PDA

View Full Version : What security do you have for your nova

Markd89
22-09-09, 09:50 PM
Just wondered what security people have, i dont have enough money for a decent alarm and have just put a £30 one in and its not the best.
I normally take the king lead off on a night is that the best thing to do ?

mowgli
22-09-09, 09:52 PM
not discussing it in too much detail on a public forum is a good idea for a start...

there are loads of things that can be done, but i'm not going to start naming stuff.

Stuart
22-09-09, 09:52 PM
leave it unlocked, immoblised and no valuables in there.... no fecker will touch it as it will look far too dodgy :d

Markd89
22-09-09, 09:54 PM
leave it unlocked, immoblised and no valuables in there.... no fecker will touch it as it will look far too dodgy :d

lol im thinking of a cut off switch hidden somewhere so no ignition can be gained for now as a cheap option

mowgli
22-09-09, 09:56 PM
i am not a car thief, but I can get a carb nova running in a couple of minutes without any keys. they are really that basic...

Markd89
22-09-09, 10:00 PM
i am not a car thief, but I can get a carb nova running in a couple of minutes without any keys. they are really that basic...

i have injection so thats ok, i suppose :eek:

Novasport
22-09-09, 10:03 PM
Disc locks are good.

Lee H
22-09-09, 10:06 PM
Another good shout for diskloks here, have them on all three of my cars.

Joys of living in Greater Manchester!

Markd89
22-09-09, 10:07 PM
just got our lasses lock for free.
it attaches to the gear stick and the hand break
the only way to change gear is if you cut it in half

( or some stays under the car and changes manually for u lol )

mowgli
22-09-09, 10:08 PM
i have injection so thats ok, i suppose :eek:

i can get my 1.6 gte engine running in about the same time without a key too

brainsnova
22-09-09, 10:09 PM
leave the keys in it and weigh the boot down as seen in gone in 60 seconds.

Iain
22-09-09, 10:09 PM

Can you not remove it by taking the gearknob off?

brainsnova
22-09-09, 10:11 PM
Can you not remove it by taking the gearknob off?

not the standard nova one lol

mowgli
22-09-09, 10:13 PM
just got our lasses lock for free.
it attaches to the gear stick and the hand break

( or some stays under the car and changes manually for u lol )

those locks are crap.... if you try to break one off, you'll see why.

Novasport
22-09-09, 10:22 PM
A couple of good security devices, not sure on the legality of te first one tho lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbjgXbDUzo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc

Johnny A
22-09-09, 10:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFPKxJUjAy0&NR=1

Spudly
22-09-09, 10:28 PM
Snap off steering wheel and a good quality allarm/immobiliser ftw, or do as i have, lock up unit, no battery and no wiring loom lol

Ernie
22-09-09, 10:49 PM
the ecu is next to me now.

Jon_nova1
22-09-09, 11:45 PM
you can get carb or injection novas running without keys

hazard switch mod ftw

depends what your running, 2 litre for example, you could put the ignition live to the loom on a switch, the car will just keep turning over, i don't think a twocers going to sit in a car for too long turning it over lol

or as Stu said, just leave it unlocked, maybe even put a post it note on the steering wheel saying "why do you think i left the car unlocked?" lol

wwmnw
22-09-09, 11:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFPKxJUjAy0&NR=1

lol:cry:lol:cry:lol That is ****ing awesome.

AlexW
22-09-09, 11:50 PM
Most people fit imoblisers on the fuel pump wire anyway, that or the ECU supply.

Even if they mange to rip apart my dash and hack all my wiring id still hear my car start.

Plus my tigra wont start without the key anyway!

Jack
22-09-09, 11:53 PM
Park the Celica in the way.

Jon_nova1
22-09-09, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't immobilise the fuel pump, would be too easy to work around

If your fitting your own immobiliser, its best doing what the pros don't do, that way any decent car thief would be stumped.

My sisters other half had a redtop with an immobiliser and 2 alarms cat 1 fitted by a pro and it still went!

wwmnw
23-09-09, 12:05 AM
I have a Thatchman approved immobiliser on mine and a steering lock.

AlexW
23-09-09, 12:06 AM
You havnt got many options, doing the starter trigger is useless as it only needs to be bumped, fuel pump and ecu supplys are the only things to do really.

