PDA

View Full Version : Refurbing rear brakes

MK999
24-09-09, 09:11 PM
What do I need? Obviously new brake shoes, possibly drums as well (I suspect drums as well tbh as the back brakes are shocking) Anything else less obvious? Is it worth doing the bearings at the same time or are these just as easy to do when/if they actually need doing?

First time I've done it and want to make sure I get everything I need tomorrow as I need the car monday :)

pikey1986
24-09-09, 09:12 PM
may as well do the bearings for the sake of 20mins a side

mowgli
24-09-09, 09:15 PM
well, considering that the bearings fit in the drum (and hub) assy, new bearings are a must. get new springs if the shoe set has none.
if the slave cylinders are a bit rusty, get them swapped too, they are cheap.

also remember to back off the handbrake cable before attempting reassembly.

floydy13
24-09-09, 09:16 PM
you will have to do the bearings if your fitting new drums, because you wont get the old cups out of you old drums! do one side at a time so that you can see where the springs go if you forget!

Paul
25-09-09, 01:27 AM
Drums shoes bearing wheel cylinders possibly upgrade the flexis to braided at the same time, be prepared to make a new brake line or two if theyre a coont to get off, IMO do the hanbrake cable too whilst its all apart. Dont forget to degrease tge drums and be careful when pushing the bearing caps in the new drums!

MK999
25-09-09, 11:04 AM
Awesome, cheers guys :thumb: Off to the motorfactors now :)