PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 16v fueling problem

jonn
24-09-09, 06:56 PM
i wired up the x16xel engine in my nova 2day and tried to start the car but the fuel pump wont go. do i need a fuel pump relay or why wont it go? and on the fuel rail which is the return and which is the feed? thanks for any help :thumb:

Jay
24-09-09, 07:02 PM
What fuel pump have you got and what engine came out?

jonn
24-09-09, 07:05 PM
the engine is out of a 1997 vectra and so is the pump

jonn
25-09-09, 08:52 AM
does anyone know what is wrong with it? when it was in the vectra and u turned the ignition on the fuel pump would prime for a few seconds then stop. but now it wont do anything in the nova. would a relay make it prime when the ignition is turned on?

joeSRI
25-09-09, 08:57 AM
It might have seized?

jonn
25-09-09, 09:01 AM
i tried it straight off the battery and it pumps ok. so i think it is the wiring

Jon_nova1
25-09-09, 09:49 AM
erm lol

what does the fuel pump connect to at the moment?

if you connected it to where its meant to go, it should work

Southie
25-09-09, 09:50 AM
What fuel pump are you running? Also which petrol tank have you got?

burgo
25-09-09, 10:11 AM
i assume you have kept all the immobilisor side of the management and got the key taped to pick-up ring?

jonn
25-09-09, 10:16 AM
i am using the vectra pump and a 1.2i tank. i have the transponder all wired up and the ecu light is not flashing. the pump will pump fuel fuel when i put it direct off the battery. i have also noticed that the fuel is not going pass the fuel regulator in to the fuel rail. if i push in the pressure valve at the end of the fuel rail no petrol or air comes out.

General Baxter
25-09-09, 10:19 AM
the reg stops it from comming out the rail, not from going in

burgo
25-09-09, 10:21 AM
as baxter sort of said your return line should be connected to the regulator.

Southie
25-09-09, 10:22 AM
Try moving the key and chip around a little and keep trying it. They're a little awkward to get in the right place at first. Also if you can try and get hold of another fuel relay it may help.
Which wiring diagram did you use? Adams should of helped.

jonn
25-09-09, 10:25 AM
i read some where else and it said the fuel feed goes to the regulator. i will change it over and try again. i will be back in a few minutes!

burgo
25-09-09, 10:25 AM
id surgest putting the fuel lines round the right way, then get a multimeter tester and check you have a switched live going to the fuel pump relay when you turn on the ignition and then check the feed for the fuel pump to see if you have power going to it

jonn
25-09-09, 10:46 AM
ok i got it started for a few seconds but it ran out of petrol. i dont have a fuel pump relay wired in so could that be the problem?

Southie
25-09-09, 10:47 AM
ok i got it started for a few seconds but it ran out of petrol. i dont have a fuel pump relay wired in so could that be the problem?
eeer "yes" how else would it pump fuel. :roll:

AlexW
25-09-09, 10:49 AM
It needs a relay, should be a pink one.

If you say it cut out it could be the imobliser... the light Isnt flashing? And the wire/back of dash isnt touching the body anywhere?

jonn
25-09-09, 10:51 AM
how hard then is it to wire in the relay? what colour would it of been in the vectra?
edit:the ecu light is not flashing. i will try and find a relay now

AlexW
25-09-09, 10:54 AM
Well how have you wired the fuel pump atm?

jonn
25-09-09, 11:06 AM
this is the way i have it wired. if u can follow this. it looks like the relay is wired in. it is pink and has a thick red wire going to the + on the battery

Thick red with fuse on goes straight to battery 12v.?? IT THIS THE FUEL PUMP RELAY???

In the large rectangular plug on the bulkhead of the Vectra where the ECU loom meets the car loom;

black > black on Nova loom for ignition live
thick red/blue goes through 20A fuse back to fuel pump +
brown/blue is ECU warning light. Wire this to brown/yellow choke light wire behind your Nova clocks
Green is your rev counter signal wire. there should be green in the loom in your nova behind the clocks already.
blue is water temp gauge wire. Wire this to blue behind your nova clocks.

Difference between XE and XEL:

Immobiliser signal wire is blue/black on Vectra looms, its blue/red on the XE.

Blue/black from rectangular plug goes to blue black in the transponder plug at ignition barrel.

Transponder at ignition barrel:

Red wire to battery 12v
black wire to ignition live supply
Brown straight to chassis/earth
brown/blue to your ECU warning light (brown/yellow choke wire)
blue/black to large rectangular plug for immobiliser signal
blue/red goes to the blue red wire at speed senderplug on gearbox.

Here's a quick list of the functions of all your wires:

Red - battery 12v
Black - ignition live
Brown - earth
Red/blue - fuel pump
brown/blue - ECU light
Green - rev counter
Blue/red - speed signal
blue/black - immobiliser signal wire
Blue - water temp gauge

AlexW
25-09-09, 11:07 AM
Sounds like its got a relay then, it might be duff.

Edit: I say change the relay for another, if it still dont work then il acualy bother to read all the above.

jonn
25-09-09, 11:12 AM
i only have one pink relay. will i try a diffrent colour one that will fit or does it need to be the pink one?

AlexW
25-09-09, 11:19 AM
Has to be a pink one.

General Baxter
25-09-09, 11:21 AM
quick question, which chip key are you using lol

Southie
25-09-09, 11:21 AM
pink one

PM Dod he may have one, he's across the waters so it will be easier.

jonn
25-09-09, 11:36 AM
i am using the vectra chip and key. when i turn on the ignition the relay does nothing but when i start the engine the relay clicks and closes so it must work.

AlexW
25-09-09, 12:47 PM
Check the wiring, and a clicking relay dont mean anything btw

jonn
25-09-09, 12:54 PM
ok i will check again