PDA

View Full Version : Turbo'ing DHLA's

Nick
22-09-09, 02:59 PM
This is not another Random E16SE Turbo thread... :thumb:

I'm in the process of rebuilding my DHLA-H 40's. There is an upgrade kit for the DHLA-H's to enable you to run them in turbo applications.
And finally there are DHLA-L's which are 40 Alfa Guiletta Turbo carbs ! Wooo..

The way i see it is that i should probably try aquire a reasonably priced pair of good cond DHLA-L's ... And next option just rebuild my DHLA-H's with a turbo conversion kit.

1 . E16SE - Will 40mm be adequate for charged use ? or should i look at the DHLA-M's which are 45mm.

2 . i've been told the M's have more progression jets (6 IIRC, rather than 3) to enable better response to boost. Will this be the same for the L's ?

3 . Mappable ignition... eaton m52(?) Charger .... Am i actually going to beable to find someone to set-up the carbs; and if so, is it going to be a waste of time ?

4 . Am i asking unanswerable questions and should i try my luck on an esprit forum ?

Fabrication wise, i'l be sorted. Charger wise, i have the entire set-up from a Cooper-S.

burgo
22-09-09, 03:08 PM
might be worth searching the v-dub world mate as i know the use twin 40 style carbs alot when they turbo bug engines

Nick
22-09-09, 03:21 PM
Awesome... + rep

craig green
22-09-09, 03:53 PM
Sit the carbs within a sealed box. Basically you need to equalize the pressure outside them to the pressure within.

Stuart
22-09-09, 03:57 PM
Sit the carbs within a sealed box. Basically you need to equalize the pressure outside them to the pressure within.

but making that seal will be a slag when you consider getting the throttle cable into it

Nick
22-09-09, 04:20 PM
Yeah, i think with the availability of the Upgrade kits; using a sealed box is just tooo much hard work !

Sloth
22-09-09, 05:08 PM
the carbs bug lads use are ida's the downdraft version of dcoe's. tbhj why not run bike bodies and a swedish plenum and megasquirt? carbs and boost ends in tears. only other option is nail a reno 5 gtt carb to a sri carb mani and use that.

Nick
22-09-09, 05:13 PM
It's an idea, as i pretty much have all the parts to hand - Apart from the ignition managment.

Stuart
22-09-09, 05:15 PM
I'd do it purely because the sewage pipe of all things boosty and 8v'y says its a bad idea lol

Mike
22-09-09, 05:20 PM
I'd do it purely because the sewage pipe of all things boosty and 8v'y says its a bad idea lol

+1 :)

philip
22-09-09, 05:42 PM
the carbs bug lads use are ida's the downdraft version of dcoe's

not entirely true.

the 40, 44's and 48s mainly used for the street are known as IDF's. they have i think 3 progression holes whereas the 48IDA's only have 2, so most people favour the IDF's for street use unless they just dont mind the stop/starting.

ill see if i can find anything out for you. im sure theres someone like john maher racing who machine the carbs to take the seals.

Adam
22-09-09, 06:41 PM
Is it just me thats thinking f**k the carbs off and just use the standard 1600 mpi inlet and a go-tech ecu or something

Or is that just not the point of this thread?

Sloth
22-09-09, 09:18 PM
its cos he has the carbs. but tbh id go for gixer bodies and a swedish plenum. but id want 190 bhp lol

Balley
22-09-09, 09:35 PM
the carbs bug lads use are ida's the downdraft version of dcoe's. tbhj why not run bike bodies and a swedish plenum and megasquirt? carbs and boost ends in tears. only other option is nail a reno 5 gtt carb to a sri carb mani and use that.

there no such thing, and a sr1400 has the wrong shaped ports

Paul
23-09-09, 04:09 PM
Bike carbs just dont work on car engines-FACT

MK999
23-09-09, 04:26 PM
Bike carbs just dont work on car engines-FACT

Why do you say that? Seen a fair few bike carb conversions run successfully, just wondering in what capacity they don't 'work'? I know chimps bike carbed xe is quite capable of fuelling correctly across the rev range and also managed something like 175bhp with some unreasonably high leak test figures. I can't see anything else you'd expect to get out of them? :confused:

burgo
23-09-09, 04:32 PM
Bike carbs just dont work on car engines-FACTthats not true at all. my brother removed the standard twin carbs off his talbot for bike carbs and he gets much better fuel economy, it runs sooooo much smoother and is more responsive

philip
23-09-09, 05:14 PM
bike carbs will give same overall power and better mid too compared to webbers