PDA

View Full Version : under 25's driving other cars insurers?

joeSRI
25-09-09, 10:36 AM
need one asap! Anyone know of any good ones?

Cheers

Jack
25-09-09, 11:26 AM
CIS used to wayy back in the day, not sure now though.

Spudly
25-09-09, 11:52 AM
HIC used to do it, but not if youre in the motor trade though, they took it off me when i told them i worked for a honda maindealers and ive never had an insurance company offer me this service since, tis annoying as hell as there have been times ive needed to borrow my rents car but im unable as he wont add me on his policy (my dad i mean)

joeSRI
25-09-09, 11:55 AM
HIC told me they wont do it anymore. It is really useful, especially when you only own one car and its a nova! lol

Jack
25-09-09, 01:34 PM
HIC used to do it, but not if youre in the motor trade though, they took it off me when i told them i worked for a honda maindealers and ive never had an insurance company offer me this service since, tis annoying as hell as there have been times ive needed to borrow my rents car but im unable as he wont add me on his policy (my dad i mean)
I don't get the motor trade thing, surely if you were driving another car as part of your work you'd need business cover on the other vehicle (afaik drive any car is usually simply TPFT SDP)... and surely the company insurance would cover you if you were on it?

I most certainly would not want to have to claim on my own personal insurance if my boss in a garage made me shift a car across the yard.

[edit] What do you need it for?

brainsnova
25-09-09, 01:37 PM
direct line might do it.

Iain
25-09-09, 05:41 PM
HIC did for my renewal but that was about 11 months ago (through Chaucer). Didn't realise it was difficult to get for under 25s.

skyinsurance
25-09-09, 05:47 PM
Industry trend is that it is only given to over 25 years olds who do not work in the motortrade sector. A lot of companies are even withdrawing it for the over 25 years olds and there is talk about DOC being removed completely as it's use is being abused.

Stoo
25-09-09, 05:55 PM
Doc???

Jack
25-09-09, 07:27 PM
Driving Other Cars

I'll be annoyed if it is removed. Its a handy thing to have :(

Pistol Pete
25-09-09, 07:48 PM
I'll be annoyed if it is removed. Its a handy thing to have :(

+1

MK999
25-09-09, 07:53 PM
The way european insurance works is soooo much better imo, but obviously insurance companies can't then capitalise on younger drivers etc.

For those that don't know, a car is insured without any mention of who drives it, cost is purely on the performance/crash stats etc for that car, sucks for the older drivers I guess but that's probably when you're more able to afford the insurance anyway.

Iain
25-09-09, 08:21 PM
Industry trend is that it is only given to over 25 years olds who do not work in the motortrade sector. A lot of companies are even withdrawing it for the over 25 years olds and there is talk about DOC being removed completely as it's use is being abused.

How is it abused? A similar way to fronting?

krobinson
25-09-09, 08:22 PM
Quinn Direct give it on all policys.

Here in Northern Ireland, there is a growing trend of young drivers 17/18/19/20 etc insuring a small car like a clio with Quinn Direct, registering their Subaru/Evo/Type R civic etc in their dads name, and driving it using the DOC extension.

This type of thing is going to ruin it for the genuine people who use it to occassionally drive a car for proper reasons.

Keith

Jack
25-09-09, 09:52 PM
The way european insurance works is soooo much better imo, but obviously insurance companies can't then capitalise on younger drivers etc.

For those that don't know, a car is insured without any mention of who drives it, cost is purely on the performance/crash stats etc for that car, sucks for the older drivers I guess but that's probably when you're more able to afford the insurance anyway.
Thats far far worse IMO. Its the driver who crashes the car, not the car that crashes the driver. I'm an Ok driver, I've never had an accident in the ST205 because I can handle it, but it IS a big powerful japanese rally car - so why should I be penalized to drive it? Don't blame me because 17 year olds can't drive for sh!t.

How is it abused? A similar way to fronting?
As keith says. Junior insures a Metro or something equally sh!t, then goes off in "daddy's" evo/impreza/GTR/space rocket and trashes it. Whilst DOC is usually limited to third party cover only, they'll probably end up crashing into something expensive.

MK999
25-09-09, 09:57 PM
Thats far far worse IMO. Its the driver who crashes the car, not the car that crashes the driver. I'm an Ok driver, I've never had an accident in the ST205 because I can handle it, but it IS a big powerful japanese rally car - so why should I be penalized to drive it? Don't blame me because 17 year olds can't drive for sh!t.

Thing is you probably wouldn't be, it seems to average out at roughly what it'd cost a 27-30 year old to insure from what I've seen, haven't exactly brushed up on my german to get a wide range of quotes though.

