PDA

View Full Version : wiring up two subs and one amp

djp_y2k
07-03-03, 06:38 PM
I've got two kicker L7 12" subs dual voice coils, each coil is 4 ohms

the amp is a KX1200.1 mono class D amp

I have been told to wire them up in parallel so that I can run the amp at 1 ohm. SO that the amp gives out wot it should and the subs get enough power shoved up there rear.

Does this sound right.

If not wot do you suggest?

whitey
08-03-03, 03:18 AM
YEP! The usbs should come with a diagram of how to wire them and what impediance this will bring! Do them parallel and im pretty sure you get 1ohm!

Just check in book or look on the net!

djp_y2k
08-03-03, 07:34 PM
Cheers mate, I will check when I get them through.

Wiggie
11-03-03, 09:51 AM
:? ...im most likly to be wrong at this time in the morning but 4 ohm in paralel wouldnt make 1 0hm...2 0hm i think. but any1 care to second that? /prove me wrong?

whitey
11-03-03, 02:27 PM
Parallel Connection:

If you have two 4 ohm speakers connected in parallel, the total impedance is 4/2 or 2 ohms.

As on http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/spkrmlti.htm

and ohms law!

Wiggie
11-03-03, 02:53 PM
...so i was right?

thats a prety mint site, like it, how did you find it?

whitey
11-03-03, 02:58 PM
Sorry, i thought he meant 2 2 0hm subs into 1 ohm! But with some DVC subs it is possible to put them to 1 Ohm in parallel! My Pioneer one is capable of it! JUST need a fcuk off amp to power it!

A mate told me bout it! IT is amazing! SO much stuff! You could spend a life time reading it, especially if you goto the homepage! Their is sub woofer enclousure size calculators and loads more!

Everything audio properly explained basically!

Wiggie
11-03-03, 03:06 PM
yeah things like that arwe always help for backing up your own knowlage. exelnt read,
i did that wid me mates amp, got it down to 1 ohm...dint last long, the amp was dean within the week...but i spoze that what you get for being stingy

Wiggie

whitey
11-03-03, 03:31 PM
I wouldnt call it stingy! Just want more power! I could run my amp at 2 ohms but wont because it will die quicker and my car is as loud as fcuk running at 4 ohms!

Id only go for 1 ohm if i paid for a 1 ohm stable directed, audio bahn or RF amplifer. But not cheap!

Wiggie
11-03-03, 03:33 PM
nah that aint what i was sayin, i mean my m8 paid shitty prices for his amp ...there for he got a shitty amp that couldnt handel less than 4 ohm.

no offence meant

Wiggie

whitey
11-03-03, 03:43 PM
Yeah i know that! But 2 ohm amps are expensive as fcuk and as for 1 ohm, better get a mortgage! And thats more the low power ones!

The directed ones which will run at 1000watts RMS at 1ohm are over ?600 and they are the lower end ones!

djp_y2k
20-03-03, 10:59 AM
No it does equal 1 ohm

There are two 4 ohm voice coils on each sub, so you can link of it as 4, 4 ohm subs.

I found a website that showed how it is done with diagrams. Cant remember wot is was called though.

whitey
20-03-03, 12:40 PM
Look at the site above it will be as good as any!