PDA

View Full Version : GSI oil pressure gauge..??

Mattig Nic
24-09-09, 09:19 PM
I've just fitted a gsi dash into my sri.

I've fitted the necessary sender in the engine and connected the correct wire to it. When the engine is on, the gauge reads exactly in the middle and does move (very slighlty) to high rpms.

The confusing thing is if i knock the engine off, the gauge remains in the middle. Should it not read 0?? What if i'm losing pressure with the engine running and it doesn't read below 0.5?? Do they all do this?? :confused:

How does everyone else's read??

vaughanmc
24-09-09, 09:20 PM
When you put the engine on from cold it should read full pressure and as you drive it should go down if you let it idle...When your using the throttle the gauge should read full

When you turn the car off from having it running the gauge should read somewhere between half and 3/4...

Hope that helps :thumb:

AlexW
24-09-09, 09:31 PM
The gauge isnt sprung like a temp gauge or rpm/speed etc.

brainsnova
24-09-09, 09:55 PM
if its still at half way when you turn the ignition on so its just dash light it should zero itself.

Mattig Nic
25-09-09, 03:47 PM
Hmm..it seems that it has 'freed' itself. The needle is now moving round with relative ease...
Its now showing 1/4 on warm idle and spikes up the range with higher rpm's...will leave it to cool right down and try again later...... :S

brainsnova
25-09-09, 05:53 PM
Hmm..it seems that it has 'freed' itself. The needle is now moving round with relative ease...
Its now showing 1/4 on warm idle and spikes up the range with higher rpm's...will leave it to cool right down and try again later...... :S

thats normal :thumb: but if you had the car running at high revs and the needle suddenly dropped that would indicate a engine problem.

Mattig Nic
25-09-09, 11:30 PM
needle working fine now!! shoots to max wen electrics are on, then registers pressure when engine running. must've just been a sticky gauge with lack of use....