PDA

View Full Version : JPEG Re-size help

Nova_Tek
22-09-09, 03:36 PM
Im in the process of doing a slideshow of my wedding with all the pics that were taken.

I have scanned the photos at high res 400dpi. Im outputting the actual slideshow video at 16:9 either at 1280x720 (720p HD) or 1920x1080 (1080i HD).

Now coz the photos are huge the video software is going to resize them to the HD resolution which will probably make them look a bit soft and not as sharp. (Saw the preview)

All the photos that are landscape view i.e photos that were 3800 x 2900 for example I have resized in photoshop to 1920x1080 making them 16:9 with no need for the video software to resize them.

I need help to work out what resolution I should resize the portrait view photos. i.e ones that are 2900x3800. I can't do the same resize in photoshop as I did with the others coz it looks stretched. I need them to fit properly into the 1920x1080 resolution so they look sharp.

I have a feeling I maybe missing something as this should be straight forward, so any ideas?

:thumb:

Jack
22-09-09, 04:54 PM
Either crop them to shape or retain the aspect ratio when resizing

OR add borders to make them up to the required ratio.

Prey
22-09-09, 04:59 PM
Agreed - crop if poss or borders, if you can try to get a nice vector design or something to fill the space in an intended way rather than jus loads of black!

Nova_Tek
22-09-09, 06:21 PM
Either crop them to shape or retain the aspect ratio when resizing

OR add borders to make them up to the required ratio.

That's a point, I'll check to see if the constraints box is ticked. Maybe thats why it looks crap when resizing.

I see what you are saying Prey but I will be doing some zoom and panning with the photos so its not just a still picture with black around.

:thumb:

Nova_Tek
22-09-09, 10:53 PM
Sorted it! Overlooked the ratio constraints box.

Cheers lads :thumb: