposed 280bhp and no diff and ditchfinders and G max springs, it was as you'd expect a bit hair raising! Mine is now 300 genuine horspower, quaife diff, coilovers, polybushes, caged, sensible tyres, and its 1,000 times better than it was.

The diff is easily easily the best mod to do.

Edit: Oh and Ive had 164mph on my Nav!

philip
27-09-09, 03:26 PM
atb dif is a good choice imo for a road car anyway, compared to a plated tranx type

scott.parker
27-09-09, 03:29 PM
scott - you on about the big blocks dont handle?

Yes, that was to the big blocks are crap gang! ;)

scott.parker
27-09-09, 03:30 PM
IN answer to the original post.

It will only be as reliable as to the standard its been built too.

B roads, hang on tight to the steering wheel when you floor it.

Just for general driving theyre ok.

Theyre only as good as the standard theyve been built to. When I first done mine with a supposed 280bhp and no diff and ditchfinders and G max springs, it was as you'd expect a bit hair raising! Mine is now 300 genuine horspower, quaife diff, coilovers, polybushes, caged, sensible tyres, and its 1,000 times better than it was.

The diff is easily easily the best mod to do.

Edit: Oh and Ive had 164mph on my Nav!

You crazy cockney! lol lol lol

Lee H
27-09-09, 09:40 PM
Im biased and would say your going to be better off with an XE on TB's like i and a few others on here have, mainly as theres less chance of sudden under steer as there is no turbo lag about to kick in etc, and you can see 180-200BHP from them without spending a fortune, and i can reassure you my car is more then enough on normal roads!
It will quite happily keep up with "supper cars" etc, but im not happy doing high speeds in it, the satnav has seen 133mph on it,and i let off, that was too fast in a NOVA.

Scott

Standard KKK turbo isn't laggy at all though and surely driving hard you would be keeping it on boost ie over 2.5k revs so no surprises with understeer.

You have to spend more for a 200bhp XE than a 200bhp LET and the XE can't make another 80bhp or so for about £200 spent on tuning. The huge torque difference also makes a massive difference IMO.

Rick Draper
27-09-09, 09:48 PM
Reyland managed 194mph in a Escos aswell.

Altho Martin Hadland has a little accident abroad with his missus in the car doing about 140 & totalled it lol so he built another faster one lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zdyr9PyILk&feature=PlayList&p=8DFAFD4B952117E3&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=10

So many inaccurate points in that post i am not going to even dissect it.

Mike
27-09-09, 09:49 PM
So many inaccurate points in that post i am not going to even dissect it.

No go for it big chap. Please correct me. :roll: and then ill inform you how & why that post says what it does.

Edd
28-09-09, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Edd

Oh noes, not again lol lol

Dar's seems to handle "ok" ;)
i said that because of my own personal experiences. had a xe in my last nova,
big billies, Courtenay springs, disc all round, 15's, plated bay etc.

i found that on the road that it wasnt as fun to drive as my old gte due to the extra weight.

just my opinion

Edd