PDA

View Full Version : knocking noise

ade
08-03-03, 12:26 PM
I'm pretty sure I know what this is but just wanna run it by you lot.

Mt nearside front wheel (or summut just behind it) has started to make a knocking noise when on full lock.

Its a rhythmical knock knock and occasionally it sounds when I pull away from standing.

Checked under the car last night and in poor light think the cv boot has come away from wheel (emainly when on full lock) so I'm thinking its my cv joint/bearings

Anyone think different and anyone know if I canjust replace the boot and pump full of axle greese or will I need a new cv joint?

I think the boots intact - will get a better idea tomorrow (at work at mo)

Ta

Ade

mikeoxford
08-03-03, 02:41 PM
does sound like it mate

is it a hollowy rubbery knocking sound?

brian
08-03-03, 07:56 PM
does it sound like a far away rock breaker tapping away?!!! :?

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 11:10 AM
does it sound like a far away rock breaker tapping away?!!! :?

WTF!? :lol:

brian
09-03-03, 05:34 PM
crazy enough way of discribing describing it!!! I was in a strange mood :roll:

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 05:42 PM
:lol:

look out for your calender brian................. should be on its way

brian
09-03-03, 05:43 PM
Nice one :wink:

ade
09-03-03, 06:24 PM
yeah, its a kind of knock knock (echoey through the car) - but defo from the nearside front - onkly on full lock and when (occasionally) pulling away.

Can I just pump axle greese into the cv boot/joint and restrap back on (providing boots ok?)

Not had chance to check it out coz its pishing it down at the mo

Ade
:?

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 06:49 PM
make sure you check for debris and grit inside

stugsi
09-03-03, 07:18 PM

it a dirty job take your hub off and get the circilp pliers on the middle in between all that grease when its off clean the best you can check for deep marks ( the dirt and grit caused )

if not to bad pack the boot with grease put it back together and it should be ok

have a drive for ten min to get the grease moving then try your full lock foward then reverse

mikeoxford
09-03-03, 09:56 PM

im sure theres an echo in here :lol:

jatinder
09-03-03, 11:21 PM
make sure u havent locked ne one in ur boot in mistake :D or more likely driveshaft

techie
09-03-03, 11:55 PM
Get a new CV joint.

ade
10-03-03, 02:53 PM
cars going into the garage on Wednesday - driving to work this morning - got to about 50 and it was pinking, changed down when I came to a roundabout to 3rd - accelerated away (not hard) looked in mirror and say smoke! :o

Changed down at next roundabout and pulled away other side, more smoke - but only when changing from 3rd to 4th and accelerating (again - not hard).

Guy who fitted engine to look at it - I think timings out and its burning oil as a result. Its not the head (sure of it) as its not smoking all the time.

Theres a gentle tick ticking noise coming from engine when at opp temp.

The plot thickens - I'll keep you posted (hes gonna check cv boot at same time)

Ade
:|

mikeoxford
10-03-03, 06:19 PM
Theres a gentle tick ticking noise coming from engine when at opp temp.

valve not seating properley?

whats the oil level like also?

ade
10-03-03, 09:46 PM
oils fine, waters fine - some oil seems to be leaking (dark mess) just below the dizzy unit just under it. HGowever only really started to do it today so...

Timings defo out though - cant accelerate from 30 to 60 without pinking like a futher mucker!

Smokes when I accelerate then stops.

Poss valves - guys gonna look at it on Wednesday - using the birds tomorrow just incase...

:(

ade
12-03-03, 10:20 PM
well took me car into the garage to get the smoke and cv jpint sorted.

CV boot still had greese in it so he cleaned it up and fixed it (no need to new joint)

Smoke he said was prob caused by the timeing, idle and engine standing for so long in the old car before it was fitted back in mine (plus it had been standing for over a month when I went on holiday) and valves/seals had just got dirt/deposits on them. Changed oil and stuck in a valve cleaning additive in with new oil to clean them up.

I've to drive "sensibly" for a few hundred miles ( :evil: ) and see how it goes for a couple of weeks. If no better bring it back and he'll do values and oil seals...

It was still smoking a bit when I drove home but only when I was in 3rd going up hill. Its a little sluggish but I'm just taking it easy so foots hardly pushing the pedal...

:roll: