PDA

View Full Version : *HOW TO* wire up a rocker switch ignition and push button starter

Lee
26-09-09, 03:03 PM
Basically you have a red wire, two black wires and a black/red wire. The red wire is constant live, the two black wires are primary and secondary switched live (secondary switches first, this activates stuff like the stereo, eleccy windows etc, primary switched live activates the rest IE ignition.) Black/red throws the starter.

Cut all the wires off the barrel plug.

Join the two black wires together. This basically means you can switch all the stuff on at once instead of having a primary and secondary. (you can run each black wire to seperate switches, and bridge the red wire to each switch if you wish to keep the two cicuits seperate)

Run the red wire to one side of your ignition switch, and the black wires to the other.

Right, two options for the starter. If you want to be able to throw the starter with the ignition off, run one wire from the red wire to one side of the starter button, and connect the black/red to the other side of it. If you would rather the starter only throws with ignition ON, run the first connection from the black wires instead of the red one.

To connect an optional light to show ignition is on, run one wire from the black wires to the light, and the other to earth :)

Jack
26-09-09, 04:36 PM
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Misc/ignition.gif

I'd also be inclined to have a hidden kill switch or some form of lockable ON switch on the red wire, as this removes the ignition keys.

[edit] Oh, and don't forget to disable the steering column lock too if your'e planning on not using the ignition keys lol

nova-taken
31-10-09, 12:22 AM
good idea, very 2012, but why remove the most of the novas security? not like it has much standard, hence why we nova owners love kill switches and clifford immobilisers

MK999
31-10-09, 12:26 AM
Who said you have to? The example shows a switch, it doesn't show what type of switch or where it is... just use a little grey matter to work out exactly what you want to do security wise.

Lee: I can't figure out if you did this after I pm'd you about or whether I'm a numpty and pm'd you not long after you put it up lol

jimbob-mcgrew
31-10-09, 01:41 AM
i did do one of these guides myself months ago, but quickly removed it after realising thieves could use it. i dont wanna sound harsh, but u should remove it really, theres allready enough nova theft about without explaining how to do it.

edit : maybe stash it somewhere in the members section so its less public :thumb:

Lee
31-10-09, 11:13 PM
i did do one of these guides myself months ago, but quickly removed it after realising thieves could use it. i dont wanna sound harsh, but u should remove it really, theres allready enough nova theft about without explaining how to do it.

edit : maybe stash it somewhere in the members section so its less public :thumb:

TBH pal, car theft 101 is knowing how to hotwire a car. Nova's are unbelievably easy to steal, therefore a security system of some kind is a must. If you car gets hotwired and stolen, i doubt this guide will be to blame, it will be because you were silly enough not to immobilise your car. :d
You dont even need to buy an expensive electronic one either. using the guide above, hiding a simple switch somewhere in the loom is dead easy, and IMO far more effective.

Benn
31-10-09, 11:16 PM
They don't know how to hot wire a car, they think touching 2 wires from under the dash starts a car like it does in the movies (seen it a few times in the last few months)

Jack
01-11-09, 05:03 PM
I'd also be inclined to have a hidden kill switch or some form of lockable ON switch on the red wire, as this removes the ignition keys.
Thats exactly why I added that comment. Lets be honest, anyone who deletes the key and leaves a simple on/off switch with no further security is probably the kinda person who'd leave the doors unlocked, windows down and the keys in the ignition whilst parked up and unattended in Birmingham city centre.

Jon_nova1
01-11-09, 09:28 PM
since when did you have to h0twire a n0va to steal it? lol

can't beat the films Benn, the way two wires are scraped along each other sparking like they have 240V running through them lol

For anyone that knows about the ignition wiring, they'll quickly see this does not give an idea on how to get the car going, and if it was done properly with some security, it would actually help, theres nothing better than an unfindable switch lol

But don't forget to take things out with you to show its yours, especially if its delocked, if you get pulled you may be arrested on suspicion of theft, something like the old ignition lock in the glove box, and the key that fits it on your keyring lol

Iain
02-11-09, 02:11 PM
But don't forget to take things out with you to show its yours, especially if its delocked, if you get pulled you may be arrested on suspicion of theft, something like the old ignition lock in the glove box, and the key that fits it on your keyring lol
Nothing says 'proof of ownership' more than having a key that fits an ignition barrel that's not even attached to the car. :thumb:

Jon_nova1
02-11-09, 06:36 PM
it will be better than saying

"honestly officer, its my car!"

as if a car thiefs going to carry an ignition barrel and a key around with them lol

MK999
02-11-09, 06:37 PM
V5 and proof of ID may well work better than brandishing car parts at him :roll: lol

Jon_nova1
02-11-09, 06:50 PM
go for it, but i wouldn't like to have the V5 in the same car it belongs to

Jack
02-11-09, 09:57 PM
Proof of ID should be fine. The Police will have access to DVLA records to find the registered owner.

geth_xe
30-03-10, 09:38 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread, do you know if the secondary switched live stays live whilst cranking?

Lee
26-04-10, 03:21 PM
No, when cranking the secondary live goes dead when using the ignition barrel. If you remove the ignition barrel, the secondary circuit will stay live at crank UNLESS you have them on seperate switched and dont turn on secondary live until after the car is started :)