PDA

View Full Version : what should i look out for??

Rich_e
26-09-09, 11:53 AM
right the corsa is going and im going to be having a look at a few nova's and wanted your advice on what to look out for. as you can tell i am a complete newbie so any help would be great,

cheers Rich.

VXandy
26-09-09, 11:56 AM
Expect to hear a list as long as your arm on rust issues pal :thumb:

EDIT: I'd say if you dont know much about them, maybe ask a fellow member to go have a look at a car with you :)

scott.parker
26-09-09, 12:02 PM
Expect to hear a list as long as your arm on rust issues pal :thumb:

EDIT: I'd say if you dont know much about them, maybe ask a fellow member to go have a look at a car with you :)

Well the obvious things like creamy water coolant (head gasket gone) or oil water way's cracked on xe's etc...

Then check all the engine bay seams, if theres no plating or MAJOR structural rot you can sort surface rot out,

Check the sill's for bodged fiberglass in them, and the rear arch lips etc (take a rubber coted magnet, fridge one will do) if it's not sticking theres filler!

Check the inner arches behind rear wheels near the shock turrets they go quite allot on GSi's or most mk2's (poke them really hard with your fingers or even a screw driver)

Look in boot corners under carpets/behind rear light covers etc, if theres rot you can poke your finger through walk away!

Get under the car and check these place's.

Rear chassis legs both side's (normally though the one the toe eye is on rots worse for some reason) you don't want to buy it, then get toed from the back and pull the rear end off!

Just look for any bad signs of rot on the underside really, like round the rear spring cups etc.

Also check the underside of the front turrets/seam's to the splash guards, and the splash guards them self!

Maybe also the bottom front arms, front cross member, and see if the fuel tanks leaking round the seams...

lol not much really!

Rich_e
26-09-09, 12:04 PM
i had heard they rust like hell. but any areas in particular that i should check for rust? any engine size i should stay clear of? goin to look at a 2dr saloon with redtop tomorrow

scott.parker
26-09-09, 12:08 PM
Main area's i have said mate.

Rear chassis legs both side's

Check the inner arches behind rear wheels near the shock turrets

Then check all the engine bay seams, if theres no plating or MAJOR structural rot

Well the obvious things like creamy water coolant (head gasket gone) or oil water way's cracked on C20XE's etc

pikey1986
26-09-09, 12:31 PM
also the battery tray

scott.parker
26-09-09, 12:41 PM
also the battery tray

lol i forgot some go there, none of mine have though. ;)

brainsnova
26-09-09, 12:55 PM
everywhere metal

pikey1986
26-09-09, 12:55 PM
yourr lucky lol

Iain
26-09-09, 01:00 PM
Also front splash guards can go quite badly. Rust by the cossmember around tie bar mounts is concerning. The slam panel at either ends where it meets the wing can rust through but isn't too structural.

If you want it looking nice, check the rear arch lips and look under the doors around the drain holes for rust.

scott.parker
26-09-09, 01:02 PM
Yeah doors is a good one i didn't say about, nice one Iain.

Rich_e
26-09-09, 01:12 PM
thats one long list, gonna have to put some work in to this arent i.

Iain
26-09-09, 01:14 PM
Can you weld? lol

brainsnova
26-09-09, 01:15 PM
have a look at the back axle behind the back wheels where it goes towards the rear quarters.

scott.parker
26-09-09, 01:22 PM
lol basically ask for some one off hear who's near to you to come look at them with you, im sure a nice member will, but yeah there can be some real rotter's out there!