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 12:11 AM
yep, wouldn't do the starter either

I would do ecu and spark at a hard to bypass place, put alarm switches at the top of the doors, alarm in a hard to cut place (rather than randomly placed in the engine bay like some)

MK999
23-09-09, 12:15 AM
Change the colour of wires every 6 inches lol

brainsnova
23-09-09, 12:20 AM
http://i517.photobucket.com/albums/u331/Brain_missing/you_cant_park_there_1284.jpg

davidfox280585
23-09-09, 12:30 AM
clifford concept 650 on the nova with intellistart and ultrasonics for perimeter control i need this as the roof is press studded on lol

sparkie1401
23-09-09, 12:37 AM
Toad cat 1, disklock two cars behind, padlocked gate and a tazer(no joke)

gazjoiner
23-09-09, 02:49 AM
Just wondered what security people have, i dont have enough money for a decent alarm and have just put a £30 one in and its not the best.
I normally take the king lead off on a night is that the best thing to do ?

get a couple of these on the back seats for now :thumb: lol
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm7/gazjoiner/dsc01104.jpg

Asa-James
23-09-09, 08:31 AM
Park the Celica in the way.

my nova stays in the garage unlocked with my cav parked out front. it aint going anywhere lol

Guderian
23-09-09, 08:49 AM
'autolok' from handbrake to gearlever. basic minimum but they seem to last forever

Ernie
23-09-09, 09:32 AM
there sh1t. bash it with a hammer and see what happends. sorry to post that but they really are that bad.

GRUNT 16V
23-09-09, 10:38 AM
I had a toad alarm with a toad power key immob a thatcham jobbie steering lock and a watchful owner with a baseball bat !

GRUNT 16V
23-09-09, 10:39 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:44qEDVysp8Wd7M:http://www.lkperformancestyling.co.uk/images/catalogues/disklok/titanium.jpg (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.lkperformancestyling.co.uk/images/catalogues/disklok/titanium.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.lkperformancestyling.co.uk/catalogue/disklok.html&usg=__HQPC1nsavtRwJrZkUvqFQMoLNB0=&h=321&w=320&sz=39&hl=en&start=14&um=1&tbnid=44qEDVysp8Wd7M:&tbnh=118&tbnw=118&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dthatcam%2Bwheel%2Block%26hl%3Den%26rl s%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1)
these ftw:thumb:

Nova_Tek
23-09-09, 11:09 AM
Fit any alarm of your choice and put a very angry, hungy, rage filled Rotwiler (sp) in the back seat and coincidently this crazy dog gets further enraged by cheap sounding alarm sirens that go off.

Or save up for a few months get yourself a good alarm (dual zone perimeter, shock, door, boot, bonnet & tilt sensors) with an imobiliser & maybe some security film. Modify your door pins so they retract right down and cannot be pulled up by hand (like the newer VDub's and most new cars come to think of it)

:thumb:

General Baxter
23-09-09, 11:24 AM
http://www.uniclamp.co.uk/images/products/wheel-clamp.jpg

oh wow its only £160 :)

Rysee
23-09-09, 11:27 AM
Your all wrong... if your car is worth stealing they aren't going to start it on your drive, they'll trailer it away and work on it somewhere else. happens all too often or they'll burgle your house for the keys

My nan's neighbours son came home from Germany(squadie) 1st night he was back bye bye R32 broke in through the back door

Back door - minimal security

jord4n
23-09-09, 11:34 AM
if i really feel i need to do something i just take all the plug leads off, now i dont hear of to many thieves that carry spears with them. just remember with order they go in.

jord

General Baxter
23-09-09, 11:38 AM
mine dont have an alarm lol

you need a steering wheel and a ricon isoation switch to even get power to mine lol

AlexW
23-09-09, 11:46 AM
Your all wrong... if your car is worth stealing they aren't going to start it on your drive, they'll trailer it away and work on it somewhere else. happens all too often or they'll burgle your house for the keys

My nan's neighbours son came home from Germany(squadie) 1st night he was back bye bye R32 broke in through the back door

Happend to one of my mates, bye bye skyline.

Unless the theif finds my flat, out of 20 then the tigra would be staying put.
Nova on the other hand, its parked behind a couple of cars, theres nothing of value in the car and its got no petrol.

letvalva
23-09-09, 11:59 AM
dont matter what you have, none of it stops them really just slows them down, if they want your car they will take it.

brainsnova
23-09-09, 12:04 PM
a silent pager alarm can be a bonus to catch the ****ers.

muzzy
23-09-09, 12:06 PM
dont matter what you have, none of it stops them really just slows them down, if they want your car they will take it.

