PDA

View Full Version : digi dash

kenny_lad
08-03-03, 06:58 PM
hi, right ive bought a digi dash, it has the plug for the gear box but not the cable comin off it, just wonderin where ill need to go to get one off?its goin on a 1.2 single point injection if that makes any difference, thanks a lot
dan :)

locky
08-03-03, 07:25 PM
Wot do u mean by cable? speedo cable? if so it doesnt need 1 its all electronic! Otherwise, ul need the transducer which plugs into the plug that goes into the gearbox! this has 2 (could be 3 cant remember) wires coming off it!

brian
08-03-03, 07:49 PM
a single point 1.2 Nova i bought for the shell had a connection comming off the transducer unit(bit into the gearbox) to take the plug for a Digi clocks. Maybe this is standard on some -i don't know- but check yours.
There are 3 wires to be connected to the Digi clocks so i presume there are 3 wires going to the connection on the transducer unit, if so cut off the plug (since you have nothing to plug into it) and join on 3 wires. run these up to the clocks. they should be colour coded at the box end and i'm not certain but i think it a live, an earth and an info feed so you should be able to match these up to the clocks using the wiring diagram.
Then again this might not make a bit of sense to ya :o but it does to me as i did it this way once! :wink:

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 11:06 AM
you could get it off any vauxhall with a electronically operated dashboard - afterall all you need is the plug........

if your still having problems email me and ill have a look on the EPC what models of car you can get it from, or give you a part number - but you wouldnt buy a complete loom i wouldnt of thought you only want the little bit dont you...............

kenny_lad
09-03-03, 11:23 AM
arite lads thanks for the help ive just been n had a look at it, ive been givin the plug n it has 3 pins on the end of it,i went to my car n its a metal cable, so il have to take the cable off like it says in the instal guides and put a new cable in(electronic i presume) well i aint got that bit that connects the plug to the dash to replace the speedo cable, so i was wonderin what i would need to put in its place and what off ? thanks again :lol:

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 12:19 PM
like i said any vauxhall with an electronically operated dash. i . e a sender like what the digi dash is out of, not mechanical drive like what you describe your nova (and every nova) has.

its going to be a bit hard to find you know..... and you wont buy it from vaux as itll be part of the loom :(

what u need to do is run three wires from it

+ve
-ve
and red blue wire which is speed.

you could solder some wires to the pins and then whack a load of hot glue gun glue in there to seal it, then wrap it in electrical tape..............

kenny_lad
09-03-03, 10:56 PM
ok so when u say +ve n -ve do u just mean any type of single core wire n is that speed cable a one il have to get of another car? do u know what other vauxhall are have that electrical sender rather than mechanical type. cheers

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 11:00 PM
theres three pins on the sender right?

get some suitable wire of any description, and solder it to the three pins. run one wire to a negative, one wire to an ignition switched live, and the third wire to your red blue on your digidash.

then glue gun etc as i said before...............

TBH i dont think you will find just the plug. although ill have a look at our scrappy as im sure there will be summat

Aragorn
10-03-03, 10:48 AM
1.2 and 1.4 SPi use the same connectors

infact the sender they use is the same as the 8v sender so if uve got an 8v dash it might be worth getting as a spare

mikeoxford
10-03-03, 01:51 PM
1.2 and 1.4 SPi use the same connectors

infact the sender they use is the same as the 8v sender so if uve got an 8v dash it might be worth getting as a spare

i dont think they are the same.......... they just use the same amount of pulses to contro lthe ECu as the road speed sender coincidently....... thats why they work

kenny_lad
10-03-03, 07:03 PM
yea there is three pins on the connector,
ill try that thing with the wire until or if i ever find the proper thing,
when i was lookin at the scrap yard i noticed that all of the cars just had the speed cable but mine has got 3 different wires that run off presumably to the ecu i dunno, whats the deal with them do i need to do anything with them? just one other thing why will i need to use the glue gun wont the wires be insulated anyway from the other sheath things?
cheers :)

mikeoxford
10-03-03, 07:29 PM
do you have an 8v or 16v digi dash?

if its the 8v, scrap using the astra sender and just wire up using the existing sender youve got, splice intot the wires and use them, itll save agro and you gettin confused :wink:

kenny_lad
10-03-03, 10:24 PM
yea its the 8v one, so wot u mean, coz these wires dont go to the dash they go somewhere else, they like come out of the bottom of the orignal sender go into a black cyclinder type thing n then join a load of other wires.
cheers

mikeoxford
10-03-03, 10:32 PM
yea its the 8v one, so wot u mean, coz these wires dont go to the dash they go somewhere else, they like come out of the bottom of the orignal sender go into a black cyclinder type thing n then join a load of other wires.
cheers

as you said yourself really.

the one you have in now is for the ECU, the three wires leave the sender in the gearbox, into the black plug you describe, and then dwon the loom into the ECU.

SO somewhere between the black plug on the loom and the ORIGINAL sender, as well as the original wires, splice in three new wires and run these to your dash

JOB DONE

easy as

Aragorn
11-03-03, 01:59 PM
if the ECU is still powered and your still using the 1200i u dont need 3

u just need to tap the signal wire (red and blue), and its easier to do that from inside the car beside the ECU itself as that way u dont need to feed any shit inside the car

if the ecu aint powered (ie uve swapped engines or summat) then u will need to provide all 3 feeds

it will prolly be easier to do it from the sender in this case as trying to find 1 wire aint too hard trying to find which red and brown wire goes to thew sender will be slightly more difficult as there are loads down there

kenny_lad
11-03-03, 06:31 PM
cheers mate i was thinkin i might only need to cut into signal wire il try it this weekend when i get a load of connecter blocks n nick some wire from college, i let u no if it all works ok, cheers eveyone for help
dan :D

mikeoxford
11-03-03, 09:44 PM
cheers mate i was thinkin i might only need to cut into signal wire il try it this weekend when i get a load of connecter blocks n nick some wire from college, i let u no if it all works ok, cheers eveyone for help
dan :D

DONT FORGET you will need to keep the existing wire connected! dont cut it off and forget about it and attach the new wire, you need to connect ALL THREE

kenny_lad
17-03-03, 06:43 PM
right lads got dash in n its workin fine, thanks for help
Dan :D

mikeoxford
17-03-03, 09:55 PM
thank heavens for that!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: