PDA

View Full Version : Late sr vinyl colour options.

Nick J
22-09-09, 06:17 PM
Hi all,

Not the type of help Id guess you'd think Id be asking for but I'd like to explore all options before commiting myself. In the near future I will be painting a new set of wheels for my car plus other bits and pieces. Now what Id like is a colour that matches as well as possible to the original late blue/grey sr vinyls. Ive been doing numerous test cards recently but havent really found one Im 100% on. Please remember the late vinyl is a very different colour to the early vinyl. This rules out colours like Rover hurricane grey which Ive heard mentioned before as Ive checked that paint chip already and its pants! It must be a solid base colour not a metallic grey etc. What Id like to know is what colours have you used or have heard of being a good match? Any manufacturer colour name or code I can easily check for on our databases at work. Any help/advice would be appreciated as like I say Id like to look at all options I can. Thanks.

Nick.

Rexy
22-09-09, 06:28 PM
As per msn, but three kicked me off.

Just get it matched from a paint company, miles easier than trying to find a colour as they have more tinters to play about with...

Or If you have a big enough scheme, do your own.

JordyzNova
22-09-09, 06:32 PM
i have painted my bumpers in audi all-road side skirts colour looks near same ?

Nick J
22-09-09, 06:33 PM
As per msn, but three kicked me off.

Just get it matched from a paint company, miles easier than trying to find a colour as they have more tinters to play about with...

Or If you have a big enough scheme, do your own.

I know what your saying fella But Im not doing the full car... Yet! so I dont want to be pulling a piece of the vinyl off for them to match to if it can be avoided. Which Im sure for now it can. Id just like to know what people have used then I can find the colour and check a colour chip to see if its anywere near etc.

Nick.

Nick J
22-09-09, 06:36 PM
i have painted my bumpers in audi all-road side skirts colour looks near same ?

Can you expand on that at all fella? Is there a particlular name or code for it at all?

Riggy
22-09-09, 06:40 PM
nick i have a piece of gen gm door piller vynal for a gsi in the blue grey colour that i have been trying to get matched for about a year ,your welcome to cut some off if you want to find a match

Rexy
22-09-09, 06:41 PM
there we go nick.... get that matched note the tinters and sell the paint whooo :D

Nick J
22-09-09, 07:06 PM
nick i have a piece of gen gm door piller vynal for a gsi in the blue grey colour that i have been trying to get matched for about a year ,your welcome to cut some off if you want to find a match

Pm on route Riggy! :)

Please continue with replies people as the more options I have the better!

Nick.

Novasport
22-09-09, 08:56 PM
When I had my old SR back in the late nineties I had to replace the wing. I had the vinyl painted and it was a perfect match. Also the facelift Mk1 bumpers could be painted the blue/grey colour. I am sure Vauxhall sold the paint and you could also get it as an aerosol. I have a friend at a dealer that has been looking into it for me but so far with no luck.
There was someone else on here that was looking into a paint code from Vauxhall but not sure how far they got with it. I have looked on EPC and a couple of Vauxhall body repair books but cannot find anything listed on there. If it was available it would be on a bodyshop update etc I would have thought.

John
22-09-09, 09:20 PM
Nick, just a thought, have you seen the sr vynil in the shop? Ade has it fitted to his late sr iirc. Might be worth a pm to check the clour?

Nick J
22-09-09, 10:10 PM
When I had my old SR back in the late nineties I had to replace the wing. I had the vinyl painted and it was a perfect match. Also the facelift Mk1 bumpers could be painted the blue/grey colour. I am sure Vauxhall sold the paint and you could also get it as an aerosol. I have a friend at a dealer that has been looking into it for me but so far with no luck.
There was someone else on here that was looking into a paint code from Vauxhall but not sure how far they got with it. I have looked on EPC and a couple of Vauxhall body repair books but cannot find anything listed on there. If it was available it would be on a bodyshop update etc I would have thought.

You know Rich I didnt actually think of that.... As it was supplied in vinyl I didnt think it would be also available in paint form. I can however use our computer at work to search for specific vinyl/bumper colours under any manufacturer so I'll have a look tommorow to see if anything comes up. Thanks for that.

John, I did think of that however the club shop states only black is available at the moment with more colours to follow later But not as yet. Thanks though. ;)

Nick.