It's not like you actually get anything over here for being a decent driver anyway, in fact if you told an insurance company you'd been on multiple different driving courses had experiences in rally driving and used to drive touring cars for a team they'd up your premium because they're expecting you to drive faster with your greater confidence or some crap :roll: I'm just waiting for when NCB increases your premium because you're bound to crash sooner or later and it seems you're due one lol

brainsnova
25-09-09, 10:09 PM
8 years ncb, here no crashes :thumb: yet (mk6 transit sideways as i type this)

AlexW
25-09-09, 10:16 PM
Traders policy FTW!

Jack
26-09-09, 12:02 AM
Thing is you probably wouldn't be, it seems to average out at roughly what it'd cost a 27-30 year old to insure from what I've seen
So a 17 year old could insure a GT4 for £300? Great. So when they start crashing them left right and centre, it will mean the car is a greater risk (as the claim rate is higher) so I'll pay more. :roll:

It's not like you actually get anything over here for being a decent driver anyway
Yes you do, its called NCB. Which is why I can insure the above car for the above stated £300. lol

The problem at the moment is the system should work, as people who pose a greater risk (i.e. young drivers) should limit their cars by insurance cost. However its flawed as some people will pay through the nose to insure crappy small engined euro 80s rot boxes, so (in the eyes of the insurance companies) are clearly happy to pay that amount.

If the insurance on my Celica cost over a grand, I would look for a different car.

MK999
26-09-09, 12:04 AM
Yes you do, its called NCB. Which is why I can insure the above car for the above stated £300. lol

That's for going a certain number of years without having any recorded claims I thought? Unrelated to being a decent driver, or obviously I could also insure said car for £300 surely lol

Jack
26-09-09, 12:11 AM
Yep, although on insurance you are asked if you have been involved in any accidents - bear in mind thats different to having made a claim. Making a claim implies the accident was your fault.

I don't think its unrelated. One of the reasons why NCB affects your policy is because statistically if you've had an accident, you're more likely to have another one in future. Going 9 years without having a claim or accident surely shows that I am a cautious driver who is capable of handling my vehicle does it not?

AlexW
26-09-09, 12:15 AM
In the same respect as above, if your crashed into your more likly to be crashed into again!

MK999
26-09-09, 12:20 AM
IIRC any quotes I've done only ask for claims? But never really paid any attention to it as I'm a no however it's phrased. I'm sure it does prove you're statistically less likely to have an accident, but it still assumes every new driver is a useless twunt that drives like a tool and removes cash from multiple orifices when theres little around lol Seems most other countries have the system of insuring a car rather the driver so don't see why it wouldn't work over here too.

But then I'm just bitter that the only half decent car I can insure is a nova and the thing most likely to delay that further is some other dozy tit hitting me.

Jack
26-09-09, 12:38 AM
Experience plays a big part.

MK999
26-09-09, 12:48 AM
Experience plays a big part.

Yeah I lose out there too, due to instructors moving away and me not having cash for lessons, exams in the way etc etc I didn't pass until I was 19 (day before I was 20 lol)

edit: although I've been driving since I was 17 and in a wider range of cars (think the count was 6 by the time I'd passed) than most people, it all counts for crap all!

MattBrown
07-10-09, 10:05 AM
You have to be 21 with quinn in the uk!

Believe me, we may be going to court with them lol lol lol

I dont understand people? If you cannot afford the toys, then dont play?

I am on £14k as an apprentice, and still manage it?

If people choose to get pissed and stoned all the time, then they cant have the toys? All my money goes on cars, bikes, motocross, eating out (I enjoy pub meals)

so moral of the whinging is, learn how to drive, then get a fast toy, and if you cant pay, you cant play!

Rich
07-10-09, 05:56 PM
The problem is a 17 year old could easily go drive anything they like if the car was insured instead of the driver so i can see why its probably going to be stopped.

I will never have the option of driving other cars being a mechanic which really annoys me. Its simple things like a long journey, my mate says do you want to drive im tired, cant because im a mechanic!?

Going to look into a traders policy but unsure whats envoled and what would actually class me as a trader (im starting to do my own work and buy/sell cars)

doey106
21-10-09, 09:55 PM
elephant.co.uk i had a v reg 330 bmw when i was 19 and that cost me 1500 quid with elephant

Plug
21-10-09, 10:10 PM
The problem is a 17 year old could easily go drive anything they like if the car was insured instead of the driver so i can see why its probably going to be stopped.

I will never have the option of driving other cars being a mechanic which really annoys me. Its simple things like a long journey, my mate says do you want to drive im tired, cant because im a mechanic!?

Going to look into a traders policy but unsure whats envoled and what would actually class me as a trader (im starting to do my own work and buy/sell cars)

to become a trader i think you have to sell at least 5 cars a year IIRC

not 100% thou

Bubba
01-11-09, 03:03 AM
i thought it was 12 cars :/