Too true :(

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 12:45 PM
so what your saying is theres no point in having security, because it doesn't stop them?

Rysee
23-09-09, 12:51 PM
It doesn't stop them if your car is worth taking, however if chavs want to joyride a xe/let nova then maybe some security would stop them

I saw a Cav turbo no petrol, no battery, 2 cars blocking it in, a focus and something else, they moved them to take the tubby on a trailer. In a million pieces before the police even get off their arses

mayhem
23-09-09, 02:58 PM
none.

my previous nova was never locked, radio front in sight. just a fake LED flashing on the dash...

the broke in into my neightbours car (parked behind mine).

and his 106 has full alarm, car was locked, and he had the front of the radio in the house. the took his sub and amp lmfao

Southie
23-09-09, 03:16 PM
How about fitting this CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSbjgXbDUzo&NR=1)

or this lol CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHAW8kb5vA)

peester
23-09-09, 03:35 PM
never left it outside of a garage overnight

MK999
23-09-09, 04:19 PM
or this lol CLICKY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJHAW8kb5vA)

Trunk monkey ftmfw :) Mine wouldn't work though, I don't have any kind of covered boot :(

brainsnova
23-09-09, 05:18 PM
alarms are good if your in range of hearing the alarm sounding. an immobliser slows them down or turns a pety **** away. a smoke machine would spoil any attempt to steal as they cant see nothing lol

Spudly
23-09-09, 05:25 PM
a smoke machine would spoil any attempt to steal as they cant see nothing lol

But why would anyone need to see anything inside the vehicle to drag it up onto a recovery truck.....?

brainsnova
23-09-09, 05:27 PM
But why would anyone need to see anything inside the vehicle to drag it up onto a recovery truck.....?

:cry: never thought of that.

Spudly
23-09-09, 05:29 PM
:cry: never thought of that.

Exactly, it doesnt matter how secure you make the vehicle, if it can be winched up and someone wants it bad enough, they will get it and there is nothing you can do!

muzzy
23-09-09, 05:30 PM
If a theif wants something they are going to have it especially when dealing with older cars such as Nova's. If its just some kids looking for something to nick to joyride then an alarm and/or immobiliser is quite likely to deter them.

Mike
23-09-09, 05:32 PM
You can have all the security in the world...itll only slow them down.

Your very best bet is if you can hide the vehicle do it (garage, unit etc) DONT use a car cover on your driveway as its as good as saying "whats underneath is prized, therefore worth some dollar" and dont leave yourself wide open for it (bragging down local pub youve got a LET & a £10k stereo system)

Other then that, most other methods of security on any car will only slow them down.

Oh and anti tilt sensors aren't actually that hard to get around when nicking alloys either.

Jack
23-09-09, 05:38 PM
Don't tell that to stuart! lol

Having a sh!t car is a good deterrent. I mean who'd want to steal a gay blue Nova saloon lol

muzzy
23-09-09, 05:44 PM
Someone stole one of my old Nova's and then put it back outside my house again after wrecking a driveshaft and using half a tank of fuel. They stole some pens, £1.20, 6x9's that didnt work and 2 cigarettes. lol

Mike
23-09-09, 05:46 PM
Thinking about it actually, the two best products on the market today IMHO is a decent tracker & a Blackjax.

Thats what Id have installed again if I had a modified/ultra theft factor motor again.

LEWI007
23-09-09, 05:54 PM
You could put one of those sms things that sends you a text when its messed with, and a GPS in the car that shows where it is, that way you can just go after them and they wont get away.

Mike
23-09-09, 05:55 PM
You could put one of those sms things that sends you a text when its messed with, and a GPS in the car that shows where it is, that way you can just go after them and they wont get away.

Why wont they get away? Because you can run as fast your car?? What do you do if your phones on silent whilst you sleep?

You could also stop investing in sh1t cheap car security, this factor might see your prized motor still on your driveway the morning after the night before.

The lata being a far more effective idea if i do say so myself....

LEWI007
23-09-09, 05:57 PM
No because you can tell the police or get in another car and go after them.

propably better to have a good alarm and immobiliser though.

Mike
23-09-09, 05:58 PM
No because you can tell the police or get in another car and go after them.

propably better to have a good alarm and immobiliser though.

Your funny lol lol ill just keep a "spare car" on my drive for just in case then shall i? Hang on, what happens if the spare gets nicked too??

Have you ever had a car stolen?

LEWI007
23-09-09, 06:06 PM
Yes a mk2 nova that was missing 2 windows, the ignition was already hanging out and was in the roughest area in sunderland on a field with a fence around it....

accident waiting to happen.

Mike
23-09-09, 06:13 PM
Yes a mk2 nova that was missing 2 windows, the ignition was already hanging out and was in the roughest area in sunderland on a field with a fence around it....

accident waiting to happen.

So you reported it to the police & let me guess, they didnt give a fcuk.

That being my point exactly.

As far as there concerned its not there problem as its not there vehicle. If it was insured then they dont care, if it wasnt then its your own problem.

There was a high profile case in the Birmingham area a few years ago where 8 people were connected with 78+ high profile/power/value cars were stolen. Each one taken without a sound or sight & never seen again.

All were insured with a combined cost over £1 million. All were reported & the response was a public outcry that the police TBH didnt really care as a) they were insured and b) once there gone, its outta there hands until they show up again.

1 did show up. In a container, on a ship, making its way to Africa. Some one started it & activated the tracker. Was it pursed? Was it fcuk.

My point being, do what you like, but if its marked its as good as gone regardless what you do to it. Any security is better then none, but if some one wants it they'll sure as damn take it chap.

Spudly
23-09-09, 06:32 PM
As said, nothing you can do to stop em, even if you have all the trackers and all singing all dancing alarms on your car, they will just break into your house and go for the weakest link in your security system, you and your family!

Case example, Howell Jones (old skool members will know him) had his back door on his house smashed through one night in the small hours to find four blokes in balaclavas and bearing machete's demanding his car keys (brand spanking astra VXR sat on the drive)

If they want it, they will get it, and doing things like taking your keys to bed wont stop them if theyre prepared to do you or your house over for them!

Or they will just jack you in traffic, knife or gun to your head/neck at lights, and youre not really gonna argue are you?

Pistol Pete
23-09-09, 07:37 PM
I have a Clifford Concept 600 on my Nova, withg a few added extras. TBH, as already said, if a theiving twunt wants to pinch your/a car they will do what ever is nessecary to get ot.

Jon_nova1
23-09-09, 11:02 PM
I know someone that had the fuel pump on a switch, if it wasn't pressed within 20 seconds of the car starting, the fuel got cut off, yes someone may steal your keys, but they'd be f*cked when they got stranded in the middle of the road lol

brainsnova
24-09-09, 12:10 AM
get a small sticker saying "the owner of this car can punch 300/min in the event of an attempted theft"

scott.parker
24-09-09, 12:34 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ1jfhaL3Ec&feature=related

brainsnova
24-09-09, 12:43 AM
i thought it works on old vacuum locking systems from the 80's lol

J4MES
24-09-09, 01:05 PM
Case example, Howell Jones (old skool members will know him) had his back door on his house smashed through one night in the small hours to find four blokes in balaclavas and bearing machete's demanding his car keys (brand spanking astra VXR sat on the drive)

If they want it, they will get it, and doing things like taking your keys to bed wont stop them if theyre prepared to do you or your house over for them!

Or they will just jack you in traffic, knife or gun to your head/neck at lights, and youre not really gonna argue are you?

Thats an extreme example, this is the UK not South Africa FFS!!

Talk about scaremongering!!

But, do agree that if they want something badly enough, not much will stop them.

Mike
24-09-09, 05:37 PM
Thats an extreme example, this is the UK not South Africa FFS!!

You wanna bet ehh.

Go over to the MLR site, using site search type in "stolen" an read the threads on there :thumb: at least 3 a week, most of which being traffic light car jacks, burglaries gone viscous & people getting beat senseless for car keys.

So no, Spud's typings aint an example.

Jon_nova1
24-09-09, 09:56 PM
agree with the above, taken from a warrington cruise site...

i recieved a phone call off my dad at around 0100hrs sunday 17th August to inform me that he had been held at knife point by two intruders, who had then taken my keys then proceeded to drive off in my highly modified Colt!!!!!

i got a taxi home straight away to deal with the situation.......

i returned home to find that my dad had been in the kitchen while the two intruders had entered through the unlocked front door... removed my keys from the "key basket".....

my dad heard keys jangle... and thought it was unusual i was home so early... went to the hall to see two balaclava clad scallies exiting the house and going towards the Colt... he ran out (in his dressing gown ..... as threatening as that sounds...) to be told by the "driver" ... to just walk away ... whilst brandishing a Knife!!!!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Petrol_ed/Colt/Newapapercolttheft.jpg