PDA

View Full Version : bleeding breaks...Help

jonn
24-09-09, 01:27 PM
hi i fitted 256mm discs and callipers a few weeks ago and i tried to bleed them today and i cant get any pedal it justs keeps going straight to the floor. the front and the back left looks bleed but the back right is not bleeding out not much air or fluid will come out. what should i do? please help :)

brainsnova
24-09-09, 01:35 PM
the brakes are bleed on the diagonal front left - back right and front right to back left. starting from the wheel furthest from the reservoir

GRUNT 16V
24-09-09, 01:36 PM
:d get a pressure bleeder to bleed your BRAKES makes for a much easier job :d

pikey1986
24-09-09, 01:39 PM
:d get a pressure bleeder to bleed your BRAKES makes for a much easier job :d

gunsons easy bleed kit ftw:thumb:

Stuart
24-09-09, 01:50 PM
just make sure you stick to the pressure in the tyre the bottle says.. too high and it pretty much soda streams the brake fluid lol

pikey1986
24-09-09, 02:07 PM
no more than 20psi iirc

jonn
24-09-09, 04:41 PM
i will try again 2morro i am out of brake fluid now lol

Lee
24-09-09, 05:02 PM
Check you installed the clip correctly on the callipers. if you install it wrong, the calliper will bend out instead of gripping the disc properly and it will feel like you have no brake pedal.

MARTIN KELSON
24-09-09, 08:47 PM
You got the callipers right way up?
Bleed nipple at the top????

If there wrong way round (right on the left & vise versa) the nipple is at the bottom & wont bleed.

Just a thought thats all.

Martin

jonn
24-09-09, 08:54 PM
i have the callipers on the wrong way then :wall: i never of thought of that thanks martin :thumb:

Rickardo
24-09-09, 08:55 PM
You got the callipers right way up?
Bleed nipple at the top????

If there wrong way round (right on the left & vise versa) the nipple is at the bottom & wont bleed.

Just a thought thats all.

Martin

My mate did the same the other week, he felt a right t*t when he figured it out. lol

MARTIN KELSON
24-09-09, 09:00 PM
i have the callipers on the wrong way then :wall: i never of thought of that thanks martin :thumb:

Mo worries mate.
Glad to help.

Swap em round and 'hopefully' you'll be sorted.

Let me know how you get on.

Martin

jonn
24-09-09, 09:21 PM
i have them swapped over now. i will get brake fluid 2morro and try again

dhdev (Oli)
25-09-09, 12:34 AM
May I suggest that you get someone competent in automotive repairs to check your work before heading out on to the public road. :wtf:

napalm_27
25-09-09, 12:48 AM
as soon as i saw the thread title i was going to say make sure there the right way round

Paul
25-09-09, 01:34 AM
May I suggest that you get someone competent in automotive repairs to check your work before heading out on to the public road. :wtf:

amen to that! You fitted brakes 2 weeksago and the small issue of bleeding them has only just crossed ur mind?
Dear o dear

jonn
25-09-09, 08:47 AM
my car is a project car since the last few months i am only 16 and the car is for off road racing. i just got a bit excited when i was fitting the new brakes! they should of made the callpiers only fit on the right way not both ways

Southie
25-09-09, 09:49 AM
Plum lol

burgo
25-09-09, 10:16 AM
everything i know is from trial and error so fair play for having a go and at least now you wont ever make the mistake again. like dhdev said tho with things like brakes just get someone who knows what they are doing to give it a quick once over once youve finished

dhdev (Oli)
25-09-09, 10:23 AM
everything i know is from trial and error so fair play for having a go and at least now you wont ever make the mistake again. like dhdev said tho with things like brakes just get someone who knows what they are doing to give it a quick once over once youve finished

Nicely put.

Stuart
25-09-09, 01:01 PM
they should of made the callpiers only fit on the right way not both ways

thus making the casting of the knuckles/brake caliper/other shizzle far more expensive!

better would be to have beel nipples top and bottom like 4pots have so that sides dont matter so much and one product can be made for both sides

dhdev (Oli)
25-09-09, 02:57 PM
thus making the casting of the knuckles/brake caliper/other shizzle far more expensive!

better would be to have beel nipples top and bottom like 4pots have so that sides dont matter so much and one product can be made for both sides

Adding cost again due to more machining an assembly ops, no chance! Hows about just letting competent people work on brakes :wisewood:

spanishfly
25-09-09, 03:16 PM
Best thing to do would be leave someone with qualifications to do it.

Rickardo
25-09-09, 03:25 PM
He is 16, at least he is trying.

He won't make the same mistake again that's for sure. :)

spanishfly
25-09-09, 04:38 PM
He is 16, at least he is trying.

He won't make the same mistake again that's for sure. :)

SO WHAT if he's 16...
Really does my nut in when I go out to a customer who ' was fixing my car and now this happens'... So rather than fix you meant to say you broke your car as you were trying to do something you can't...

MARTIN KELSON
25-09-09, 06:29 PM
Only reason i knew there was a right & wrong way was making that same mistake years ago when i first fitted 256 brakes.

Learn by your mistakes, just a shame it is a rather important part of the car to make the mistake on!!

On a better note have you now bled them & problem solved?

Martin

mowgli
25-09-09, 06:37 PM
but it is sort of basic knowledge for people that bleed nipples are near the top...because air rises in most liquids. or is gcse science really that bad these days????

Rickardo
25-09-09, 06:56 PM
SO WHAT if he's 16...
Really does my nut in when I go out to a customer who ' was fixing my car and now this happens'... So rather than fix you meant to say you broke your car as you were trying to do something you can't...

When i was 16 all i played with was my bmx and my d**k..

so fair play to the lad for having a go at least. :)

mowgli
25-09-09, 07:00 PM
when i was 16 i was mending my brothers scirocco mk1 and my sisters mini 850, and doing o levels (like gcse's but with learning)... fairly steep learning curve..

AlexW
25-09-09, 07:09 PM
Better than most, when i was 16 i was problery sat on my **** waiting to be 17

Nobby
25-09-09, 09:02 PM
i did this on my first brake upgrade i even filed down the flexi hose square bit to make them fit lmfao!! Only way you learn by making mistakes!! Cost me a master cylinder though hehe!

Lee
26-09-09, 02:16 AM
SO WHAT if he's 16...
Like ensuring your car wont spontaniously combust? lol

If no one had a go at stuff, no one would learn anything. is it really that much of a disaster that he fitted them wrong? He ended up not being able to bleed them properly, asked for advise and got it sorted. What the feck is wrong with that?

Different matter if he didn't get a pedal and thought, 'sod it, ill drive it anyway'. Or even worse, was worried he would be ridiculed for it and didnt ask for help at all!

brainsnova
26-09-09, 02:26 AM
when i was 16 i was kissing girls and dreaming of 1.3sr's

mowgli
26-09-09, 08:08 PM
when i was 16 i was kissing girls dreaming of 1.3sr's

how do you know that the girls were dreaming of 1.3sr's ??????

brainsnova
26-09-09, 08:17 PM
how do you know that the girls were dreaming of 1.3sr's ??????

edited lol

mowgli
26-09-09, 08:36 PM
edited lol

cough cough.

when i weas 17, i was driving a 1.2 merit and doing girls............

brainsnova
26-09-09, 08:39 PM
cough cough.

when i weas 17, i was driving a 1.2 merit and doing girls............

sorry sir when i was 17 i bought a 1.3sr :cool: and it sat in a garage for a year :roll: untill i past my test