PDA

View Full Version : Droaning Noise From The Rear...

vaughanmc
24-09-09, 12:45 PM
Since I changed the wheel over from the Speedlines to the Irmscher wheels I've noticed there is quite a loud droaning noise coming from the back

Depending on your speed it get's louder/faster - If you're doing 30 it's like every second or so but upto about 60/70 it's constant

The wheel-bearings were changed just before PVS 09 so I don't think it's them but I'm not 100% sure

I thought it could be a slight buckle in the wheel catching one of the shocks everytime the wheel goes round

Anyone any ideas what it could be as I'd really like it sorted for piece of mind :)

Cheers in advance,

Vaughan :thumb:

Jon_nova1
24-09-09, 12:49 PM
brake discs/shoes?

Southie
24-09-09, 01:08 PM
It could be a faulty wheel bearing. Jack it up and give the wheel a spin, put your ear near to the wheel and you should be able to tell if there's a droning noise.

GRUNT 16V
24-09-09, 01:40 PM
I Would Say Wheel Bearing !

tom_beverley
24-09-09, 02:24 PM
Could be the tyre isn't balanced properly, particularly if its only just occured after the wheel swap.

Best off checking for any rubbing too, you don't want the tyre wall to go during some spirited driving :eek:

vaughanmc
24-09-09, 02:57 PM
It rubs a wee bit on the passenger side just above where the shocker goes and a bit on the inner arch bit...Could it be that ?

Might need some wheel-spacers...

muzzy
24-09-09, 03:00 PM
Description sounds like a wheel bearing.

GRUNT 16V
24-09-09, 03:06 PM
jack it up and check for movement in the bearing by rocking the wheel rubbing wheels is more of a zip noise and not a droan

muzzy
24-09-09, 03:11 PM
Check they are greased up OK, although they were new it could be that they need some more grease on them.

brainsnova
24-09-09, 03:16 PM
the parts its rubbing on the inner arch i hit with a hammer to cure but if it touching the shocky either spacers or narrower tyres. but if theres play in the drums then that might sort it.

GDN16v
24-09-09, 03:20 PM
Try the speedlines back on to make sure it isnt the wheel bearing then you can rule that out and then refit the wheel and check other things!:thumb:

Just because the bearing was new not so long ago doesnt mean it cant be a fooked bearing!

Adam
24-09-09, 03:24 PM
Also who fitted the bearing? They can wear/fail mega quickly if they are not tightened correctly ;)
I assume it was done right tho :)

brainsnova
24-09-09, 03:29 PM
Also who fitted the bearing? They can wear/fail mega quickly if they are not tightened correctly ;)
I assume it was done right tho :)

agreed mine lasted a week after the m.o.t. the guy said there was play so i nipped it up and as i delivered my car to the seller the wheel started to rub when cornering :cry:. i hate those rear bearings.

vaughanmc
24-09-09, 03:37 PM
Aye it was done by the garage down the road and I'm good friends with the guy's boy so I'm sure it was done right

I'll get my wheel-spacers back on there and try that out if not I'll see about new bearings

Cheers

dougie_boi
24-09-09, 09:15 PM
jack the back wheel up in the air with handbrake off and spin the wheels to see if you can hear anything also wiggle and shake the wheel to see if theres any play in the bearing mate.

vaughanmc
24-09-09, 09:16 PM
Me and my Dad's going to have a look at it tomorrow :)

Cheers for the help folks :thumb:

vaughanmc
01-10-09, 05:44 PM
Jacked the car up off the ground - Spun the wheels...and no noise! So we reckon it can't be the bearings

Put my 3mm wheelspacers back on and ran the car and it's still making the droaning/rubbing noise

I reckon now it must be the wheel/tyre rubbing off the shock as theres a wee hole in the passenger shock cover at the top right where the wheel would be...

Anyone any other suggestions that I could look out for ?

Cheers, Vaughan

let_nova
01-10-09, 05:51 PM
did you wiggle the wheel to check for play?

let_nova
01-10-09, 05:52 PM
swap the wheels. like put the back ones on the front see if that changes it.

vaughanmc
01-10-09, 05:56 PM
I think all of them have small buckle's in them - Never noticed it with the Speedlines and there half an inch wider lol

let_nova
01-10-09, 05:58 PM
front wheel bearing ? may just sound like its coming from the rear.

vaughanmc
01-10-09, 06:00 PM
My Dad thought that...Going to look into them :thumb:

Cheers mate

I thought he was full of it but if you reckon that then it could be...

let_nova
01-10-09, 06:01 PM
very possible.

let me know

vaughanmc
01-10-09, 06:06 PM
Will do mate :thumb: Cheers

When you picking the Sport up ?

let_nova
01-10-09, 08:06 PM
not sure paid deposit the other day, sometime after mull rally

vaughanmc
05-10-09, 07:23 AM
The back passenger wheel bearing had slight play in it so that's it now tightened back up and also the rear shock cover (Plastic bit that goes round about it) had a hole in it where the tyre had been rubbing and was catching the wheel/tyre...It's all out the way now and the car is back to normal making it's normal noise

Thank f*ck for that :thumb: