PDA

View Full Version : XE oil leak

vx kev
23-09-09, 08:43 PM
Had the same problem with this engine for years. :mad:
Im getting oil dripping out the flywheel inspection plate. Changed the sump gasket a trillon times, crankshaft oil seal changed as many times even the sump and still after a wee while it creeps back. Drip Drip Drip :wtf:
Check the end cap everytime with no wear or sharp edges to tear the seal.
Someone said that sometimes the oil works its way through the flywheel bolts but with this in mind i would have contamination on the clutch which is always dry as a bone. Other thing that was said that the grooves on the side of the end cap where it slides into the block should have sealer in it, is this the case??????????
Cant think of anything else???????????? Any ideas folks please??????
Really want this fixed as its doing my box in, all the other usual suspects leak wise are Mint :eek:

mowgli
23-09-09, 08:51 PM
breather blocked causing crankcase overpressure perhaps??

John
23-09-09, 09:05 PM
Rear main carrier not sealed correctly.

yayoboy
23-09-09, 09:38 PM
as above, i seal mine with the proper gm sealant, ill dig the pt no out for you, if the sealant here has gone or a cheap crappy sealant has been used it will leak quite badly

yayoboy
23-09-09, 09:39 PM
93165267, there ya go

edit, iirc its about 6 quid

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 10:35 PM
I had this on mine, and it came out from around the oil filter too

turns out it was because i didn't have any copper washers on the nuts for the oil cooler so pressure was building in the bottom end as the oil had nowhere to go

vx kev
24-09-09, 08:35 PM
I had this on mine, and it came out from around the oil filter too

turns out it was because i didn't have any copper washers on the nuts for the oil cooler so pressure was building in the bottom end as the oil had nowhere to go

No leaks from anywhere else, just at flywheel end. Makes a change eh! Breathers are all spot on aswell so build up of pressure is very doubtful :d

vx kev
24-09-09, 08:46 PM
John H &
as above, i seal mine with the proper gm sealant, ill dig the pt no out for you, if the sealant here has gone or a cheap crappy sealant has been used it will leak quite badly

Its pretty much the only thing left that it can be after all this time as i never used any sealant on the carrier as i didnt think it was necessary :roll:
Although i did ponder why there was traces of sealant in the grooves of the carrier :tard:

Ahh well, looks like a job for rainy day. Take the engine out and try again :cry:

Cheers for the pointers folks :thumb:

yayoboy
26-09-09, 08:36 AM
dont think its an engine out job, i reckon you could do it in place... Just make sure you use the gm sealent

let_nova
26-09-09, 08:42 AM
sealant Part number: 90485251

Courtnova16v
26-09-09, 12:29 PM
vx kev - I'm having the same issue, let me know how you get on if you don't mind. Thanks.

scott.parker
26-09-09, 01:36 PM
Mine did it slightly from there before sump gasket change, but has stopped now, but im getting a leak from round near the filter area, think mien's coming from the cooler pipe ware it joins to the rubber section from solid.

Scott

vx kev
26-09-09, 06:51 PM
Xe's are an absolute pain in the backside for oil leaks. Just when you think you've got one sorted another appears, Its messing up my nicely painted underside :mad:

Was going to take the engine out to do the crank seal again but have decided just to take the sump off and do the end carrier and hope for the best.
Fingers crossed it il solve it once and for all :thumb:
But if not then the engine will be coming out again and take it from there :cry:

Hopeing to get it done this week so will post up how it get on ;)

Paul
27-09-09, 03:46 PM
i was expecting to read my sump gasket is leaking lol

vx kev
30-09-09, 08:27 PM
Well having removed the rear main bearing cap, found it had no sealer what so ever left in the grooves! Filled them up with the said sealer and put it back in, slapped yet another new sump gasket on it (Gaskets for classics on ebay ftw, next day delivery :thumb:)
Still find a tiny wee even skim of the same sealer round the gasket helps to seal it properly. Too much and it makes it uneven and results in a leak and none at all, well never seen it done and it not leaked :roll:
So gonna leave it for a few days before putting oil back in it and finger crossed, leak solved once and for all. :tard:

John
30-09-09, 08:31 PM
Not gone for the rubber gasket mod then?

vx kev
30-09-09, 08:34 PM
Not gone for the rubber gasket mod then?

Na, im not keen on this myself! Done it to a customers XE corsa at their request recently but i'l just stick to the proper one for now as i seem to have cracked it :eek:

vx kev
14-10-09, 07:59 PM
vx kev - I'm having the same issue, let me know how you get on if you don't mind. Thanks.

Just to let you know problem solved! Turns out the end main bearing cap should have sealer in the grooves down each side after all :roll: